Am I the only one enjoying Wolfenstein 3D?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tblrsa, Aug 18, 2011.

1. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #1 tblrsa, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
    Let´s face it, Wolfenstein 3D is old. It does not feature many different enemies to fight, the wall textures are all the same per level and there are only 4 weapons. One should think it does get quite repetitive, right? Wrong, somehow it is still a very special game. It´s better than Doom even, if you ask me. I do love the clean, straight forward design of this game.

Wolfenstein 3D translates very well on the iPhone too, id Software gave it a Retina Update recently and to me its nothing but gorgeous. The level design is clever, the Boss Fights are tough and the music is pure Retro Goodness. There are oh so many Levels for you to beat, id Software added all of them. Even the sequel "Spear Of Destiny" is included.

So, am I one of the very few ones still playing this on his iDevice? I think its a great package for the asking price.

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Love it to pieces, especially since you can download extra levels. :D

3. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #3 tblrsa, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
    Does this require a Jailbreak? :)

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
  5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Looks like the ability to "download custom made maps" is gone - as is the maps I downloaded! :mad:

Kinda sucks.

6. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    It's a great game. Too many people are obsessed with HD graphics and realism these days instead of good ol' fashioned gameplay.

7. cyborg5000

cyborg5000 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    anyone has the link to it? its not on appstore?

8. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
  9. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #9 tblrsa, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
    Its not available on all App Stores I´m afraid. The German App Store does not feature it for example, as the Swastikas and the "Horst Wessel Lied" (though not on Title Screen, but as a Level Music) are still included.

Damn. :( Still, the Retina Update does look very good.

Yep, did play Bastards lately, not a bad game. Would love to see a game based on the Wolfenstein Engine though, even if it´s limited.

Yes, some younger people might not even know those games anymore. It´s not only the blocky GFX, Wolfenstein introduced a very unique gameplay in my book. This was also the first game that made me "hate" Zombies. They are pretty nasty enemies to say the least. You better have a good gun to take em down. ;)

Considering it was the first FPS around, it did feature many stealthy elements. Wolfenstein 3D is by no means a dumb shooter. I always found it quite immersive to have enemies following you around the level, trying to hunt you down and outsmart you. Some of these levels are designed to have enemies coming at you from nearly all angles. And I still remember to be running from a Boss once, only to be expected by him, guns blazing, at the exit. Holy smokes, this FPS had such great gameplay in some of the stages. Doom did not produce a claustrophobic feeling on this level anymore, while still being a great shooter of course.

If you compare this gameplay to what id Soft does nowadays (Rage), it´s almost a shame. I would love to have them getting back to their roots and develop a Wolfenstein like Shooter with elements which have been left out of Wolf3D, such as hiding bodies, sneaking uniforms. Now this could be interesting.

10. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    DOOM plays really well on the ipad2. I love Wolf3D as well. I'm hoping they give Quake the same treatment soon...

11. WontonsiPodHelp

WontonsiPodHelp Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2010
    I love Wolfenstein RPG better than the 3D for some reason.

12. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #12 tblrsa, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
    Never enjoyed their RPG series all too much to be honest. But there seems to be a market, so there is no reason not to release them. To me, FPS is where id Software is really shining though. Glad to see they are still giving their old catalogue some love.

13. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Do you like HacX? A Doom clone that's free with multiplayer?

14. js1210

js1210 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    #14 js1210, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
    Its an awesome game, after the recent updates to DOOM and Wolfenstein, Wolf now controls signifigantly better than its successor on the ipod/iphone. I like to put on some hardcore metal or rock and then just explore the levels blasting away at Nazis :D

Being able to add new levels is AWESOME, but finding a place where i could actually get them was kindof a pain, heres a site for yall:

http://www.wolf3dmaps.com/index.jsp

Be sure not to download many more than two hundred or so, otherwise it could mess up your game!(Did for me, had to reinstall, lost all my progress :()

EDIT: I had not tried to play custom levels(been playing the official ones) since the recent update. Reading through this thread turns out they removed that feature in the update. How unneccesary, i will have to complain about this

Happy hunting!