Games with lots of upgradable stuff

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by angua2105, Jan 18, 2014.

1. angua2105

angua2105 Member

Nov 29, 2012
    I have been playing Bardbarian for the last few days and like it very much. One reason is the nice art style, the other that you can upgrade soooo much stuff. I realized that this is very motivating and keeps me going and going.

So. Are there any similar games out there? I'm open for everything although I don't like endless runners very much. In the past I enjoyed games like Battleheart, 10000000 and Kingdom Rush.

Greetings!
    Angua

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I think you'll like

Meltdown
    Minigore 2
    Zombieville USA 2
    Ridiculous Fishing
    Heroes & Castles
    Block Fortress
    Monster Adventures
    Strike Force Heroes: Extraction (this ones an endless runner FYI)

3. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Try anti squad or apocalypse max.

4. angua2105

angua2105 Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Thanks for the input so far!

Hm. Maybe I should have mentioned that I'm a girl and... I simply like fantasy stuff and comic graphics - and dislike 3d-games and/or too-real-looking war / ego shooter games. The above mentioned are not quite what I'm searching for.

Sorry if this reads a little bit weard, I'm not a native English speaker ;).

5. Jetpack joyride is a classic.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    As suggested above, Ridiculous Fishing is fantastic, and could be what you're looking for.

Might want to check out Infectonator as well.

Oh, and Scurvy Scallywags is afantastic take on match-3 RPG hybrids.

7. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Yeah then I think Ridiculous Fishing and Jetpack Joyride are 2 of the best. Also Slambots and Timesurfer

8. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Have you tried Solomon's Keep?

9. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Castle Doombad has lots of upgradable traps.

10. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #10 Bool Zero, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    No offense meant but being a girl is not a disqualifier for liking those listed games, as gender has no real bearing on whether or not you play or prefer those types of games... Let's not gender stereotype as it's counterproductive to general perception of women gamers.

You personally don't like those and that's fine, it's a matter of taste and preference for you after all! And there is nothing wrong with that! Let's just not throw your fellow sisterhood of gamers under the bus with that generalization. I hope that doesn't come off as rude, just that it doesn't help break down those stereotype walls on the internet. There's plenty of girl gamers that love nothing more to watch the gibs of their enemies fly (personally, I'm married to one and my social circle consist of many of them) just as there are as many guys who are more absorbed by dating sims, farming games and Candy Crush-alikes than any violent game...

As for games of that ilk:

Castle Bombad
    Punch Quest (I know you said you don't like endless runners, but this game is different enough that you may like it. Trust me, I hate them too but this endless runner/puncher is awesome)
    Knightmare Tower
    Burrito Bison
    Collosatron: Massive World Threat
    Battlehearts
    League of Heroes
    Mage Gauntlet
    Hero Seige
    Heroes of Loot
    Pocket RPG
    Nimble Quest
    The Lord of the Road
    Quest Rush
    Battleloot Adventures

If you are looking for more meatier games with lots of upgrading:
    Dungeon Defenders
    Bastion
    You may also want to try some of the KRPGs like Master of Dungeon (M.O.D.)and Stone of Life (S.O.L.)

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Good solid list... +1 on all of these, except Heroes of Loot, doesnt really have an upgrade system, but nonetheless a highly recommended arcadey dungeon crawler.

12. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, I was iffy about putting Heroes of Loot on there as well, but it does have that same sense of compulsive progression forward with power ups and little mini quest rewards... You are right though, it probably should leave the list...

13. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    *Castle Doombad

(Bombad was put)

14. angua2105

angua2105 Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Ok, ok, you're right ;). I should have simply stated that I don't like non-fantasy games etc all that much. I hope I haven't thrown back emancipation for years with that comment (just kidding).

I also don't have a problem with violence in games (including pc). It's more about art design and game style. For example I love Guild Wars 2 but I would rather not play Eve Online.

But back on topic: Thank you all for your input, I'll have plenty games to look at now! :)

15. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    Haha, I hope that didn't read to strongly with athe pro girl power vibe! Hopefully you got the idea!

I noticed your mention of art style preference, which is also why I listed those games... I think they may be to your art style preference (even Pocket RPG, Bastion and Dungeon Defenders which are 3D, but have a very animated style of art direction)! Please drop back in and let us know what you think of the picks!