Do promo codes expire when an update is released?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by GregH, Nov 17, 2009.

1. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Title says it all. I've given out a batch of promo codes but Apple is reviewing my update today. When the update comes out, will those codes still work?

thanks!

2. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Yes, the codes work up to 30 days after they are downloaded from Apple, regardless of update.

3. Just following-up, is this from past experience or did Apple document that somewhere (like the document you have to agree to when you request promo codes from Apple)? We're about to submit an update, and were worried that our codes out in people's hands would go *poof* and turn into pumpkins when the clock strikes midnight.

4. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I`m not a dev but can assure you codes will work for appx 28-30 days after they are generated regardless of new update ;)

5. jlanis86

jlanis86 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    I've had earlier codes work after an update was approved, so it shouldn't be a problem.

6. Dylan1696

Dylan1696 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Photographer/Graphic Designer/Electronics engineer
    Debbie did it here in '78
    (Call me crazy if I am off base) I was not even aware that promo codes expire. I have some promo codes of games for longer than 30 days + after downloaded, and they have not gone poof despite numerous updates.

7. Great, we just gave out a lot codes for reviews and were afraid to release an update during that time. Will they get the newest version automatically if they use and old code - or do they have to trigger the update manually?

8. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    You`ll get the latest version available in the AppStore when you redeem the code even if it was generated using last version. :)

9. stamasar

stamasar Well-Known Member

I have exactly the same problem.
    So what is the final answer to your question ?
    Do they still work or expire with the new version ?

Thanks
    Stamatis

10. To summarize:

• Promo codes issued to a developer by Apple expire after 30 days.

• Promo codes already issued by Apple are NOT affected by submitting an update. They are still valid.

• Promo codes that were NOT issued by the time your update is approved are lost (e.g., if Apple issued 30 out of 50 promo codes to you, then you submitted an update, then when the update is approved, the remaining 20 promo codes for that app are gone).

• Whenever an update is approved, the available promo code allotment of the app is reset to 50.

• When a user redeems a promo code, they receive the current version of the app on the App Store at the time they redeem it.

• Users are entitled to free updates of the same app in the future in the same way as if they had paid for the app.

• Apps received through promo codes do NOT affect the rank of your app in the charts (although they used to).

• On a side note, gifting of apps through gift codes does not affect ranking either.
    Hope that helps.