Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. I was never interested in the Wii, but it had some exclusives I was interested in. Little King's Story was one of them, and Muramasa was another. Can't wait for the Vita port.

2. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Grabbed Haunt the House: Terrortown and The Life of Pixel off of PSM today. They're both pretty good. Here are some impressions.

(This sounds dark, but it's fairly lighthearted) Haunt the House is a game where you play as a ghost, and must reunite your family, as well as empty the town of people using a variety of different methods.

To reunite your family, you have to kill each unique character (your living family members), which then unlocks them as playable characters accessable at your home- the bell tower.

To empty the town of people, there are a few different ways to approach things. You can simply scare them away, kill them, or make them commit suicide. Scaring is the easiest method, while killing and suicide are harder. You accomplish any one of the three by possessing the many different objects within each building, which all have different ways of providing scares/death. Most objects just scare people, while others can kill or drive them to commit suicide.

Upon emptying every building, and reuniting your family, the game is finished, and it tells you how good you did, as well as a few different stats, making it fairly replayable- though it unfortunately does not save scores from previous playthroughs.

Has great music (though it has sound issues when first loading) and visuals- very charming game. I enjoyed it, and can't really think of anything to complain about, other than issues I already mentioned, and the fact that the game made me want more. It's based upon a free flash game (which only has one building that is different from those in this game) which you can try here:
    http://armorgames.com/play/7195/haunt-the-house

Here's a trailer as well:

There isn't really as much to be said about The Life of Pixel, because it's a much simpler game (as far as I can tell so far). It is a platformer with a variety of worlds, each world themed after a specific retro console. You play as Pixel, a green pixel that decides to learn about his history, via these different worlds.

I haven't yet gotten past the first world, but the way it plays right now is there are spikes, enemies, and quicksand, which you may or may not encounter, and kill you upon contact, an exit which only unlocks when you have gathered every token in the level, and hidden gems.

It's pretty fun for a basic platformer, and is also really hard/annoying at parts. The only thing I don't really like about it, is how high you can jump. The jumping just seems like too much, but I dunno. Worth a look for $2.

3. Jinathin_x_X

Jinathin_x_X Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    There will be a announcement coming on around Feb 2013. So we will probably see demo of more soul sacrifice. And also killzone. And tbh about project shield, it's not for me at all. I thought it would be cool if that thing can play steam games. But nope. It's streaming steam games... Lol since I don't own good pc it's not for me.
    3DS on the other hand, got me really excited. I sold mine to get vita and never really thought it was wrong choice since none of their games were that interesting at all. But that exclusive Pokemon x and y changed my mind. I am looking around online to find cheap ones. Because 3ds too expensive.

4. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Oh man, I am in love with EDF2017! The game gets so crazy the further you get in! It's like playing through a 50's B movie only with large, destructive weaponry that can take out half the city.

5. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
  6. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

#4026 Der-Kleine, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    Somehow I'm kind of excited for that. Will have to see if that can replace my iPod as my alarm clock...

Now the only question is if sony will release it in europe the same week

7. Der-Kleine

#4027 Der-Kleine, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
    Two tweets from @PlaystationEU that might be interesting:

(https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/289726002412802048)
    Edit: Turns out to be Velocity Ultra, a new version of the PS Mini with new graphics and stuff: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/01/11/futurlab-reveals-velocity-ultra-for-ps-vita/

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/289728569863712769
    Edit: Turned out to be this: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/01/11/sumioni-demon-arts-paints-a-picture-on-ps-vita-next-week-2/ meh.

8. Der-Kleine

About how long is the game?

9. The original Velocity was the only Mini that I really liked. If the price is right (~$15), I'll buy the updated Vita version day one.

10. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    Finished it yesterday, loved it, would give it an 8-9 score.

Took me 15:39H to Platinum it according to last save (1 playthrough on Hard).

11. Jinathin_x_X

May 15, 2012
    So I bought 3DS and here is some downfall about it.
    - it can only be connected with wifi with WEP security... Which isn't the strongest one.
    - battery life is surprisingly short. Even when I am just playing ds games
    - 3DS itself attracts so much dust. It was impossible for me to (pro at applying screen protector) do it without getting dusts get stuck into it.
    - ds games have a black bar when you play the game. It's kinda annoying

Goods
    - joy stick is really nice
    - all ds games work on 3ds.
    - good sound quality.

So it's pretty nice device. Maybe I feel this way because I got it about $80 cheaper. Not sure if 3D actually hurts your eyes because I haven't bought any actual 3ds games yet. Biggest let down is that I can't connect to wi if, but other than that, it's pretty nice device. It's really small too.

12. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Wait, I haven't posted in this thread yet? D:

Okay, I love my PS Vita. When I bought it at launch, I picked up Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and I played that for a very long time. I forget what happened between that and the summer, but I eventually picked up Mortal Kombat Vita, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Played lots of Mortal Kombat, not too much UMvC3.

However the game I spent the most time playing, and I think it will maintain that position forever, was WipEout 2048. Seriously loved that game to death. Omg.

Then in the summer is when I hit my Vita stride. I downloaded Gravity Rush and Metal Gear Solid HD Collection from the PSN right when they went up for download (naturally it was one of those PSN updates that took forever and a year to actually update). Gravity Rush was so good. I love the main character, I loved the story, and the gameplay was very refreshing and different. Very cool game.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, I mostly played Metal Gear Solid 2. I played Metal Gear Solid 3 on my 360 version, but never touched the second game. I ended up beating it like three times over that summer, and it is an amazing game. From what I played of Snake Eater on the Vita, it is still just as awesome as ever, though I don't like the rear touch pad use.

So then I moved to an apartment in September, and I totally left my Vita, cold and alone, at my house. :( It wasn't until two days before Christmas that I finally retrieved it. I asked for only one Vita game for Christmas, and thought that it would be a good idea to retrieve the Vita again and get it all up-to-shape before I celebrated Christmas, just in case that one Vita game would materialize. I doubted it, but anything is possible.

Well the first night, after I updated the firmware, I checked the downloads on the PSN. SO many games came out! :eek: And also so many demos. I proceeded to download all these demos:

Silent Hill: Book of Memories
    Smart As...
    Ragnarok Odyssey
    Uncharted: Fight for Fortune
    Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz

Silent Hill: Book of Memories was actually a rather pleasant experience. I wasn't expecting anything even slightly competent, and it baffled me that I was actually enjoying it. The music adds a lot to the Silent Hill atmosphere, as well as the location and the enemies. Still not a true Silent Hill game, but definitely not half-bad.

Smart As..., another game I wasn't expecting much from, was really good. It's basically the Vita's version of Brain Age (DS), but the presentation is infinitely more phenomenal. The menu is very fluid, the presentation is minimalistic but sharp, and the actual challenges are pretty darn fun. Very fun game, but I doubt I would pay more than $10 for it.

Ragnarok Odyssey is based on Ragnarok Online, an MMO I've never heard of or played previously. It was fun, and reminded me so much of Phantasy Star Portable, but it seems like the missions will start to grate on the nerves, and respawning enemies in arena battles... no-go for me. Still a fun experience, though.

Uncharted: Fight for Fortune - a card game based on the Uncharted universe. I had no idea what the hell they were thinking when they came up with this as a game to follow-up on Golden Abyss, a more-than-competent portable translation of the Uncharted series, but yet again... pleasantly surprised. I don't know how to explain it, but from what I know of Magic: The Gathering, it seems a lot like that. Easy to learn, difficult to master.. one of those games. I ended up buying the full game, as it was only $5, and I have had some great fun with it. Unfortunately I have hit a stopping point where the game is just too damn hard, and I have no idea how to progress.

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz - Reviews I read were mediocre and middling. Again, wasn't expecting much, but when I started playing, I had an epiphany! This is exactly like Super Monkey Ball! I loved it so much. And it even has minigames! :D Not sure if I am still as hardcore of a Super Monkey Ball fan as I used to be, though, so I probably won't buy it any time soon. Was fun to have a blast from the past, though :)

So after all this gaming, we had Christmas. I opened up a package that was very very small. And.... THERE IT WAS! LittleBigPlanet for the Vita! :D :D :D :D

Long story short: LittleBigPlanet Vita is the most fun I've ever had with a LittleBigPlanet game: nary a frustrating section, nor a section that was so difficult that I couldn't progress further. Some might say it leans a little to the easy side, but the LittleBigPlanet games have never been about difficulty. Yet even then, I found the first game in the series to be immensely difficult near the end. Something about a rotating electrified wheel maze just... shivers me timbers. Thankfully, nothing like that in the Vita version.

In fact, I would go so far as to say, some of the levels in the Vita version outclass the PS3 ones as far as ingenuity and fun go!

So how is the Create mode? Given the fact that I'm not a very creative person, I don't usually get much from Create mode. But the fact that you can utilize the touch screen in this one, for some reason, makes the creating a lot more efficient and easy. There are still so many things to learn, and it gets quite complex, but I think I may finally be able to dedicate the time necessary to wrap my head around this level creator. I never could dedicate my time to the PS3 one, enough to create good levels. But it's a possibility with the Vita version... who knows? :)

As far as user-created levels go, the community is obviously not nearly as huge as LittleBigPlanet 2. You can't import levels from the first LBP or the second one, nor vice-versa. That's a shame. But the levels that are there, generally, can be pretty impressive. There were some in the "Editors Picks" section that blew my mind, seriously.

The arcade games in the single-player are very memorable, too. Very fun little games that reminds me a lot of iOS games in that sense.

Overall, LittleBigPlanet Vita is amazing. If you have a Vita, pick it up! :cool:

So in conclusion, I love my Vita. I believe it is a wonderful console, with immense and untapped power. The closest we can get to console gaming on the go at the moment, if Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, and Gravity Rush are anything to go by. It's a shame the Vita is selling well-below expectations, though... I hope it doesn't falter completely, like the N-Gage or the Zodiac. It seems the fate of the "most powerful console" still curses those who dare tempt it. The 3DS is not as powerful, yet it's selling incredibly well. The Vita is more powerful, and... nay... :( Same goes for the PSP vs the DS, GameCube and Xbox vs. PS2, GameGear vs. Game Boy Pocket (I think?), etc. etc.

If we've learned anything about gaming, it's that the power doesn't matter... the games and developer support is what matters. As long as we keep getting bombs like Black Ops: Declassified, Resistance: Burning Skies, Little Deviants, etc., developers will be more difficult to obtain support from. But I hope so much that the developers out there that are on the fence about supporting the Vita, realize that after sifting through the filth listed above, there are still shining gems and landmarks in portable gaming, and the potential with the Vita is beautiful. I hope developers don't give up on it just yet. It doesn't deserve to fail. At all.

Peace out. :cool:

13. Der-Kleine

I find it hard to believe that the 3ds wouldn't be able to connect to at least WPA (1, not 2). I can't remember seeing a lot of people complaining about that, so could you be missing something? (I don't own one, so I wouldn't know)

The funny thing is that Black Ops: Declassified actually sold really well from what I've heard. (and according to the european playstation blog it was the most downloaded game on the store in december.)

14. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Black Ops Declassified isn't all horrible if you are more into the multiplayer, although that reportedly has problems too. The campaign is total crap though.

And with regards to 3DS -- mine is connected to wifi via WPA2. If you lower the brightness to 2, the battery life is much improved.

15. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I'm pretty sure the 3DS does work on WPA, because I have connected it to WPA protected WiFi before.

Yeah, CoD is supposedly the best selling retail Vita game in the US, at around 300,000 units.

16. Jinathin_x_X

May 15, 2012
    How? Even manual says and official website says it won't connect to anything other than WEP...

17. Der-Kleine

From what I've seen in youtube videos the multiplayer map design in Black Ops Declassified isn't verry good though. I mean, it shouldn't be beaten by the map design in Modern Combat games...

18. zeonmx

zeonmx Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    #4038 zeonmx, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    Corpse Party Book of Shadow is coming out on Monday. Still have to finish the first one.

19. Ravenblack

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    #4039 Ravenblack, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    Let's see...

Go to System Settings, Internet Settings, Connection Settings, "New Connection" Manual Setup.. (You can choose to view tutorial at this point.)

You'll come to a screen that has a "Search for Access Point" button.. I just select Manual Setup option again. Next screen "SSID" and "Security" buttons. In Security, you can choose WEP or various WPA settings.

Add: I've checked the manual and I see where the confusion might be. There's a page that talks about Nintendo DS connection for Nintendo DS software. The previous Nintendo DS and its games can only use WEP to connect up to wifi. If you are playing DS games, you have set it to WEP, I guess.

20. Ravenblack

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    I agree. But Modern Combat isn't available on the Vita. I suppose gamers take what they can get.