Do iPhone games check for a license?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Luuthian, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Luuthian

Luuthian Active Member

Dec 10, 2011
    #1 Luuthian, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
    Hey guys, need some help!

So I have an Android phone and my sister has an iPhone. Virtually any game I play on an Android phone made by a big publisher requires a license check before I can play, which is maddening to say the least. I never see this prompt on my sister's iPhone however, so I'm wondering if iPhone games require a similar check?

I'm asking because we will be traveling soon and I won't have a cell connection. The last thing I need is to be on the plane or in my hotel room with nothing to play for two weeks.

PS: I'm planning to put games on my sister's phone if this is the case... Also! Debating if I should jump from a Nexus to an iPhone 5. Kind of off topic, but feel free to give input.

2. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    iOS games require no license check.

3. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    so wait, you need to do a license check every time you want to play the game?

4. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    The only games that do checks like that are freemium type games, which usually store data server side. The majority of apps on iOS do not have any such issues. :)

*there are a few exceptions for freemium, like Tiny Tower, but they are pretty rare.

5. Luuthian

Luuthian Active Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Well chock another point for iOS then. Thanks guys.

And yeah. Some Android games require a license check. Some of them require the check once and then work offline for good (Like Mass Effect Infiltrator or Rayman Jungle Run). Others require the check every single time you play the game ( Like Modern Combat 4. It's not always freemium games unfortuneately).

Well I'll consider some options soon then. I do a good amount of gaming on the go so Maybe it's time to revisit iOS. I actually come here all the time because I LOVE using my mom's iPad for games.

6. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Wait, what?

7. Luuthian

Luuthian Active Member

Dec 10, 2011
    I meant #3, sorry. The Modern Warfare clone by Gameloft. The game checks for a license every time you open it.

I'm assuming the reason they do this for Android devices is because it's far easier to pirate software. I don't mind the games that check one and leave you alone. It's the Gameloft style checks that are inconvenient.

8. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Unfortunately, some of the bigger Android games do require a license check. The worse is probably Gameloft - A7 required an active Internet connection to play the game everytime you loaded it!! This is a nightmare on WiFi only tablets. I'm not sure if they left out this feature in WIld Blood, their most recent Android release, but on A7 it was a nightmare personally. So much so, this pushed many legitimate customers to the dark side of the Internets in the search of a modded version which removed the check.

Other companies like EA and Ubisoft (and previous Gameloft games) employ a one time license check. Some smaller publishers who use Google's in-house verification check run the check every so often, so sometimes you may be out of luck if it decides to verify but you don't have an Internet connection.

PS: On a side note, some Android games also employ a 'root check' (jailbreak in iOS terms). The most recent is Chaos Rings by SE, which released last Thursday. Many Android users root not to pirate, but to have greater control over the system. They paid $13 for the game, and realized it doesn't run. A day later, SE issues a statement rooted devices wont run Chaos Rings, and have so far refused to provide a refund.

9. Luuthian

Luuthian Active Member

Dec 10, 2011
    I thought you were joking but wow... That is absolutely absurd. Thankfully SE is apparently patching the game to work on rooted devices but yeah... That is the worst decision I have seen made by SE in recent memory.