Room for another zombie/ninja game?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by g_sweat, Aug 17, 2011.

1. I was exploring ideas for a new project and noticed that there is an extraordinary number of zombie games in the app store. Is this a fad that is similar to the vampire trend in hollywood?

First off, no disrespect to any developer, i mention this all in fun, but why are gamers so fascinated with zombie & ninja games? Maybe its developer like myself that look at the success of zombie games and say, lets jump on the bandwagon...

I joke, but I wonder if certain themes carry a perceived level of fun or acceptance, drawing more attention to themselves? Just thinking out loud...

Anyway, has a zombie ninja game been done yet? I think that's gonna be my next project...:)

2. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    well, people got tired of LOTR and scifi and horror was the next thing in line. Zombies became the new cool thing a few years ago and it's just winding down a bit now.. but I believe there's gotta be about 50 or 60 zombie ninja games out there, at least..

it's all pretty tired by now but i think we've not seen an end to such things for a long time yet, and people will still tend to gravitate more toward that then some of the other topics I mentioned above..

3. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    zombies are lovely and ninjas are cool.. hobbits are neither.. so go for it :D

4. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Zombies and Ninjas are still pretty popular, IF (and what a big IF it is) you have something new to bring to the table. Otherwise, pick birds. They're the in thing right now.

Or cats.

5. Haha, I gotta agree that birds are growing more popular ;)

I personally think zombies/vampires are overused, and a lot of opinions I keep reading on gaming websites suggest the same. Might be time to move on and find a new obsession. May I suggest turtles? They never get enough love.

6. Vetasoft

Vetasoft Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    These are themes, and it makes it easier in some ways to design a game with a strong theme. Zombie, Ninja, Vampire are big themes. This is not surprising to see them often. They are there for a long time in the video game industry. The only difference is that before there were not many games. ex: Resident Evil (Zombie) CastleVania (Vampire) Metal Gear Solid (Ninja) Other are of course, Aliens, Cowboys, Pirates... It's just a case if you found Ninjas and Zombies on the top, you could find Aliens or Cowboys instead.

If you want to make a game with Ninjas and Zombies, go for it.

7. ImStrapped

ImStrapped Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Birds, pigs, ninjas and zoombies, yes they're all over used! Here's my take on it.

From a marketing perspective, you gotta think about what'll go on your App Store icon as that will be your only source of marketing to most users. You have 2 seconds to grab their attention with whatever is on that icon and 1 second to convince 'em to click on it. When it's hot, it doesn't necessarily mean its a good thing. With "hot" you're also running the risk of "ahh just another zombie game.... skipppp!" Are you willing to take that risk?

I'm not saying that it won't succeed in anyway, just saying, plz consider these points of view.

Like previously mentioned, if you're going to introduce overused characters, might want to introduce an underused gameplay lol. And that could be harder than it sounds.

8. Vetasoft

Jul 27, 2010
    Icon doesn't really have a major part to catch the attention of the customers.

9. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Au Contraire

I for one scroll fast through the app store top 50. If an icon catches my eye I click. If it doesn't it's quickly forgotten.

The icon is like a banner ad IN iTunes.

10. Vetasoft

Jul 27, 2010
    there are better icons in the top 200

It's just about exposition. (and quality of course)

11. ImStrapped

Mar 1, 2011
    I strongly disagree!

12. A mutant ninja turtle zombie game where the player fights birds and pigs! ...with a hot girl icon. Brilliant! We have take off!

13. SosemoPower

SosemoPower Member

May 17, 2011
    I'm getting tired of zombie and ninja games, they usually have the same gameplay (hack and slash) (endless gameplay) (dual stick shooters), it becomes boring you know. I wonder if devs are still making some money, if there are so many games of the same type. I would try to come with something new or refreshing (Plants vs Zombies, in my opinion the only zombie game which is original, seriously plants and zombies...).

14. Vetasoft

Jul 27, 2010
    #14 Vetasoft, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
    you should try or game 8-bit vs 16-bit if you want originality. we should call it 8-bit ninja vs 16-bit zombie... damn to late...

icon have is part but it's not All. they are good game with crap icon in the top 10 and it's work. Exposure is the only key! I will be more intrigate by a crap icon in the top 10 then a good polished one.

15. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    no one said its all.. but its the first thing the majority of customer will see.. and either the icon attracts or not.. so next to the screenshots the icons is the most important marketing space you have on the appstore

16. AOR

AOR Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Independent game developer
    San Francisco
    I really think that zombies and ninjas have overstayed their welcome. I'd rather see a zombie or ninja game than another Angry Birds clone on iOS, though.

There are so many other historical figures or creatures or anything of the sort out there for us to use! Look at Swords and Soldiers, that game hit the mark on using relatively standard character archetypes such as vikings and tribesmen etc and it definitely worked.

17. ImStrapped

Mar 1, 2011
    It's like you read my mind and said it for me!