Rogue-likes?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by pluto6, Dec 19, 2015.

1. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Actually looking for some excellent rogue-likes that are likely hidden gems?

Have too many to list - but the usual - wayward souls, sproggiwood, goblin sword, etc. - I will likely have. So if there are roguelike fans that have some games that no-one seems to know about, but are excellent, or a least good, i would love to hear about them.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Um... Goblin Sword is so not rl. ;)

Absolute best one for me is Sproggiwood.

Wayward souls is more action adventure with some rl elements, but yeah, it's one of the appstore's absolute best.

3. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Not sure about hidden but off the top of my head, such games that are assimilated with the term roguelike:

FTL
    Out there
    Don't starve
    This war of mine
    Inethack
    Cataclysm dark days ahead
    Cardinal quest
    Powder
    Dungeonism
    Wazhack
    Downwell
    Crowntakers
    Desktop dungeons
    Tallowmere
    Card dungeon
    Dungeon of the Endless

There you go, knock yourself out. And remember: would you like your possessions identified?

4. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Anywhere to get info on how to play Cataclysm? Looks like it could be great, but instructions are cryptic and difficult.

Thanks for the list. I will go through them.

5. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I'm sort of light on the cataclysm knowledge. There is a TA game thread for that, and someone did mention some good getting started pointers. So have a trawl through that. Then, I'm pretty sure there's a wiki, use that as your "how to" Google question source.
    If you haven't played an ASCII roguelike in the past, you may be in for a system shock. Like have you played nethack? Or rogue or something like that? They use text keyboard letter commands to do stuff. Just know what to press or what can be input is a huge learning curve in itself, so be warned.
    Theoretically cataclysm or nethack or any of those rogues have huge playable potential. Like cataclysm is almost an open apocolyptic suburbia city / do what you want. The only hindrance is....you gotta do all commands by text letter. There's no gta joystick control here. It's a doozy I'm tellin' ya. And whether or not cataclysm is appropriate on a phone or even tablet interface is debatable. Nonetheless, any platform, text command entries are awkward. So there's just a quick warning if your not familiar, really only to give you a heads up, that if you're struggling at first (and I mean like first 8 hours), then that's totally normal.

6. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Cardinal Quest 2
    Pixel Dungeon
    100 Rogues

CQ 2 has gotten more play time than any other App Store game.