W.E.L.D.E.R. vs PuzzleJuice

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jdragoon19, Jan 22, 2012.

?

If you've played both, which do you prefer?

1. I prefer W.E.L.D.E.R

37.0%
  2. I prefer PuzzleJuice

48.1%
  3. I like them both

14.8%
  4. I don't like either (but like word games)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I dont like either (don't like word games)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    I have both games, W.E.L.D.E.R. and PuzzleJuice and I have been reading the PuzzleJuice thread recently. I noticed people love PuzzleJuice and they love it more than W.E.L.D.E.R. I, on the other hand, like W.E.L.D.E.R. more. I think it's because I'm not much of a Tetris fan and also, I'm not the best at word games.

I think that W.E.L.D.E.R. is more for people who like slower word games where they get to plan out their strategy, whereas PuzzleJuice is an intense, fast-paced word game. I'm not saying that PuzzleJuice is bad. I just like W.E.L.D.E.R. more than PuzzleJuice.

So, my question is which game do you guys like better: W.E.L.D.E.R. or PuzzleJuice? And why?

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Hard to put my hands on it, but for some reason I just find Puzzlejuice more fun. W.E.L.D.E.R. is definately more polished and if you don't like puzzle games like Tetris, it's the obvious choice for word fans.

BUT for some reason, I'm not a huge Tetris fan and I'm not usually great by any means at word games, but still like Puzzlejuice better. Think it's just the faster pace.

W.E.L.D.E.R. games can take a lot longer and the more pick-up-and-play nature of Puzzlejuice makes it fun.

It's also not quite as hard as Tetris since it shows you where the pieces are going to go. The match-three elements to gain letters also adds to it.

Just think it all came together and added up to be more addictive to me. Not that WELDER is a bad game by any means.

3. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Would it be relevant to include Spelltower in the discussion?

4. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    i like puzzlejuice more

5. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Hmmm.. Is it a good game? I heard it was but, I don't wanna waste money on just pure speculation! :p

6. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Btw, I do like PuzzleJuice. It is a great, fun, creative game but I just seem to have more excitement with W.E.L.D.E.R.!

7. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Personally, I'm not a big fan of Spelltower, but I love both W.E.L.D.E.R and PuzzleJuice.

W.E.L.D.E.R would probably keep my attention in the long term, because it's easier to pickup and play for a short period and then come back to later. But PuzzleJuice is a fun new twist on word games.

If I'm forced to rank them:
    1st. W.E.L.D.E.R
    2nd. PuzzleJuice
    3rd. Spelltower

8. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Oh, thx to the mod who put the poll up btw! :D

EDIT: Red1's vote counts for 10 votes. Haha, jk.

9. GSnyder

GSnyder Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    These are both good games, but it's been interesting to watch Puzzlejuice's absolutely meteoric rise into the top tier. It literally hadn't been released for 24 hours before garnering 50+ 5-star reviews and many enthusiastic endorsements.

W.E.L.D.E.R., by contrast, had a more human-scale introduction. It gradually gathered steam as people tried it and enjoyed it. In the end it reached approximately the same level of popularity and mind-share, but at least the debut followed a comprehensible trajectory.

I would love to know more about what was behind Puzzlejuice's jet-propelled success. I am not in any way suggesting that anything nefarious occurred. To the contrary, there's an art to seeding and introducing a game, just as there is to writing one. Whatever the devs did to support the launch, it worked well to gain visibility during the crucial launch window.

Colaboratory, the developer of Puzzlejuice, has had only one prior release, Semi-Automatic. It's been out for 8 months or so with only 15 reviews, albeit all 5-star. Quite a difference.

(Or are people just so Tetris-crazy that they'll snap up anything with a Tetris element?)

10. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I haven't tried W.E.L.D.E.R. yet, but I have both Spelltower and Puzzlejuice. Spelltower I picked up because it got such glowing reviews from most websites. I was actually a bit disappointed by it... for some reason I didn't find it as fun as I hoped.

Puzzlejuice, on the other hand, I picked up based on the interesting art style, unique gameplay (the whole of its parts, anyway), and glowing reviews in the forums. It's probably the best 99 cents I ever spent, as it's my favorite puzzle game now. And I usually hate Tetris clones and Match 3 games, which is weird. Anyway, please get this game.

11. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Never played Welder so my vote goes to Puzzlejuice which I suck at currently :p

12. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I've never played welder either..the first post should have the inbedded details for of both so we can make a valid choice ;)

I've only played puzzle juice once, wasn't going to buy it til I saw it was 99c on sale and thought I'd give it a go..it's a bit too fast paced for me though, I like spelling out big words so I feel semi clever but with all the blocks falling down I just choose any word I can willy nilly

13. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Best of word games

Both games are absolutely in the top tier of IOS word games. I prefer WELDER somewhat because I find the measured pace to be more thoughtful. It also a more mature app and has quite a few excellent game modes. When I want a frantic word game, I can't imagine anything but PuzzleJuice. I love them both.

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I haven't bought either yet, so I won't vote and feel free to ignore me, but Puzzlejuice really doesn't come across as anything special to me. Sure, it blends two types of gameplay and does it pretty well, but they're two types of gameplay I'm kinda sick of. WELDER seems far more interesting.

15. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    WELDER definitely is more interesting IMO. It has different features Shen playing the game. So, you're not just finding the word, you can also scramble, reverse or swap letters to make words as well!

16. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    For some reason the pics for WELDER just didn't look appealing to me, way to complicated.

Puzzlejuice looked simple and sleek.

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I've played both now, and as predicted... I got bored of PuzzleJuice pretty quickly. WELDER seems kinda timeless though, I could pick it up five years from now and get enjoyment out of it. Needless to say I vote for WELDER.

18. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    You can't judge a book by its cover.

Dude, haven't you played a game that looks bad but its actually very good?IE: Mission Europa. If you haven't, you definitely haven't played that many iOS games.

19. airdan

airdan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Belize
    I like it hard and fast, i.e. PJ.