Rougelike on iphone/ipad?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Bantocks, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Bantocks

Bantocks Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2013
    #1 Bantocks, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    Anyone recommend one.

I loved FTL on the PC but it doesn't look like this is coming to the app store any time soon.

2. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I'm just going off of games I enjoyed a lot.

Wazhack: Awesome free(for the first 200 feet of dungeon, which is more then it sounds like because you can replay that with a number of different characters, then you can buy a character pack for 99c and go down infinitely with that set) RL that has quickly become one of my all time favs. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wazhack/id578208562?mt=8

Dungeon plunder: Great game with a very active dev and lots of updates. There are character skins you can buy, as well as two classes, but they are completely optional and if you do buy some, you are supporting an awesome dev.

Dungeon plunder (freemuim) https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dungeon-plunder-rpg/id639964395?mt=8

Dungeon plunder (paid) https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dungeon-plunder/id588551503?mt=8

The other one (off the top of my head) is Slayin'. Very simple game where you control the direction of the character and slay enemies to collect coins to buy upgrades.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/slayin/id548580856?mt=8

3. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    i like roguelikes.

the dungeon
    pitman
    cavern
    forget me not
    endless depths
    gem goblin
    legend of yore
    100 rogues
    8 bit treasures
    zaga33
    Dungelot
    wazhack
    cardinal quest
    roguetouch
    sword of fargoal

search the titles in the appstore. i like them all, but you may like a few of them.

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There aren't many games similar to FTL on App Store. FTL seems very space sim heavy but with a roguelike emphasis on randomized uncertaintly and exploration. There are rumors FTL might eventually come to iOS.
    This guy knows what he's talking about, those are some great roguelikes. Also +1 to Dungeon Plunder.

5. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Add to the list: Brogue for the ipad.

6. Sciuridae

Sciuridae Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Mysterious Castle is a party-based Roguelike with a Darklands meets Dwarf Fortress vibe. After a huge update and forum activity, the dev went oddly silent, but definitely worth a look.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #7 Exact-Psience, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
    Sad nobody mentioned Dungelot. There's a sequel coming too.

For a squad based dungeon romp, Warhammer Quest.

8. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Dungeonism is also good.

9. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    #9 mekanikal fiend, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
    I was coming back to post about mysterious castle, which I love, but, was beaten to the punch.

So I'll add rogue ninja to the mix instead.

I said dungelot...

10. Denzalo

Denzalo Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Bit Dungeon is another good one. Not sure if it's completely roguelike, but it's decently close.

11. Shyft

Shyft Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Wazhack for sure. That game is evil as hell, as rogue likes should be. It is also the only game out of hundreds that has stayed on my iPad for months.

12. Bantocks

Bantocks Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Normally there's a clear winner in each genre but there seems to be a big mix of titles in the rouguelike category.

13. Scorpion008

Scorpion008 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Try Ending by Aaron Steed if you like chess-like roguelikes, simple but deviously challenging. It includes a puzzle mode to get to know the mechanics without text boxes, a level editor, and the real meat, the roguelike mode.

14. ObsidianBlood

ObsidianBlood Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2013
    #14 ObsidianBlood, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
    Anything out there like Dungeon Plunder or Dungelot?
    I played the crap out of both those games and really liked them, I still play dungeon plunder. I played a couple of regular rogue likes and while I did enjoy them I didn't play them as long.

I'm kind of looking for something that isn't a traditional rogue like and also let's you carry over something from character to character.

Any ideas?

15. Sciuridae

Sciuridae Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    For a rougelike, Covet is an excellent free fashion game that my spouse and I are both hooked on.

(Sorry, couldn't resist poking fun at the typo in the thread title. Covet really is surprisingly fun, but I don't think it has permadeath.)

16. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    If you're into relatively short campaigns, Quadropus Rampage is an awesome "roguelike brawler."

There's just one character and he starts over at level 1 each time, but his stats and bonus attributes, which you get two options for with each achievement and can toggle later as desired, stay with you.

17. ObsidianBlood

ObsidianBlood Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Hmm interesting, ill check it out. Thanks!
    Anymore suggestions are welcome.

I'm playing Wazhack at the moment and liking it quite a bit. Still checking out each class and deciding which one i want to play as/buy.