Considering Colours

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MadeOfDinosaurs, Jan 12, 2017.

1. MadeOfDinosaurs

MadeOfDinosaurs Active Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Videogame Developer
    UK
    Hi.

Something interesting (or at least I think so) to consider.

A tester on my game sent some feedback saying the game was unplayable, not due to my wonderful(!) control scheme, but because the combination of my chosen palette and his colourblindness rendered large chunks of the game practically invisible.

I've spent a chunk of this evening reading around on the various types of colourblindness, and the effects they can have - there are a few cool sites out there that will let you upload a screenshot and process it to see what other people may see.

I've modified the game tonight to use white/grey in place of many of the colours (I may make this a toggle, I still like red) and to add white highlights to some blue/purple pickups (they're horribly unclear at the moment, work needed!),

For example. Attached are 4x (low red) images of my game.
    1) The original game with original colour scheme
    2) The same screenshot through a protanomaly simulation.
    3) The new modified colour scheme (I may well change back to colours, but from a more considered palette - although the white is growing on me...)
    4) The new colour scheme through the same protanomaly simulation - you can see that although a few icons are still faded, the overall image is much clearer.

I thought it worth sharing this as it may encourage other Devs to think about this in their own games. Thanks for reading!

Attached Files:

2. alex_p

alex_p Well-Known Member

I think the 2nd one looks the best - that mix of yellow/blue looks cool and maybe even a touch Star Warsy :)

3. MadeOfDinosaurs

MadeOfDinosaurs Active Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Videogame Developer
    UK
    Yup, I quite like those too- still need the walls to be visible, but that's solvable now I know it's an issue.