A facelift for our website: thoughts please.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Jeremy1026, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Jeremy1026

Jeremy1026 Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    We at 1026 Development have recently updated our website. We gave it a total redesign and want to get some feedback on our new design. We have made it even easier to contact us, including opening up new outlets such as a facebook fan page. We enhanced our application pages to provide information about our apps much more conveniently, and we changed how our screenshots are displayed. Anyway, please take a look around and let us know what you think as we are striving to give the best user experience possible.

Jeremy Curcio
    1026 Development
    Lead Developer
    www.1026development.com

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Use a transparent .png for that monkey up top to get some antialiasing going. If you at all care about IE6 compatibility with your site using a transparent png in the header you can use this- http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/

3. sureshvs

sureshvs Well-Known Member

I think there are a few things that can be done to enhance your new design

1. The first question your home page needs to answer is: What is this website about? Unfortunately, I don't think the current home page answers this. Right now, a visitor has no way of knowing that you guys specialize in "iPhone apps and games". In fact, there's no mention of "iPhone" anywhere there. Sure, there's 'app' and there's 'iTunes', but having iPhone in there will drive home the point far quicker. It's the thought process - "oh, it's iPhone", vs. "Hmm... I wonder what this website is. Well, it says 'app'.. could it be for my android? Oh wait, it says iTunes" - and that's assuming a user has that technical knowledge

2. I would highly recommend you use a prominent image between your nav bar and the "we're on fb" text to show some screenshots. For e.g., look at these sites. A visitor would have absolutely NO doubt about what the site has to offer
    a. http://tapulous.com/
    b. http://tapbots.com/

Browse through www.smashingmagazine.com for some inspiration

3. A Blurb
    Have a blurb in there that highlights what you do or what your app does. Like, in tapbots, you'll see it right next to their logo. "Robots for your iPhone and iPod Touch".

4. Page titles. Try adding something there too like "1026 Development - iPhone Apps and Games"

5. You *could* try splitting apps and games into separate sections. It will help you word the sections better to suit the app or game in there

IMO, these would be the top things for you to look at in your design.

4. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Be honest - did you use a template for that site? I'm 95% certain I've seen that exact same style and layout on a couple of other app developers' sites.

5. Well it's not exactly a unique layout concept. No doubt you've seen dozens of other sites with a similar layout.

Header on top, then a navigation bar and a two-column content area below.

6. mrcc

mrcc Well-Known Member

ill be honest. ur design is a basic design. i see that same design in alot of websites all over the internet. Ur coding is basic CSS. Nothing fancy about the coding and the design. Ur logo is very basic. PM Me if u need help or need help with any ideas. also u need a small support forum. theres other ideas too. u can do.

7. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

It's simple and to the point if that's what you're going for, can't argue with that.

8. fallenashes

fallenashes Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    yes
    Here's a simple one.
    Change your font, its very basic. But don't go overboard, just a more unique one that's still easy to read.

A more complex and abstract one.
    Give it more attitude. Good imaginations overcome technical (aka simple CSS) difficulty.

9. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

#9 NickFalk, Apr 27, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
    I think it's ok if a little bland. How about some screenshots/artwork on you front-page?

Oh, and I don't like the fact that the whole site is anchored to the left-side of my web-browser. Makes it look a lot worse when displayed in a wide browser-window.

Edit: I thought of something else I think is a real weakness (sorry): The site has a layout that doesn't really emphasize anything. There's a column called "app of the month", another column mentioning facebook and a third mentioning your game "power pegs". A suggestion would be to put the "app of the month" front and center, making it the dominant element of your front-page.

Take a look at the sites of companies like Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Apple and notice how the layout leads the eye to the different elements...

10. mrcc

mrcc Well-Known Member

also ur website isnt cross browser friendly. Meaning. It looks ok in ie. but it looks horrible on firefox. u should have all browsers installed on ur system. testing ur website in all browsers. chrome, safari, firefox, ie ect.

11. smiffsoft

smiffsoft Member

Jan 5, 2009
    code monkey
    uk
  12. sureshvs

sureshvs Well-Known Member

13. blue ox

blue ox Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Hi Jeremy,

I agree with what a few of the others have said about the cosmetics of the site needing a little brush up. However, I think that investing significant development time in your site is probably not going to be worth it.

The first question you must answer is: What is the purpose of this website?

If the answer is "to sell more apps," then I think this is the wrong approach. A full website is not a good medium to sell apps because you are not reaching people where they need to be reached to make a purchase, that is, on their device.

We get more than 10x the traffic on our mobile formatted website than on our full website. It is much easier to drive traffic to a mobile website by sending people there directly from your app.

That said, I do have a couple of regular websites, but I have a bigger reason for their existence:

http://www.BlueOxTech.com is my site to attract clients needing a contractor to develop iPhone software. These people will be browsing on a desktop computer most likely.

http://www.MoxieWordGame.com is the site to support my most popular game, but the desktop browse-able version exists because I have cross-platform aspirations that include the desktop eventually.

http://m.blueoxtech.com is our current mobile website, but it is in need of serious updating, as I have been so tied up in getting new apps out the door.

Just my 2¢.

Share and enjoy,

14. rhansson

rhansson Well-Known Member

Good site but you can do much better with little effort!

App of the month. Well it sounded like your reviewing an app that is not yours. I think it's your creation, right? Also, move it to the right column. It's on every page but not promoting it properly.

Use the top section where the logo is, or move the main navigation to the same level as the logo. There is a lot of vertical space lost.

Your apps, that's what's important! This is not the AppStore :) Present your titles on the front page, not with the icon, but fun ads / posters, large screen shots, video (if possible) and compelling copy.

PS. What's 1026 standing for?

Cheers and congrats on all the apps!

15. mrcc

mrcc Well-Known Member

i would start with the logo. It needs a new design. ur logo is plain and basic looking. then start with a whole new design on ur website.