DropZap has high rating but not popular. How should I market it?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by amichail, Nov 20, 2009.

1. amichail

amichail Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
  2. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Idk how you could market it :/ Least inexpensive way would be word of mouth, as I've heard that many devs who invested in ads didn't really profit much in the long-run. I have DropZap, at first I didn't like it much, but once I got into it I actually started to like it a lot more. Maybe you should consider implementing OpenFeint + achievements? Also maybe some graphics polish wouldn't hurt.

3. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    I love the game. I think that your biggest enemy are the screenshots, the game doesn't look that good. It's better once you see it in movement because the squares move smoothly and there's the zapping effect, but you don't have the chance to understand that from the stills. I agree with derek that graphic polish and maybe openfeint could help you. Substitute the text menus with some images, or at least use a better looking font. Add some cool looking background.
    I wish you good luck.

4. amichail

amichail Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    #4 amichail, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
    I will use screenshots with lasers in them.

As for graphics polish, don't players care mostly about the graphics polish in the gameplay itself (as opposed to the main menu)?

It's not obvious to me how the graphics could be improved in the gameplay. Any suggestions?

BTW, I've submitted DropZap 1.1 and DropZap Lite 1.1 to Apple for review.

Two of the most noticeable changes:

* faster animation so you don't need to wait so long for chain reactions to complete

* more pleasant sound

5. Plast2

Plast2 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    No, well we do, but it has to be a complete package. You can't concentrate on some parts of your game, and neglect others in the hopes the buyer doesn't care. - We do ;)

Good! I mean, I love the game, but once you've played it for a while, that's a small gripe that pops up...

6. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Well personally, I look at all the elements in an app. How the menu looks is a big part to me because I see it everytime I open the app :p But just mess around with the layout, re-design a bit.

7. hippiefahrzeug

hippiefahrzeug Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    > How should I market DropZap?

Well, for one thing: make it available in all countries. I already asked you about this in another thread but never got a reply.

8. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    After looking at your itunes description, i think you should not fully quote the reviews... "uninspiring appearance" and "not the best looking game" are two things that would turn me off as a potential buyer. I would read those in the beginning of the reviews quoted and stop reading the rest since the review already sounds negative.

Are there global leaderboards? The app description doesn't mention it if there are.

In the game screens, I don't understand what the % of PB is trying to tell you. If its the % of that level completed maybe have a graphical bar that fills up or just have it say % complete.

Your gameplay does look like it will be interesting and fun, but I have to agree with others, the graphics aren't doing it justice...what if you made everything brighter/neon?

9. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    +1 on everything that has been said.

BUT . . . I dont know it will be a hit if you spruce up the graphics.

Take a look at the sales rank history of Alchemize and Cash Machine, which seem like maybe the reverse of your concept, and might give you an idea of what is realistic to hope for in terms of sales.

10. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    It's the distance from your personal best, in terms of score. For example if you are 98% PB, you are about to reach your highest score. If you go over 100% that's your best score ever. I actually thought it was a good idea.