I want to enroll in the program as a company but...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by wastedyuthe, Mar 12, 2009.

1. ... I came across this bit (see the attached picture). So I will need legal documents and business license etc just to use a name other than my actual name? I didn't really want to use my actual name as an "Individual" developer as I thought of using my own nickname instead. But with all this legal stuff they need, it looks like I don't have a lot of choice, right?

Attached Files:

2. Schenk Studios

Schenk Studios Well-Known Member

Hi Barry,

I went the individual route, and this is the result in iTunes

You'll see that the "company" name is much larger and more obvious than the seller name. If you still don't want to have your name listed at all, then you'll have to go the Business/Company route.

ps. I'l work on that tutorial request.

Attached Files:

3. #3 wastedyuthe, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
    Hi Andrew.
    Now I'm confused! They gave an example of an Individual developer with the larger title AS the developers own name (see attached).

So you can still have your name listed as the seller AND have a company name such as Schenk Studios or what ever in big letters at the top as an 'individual' seller?

Just to be clear, all I want is my nickname in big letters at the top (where you have Schenk Studios)- I don't care that my real name is listed as the seller in small letters underneath.

Attached Files:

4. Schenk Studios

Schenk Studios Well-Known Member

I believe that Apple gives you the option to replace the larger text with a "company" name. It's been a few months so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but I know that I didn't supply them with any "legal business documents" to get Schenk Studios put up there. I also believe that if you leave that text field blank, then it defaults to seller name, hence your example.

5. Ahh. Thanks. Guess I'll have to find that option when I join. I'll choose the 'individual' option then.

6. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Same here, thanks Andrew!!

7. Could this be confirmed by anyone as to where this option is exactly? Does the option to put a company name in the larger text appear every time you submit an app, or is there a setting somewhere in iTunes Connect? I've looked and can't find one, so I am assuming the option is there when you submit an app, right?

8. InsertWittyName

InsertWittyName Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    It's there when you submit your first app via iTunes Connect.

9. Thanks for the confirmation.

10. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Good to know. I thought I needed to sign up as a company to put a name other than my name as the "big title". Thanks for clarifying! :)

11. InsertWittyName

Nov 26, 2008
    I enrolled as an individual and this is what my app looks like in the App Store.

[​IMG]

12. Erik32

Erik32 Member

Feb 9, 2009
    #12 Erik32, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
    This is helpful. I'm also keen to get my toes wet, and if I like that feeling, set up a company to cover any work done. Since the filing fee for an LLC in my state is $500 - I'm leaning towards a test drive as an individual.

The follow on questions I have to the orriginal post are:
    1) has anyone here converted their license from individual to corporation? Apple says to contact them to do this, but doesn't indicate whether they will generally support this, and whether it's roughly equivalent to setting up a new corporate account, or a lot worse.
    2) can you participate in both? Other than paying the $99 twice, is there any indication that they will prevent you from participating with multiple entities?

13. InsertWittyName

Nov 26, 2008
    You can upgrade from individual to corporate. It takes a few weeks but it's about the same as filing as corporate to start with, from the people who I've spoken to that have done this.

You can participate in multiple entities.

14. travistrue08

travistrue08 Active Member

Mar 23, 2009
    President, Founder, Programmer, Game Designer, Par
    Vegas, Baby!
    I talked to an Apple representative on the phone, and asked why my company name is not showing up in iTunes Connect correctly. He said that I needed to submit an application, and upgrade up to the Enterprise Program, which is $300 (possibly $200 if you are already an individual developer, but I'm only guessing). Does anyone know what to do there?