Reply Notification?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by undeadcow, May 28, 2014.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It would be awesome if Touch Arcade allowed an option to notify me when someone responds to one of my posts. Sometimes I follow threads other times I drop by to troll around and unless I regularly haunt a particular thread I might miss someone's communication in the thread. There is an option for a pop-up notification with private messages, maybe something similar would work when someone quotes your post.

Alternative, it might be interesting if Touch Arcade had a feature to display recent threads I have commented in "stickied" somewhere. Sort of a "topics I've participated in" overview for when some threads sink to the bottom on release dates, etc, but I want to follow better.

Not sure if forum software limitations prohibit this sort of courtesy but I'd appreciate any consideration and think these adjustments could help compel more coherent discussion.

:cool:

2. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
  3. Me too, that would be great, then I could see who the "Connector Haterz" are. :p

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    For your alternative:

Sooooo... kinda like your subscribed threads? But automatic?

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #5 undeadcow, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
    Maybe I don't understand how subscribed threads work, but that could be a possibility - thread subscription would set aside selected threads. Although primarily it would be nice to see an automated way to get notification of any replies to posts. Sort of like how Twitter or Facebook e-mails you when someone responds just to your account (although a TA site notification would be preferable to e-mail). I'm not sure if that's reasonable given the software but thought I'd bring it up.

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    More recent versions of vbulletin have this feature.

7. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    I also like the idea.

So at least we can response to those who quoted our post or reply in a thread we had a discussion.

8. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    A forum I used called ravelry has this feature, the last time I was there there was like an extra category for threads with replies to your posts for when you logged in. I like to reply to people who reply to my comments etc so would love a similar feature. They also have little buttons under each post with agree, disagree which is pretty cool but sometimes can cause more drama than it's worth if someone sees a few disagrees lol.

9. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    It's not really what you want, but it might help anyway. Go to your User CP (in the black banner to the left) and choose "edit options", or just click this link. There is an option called "Default Thread Subscription Mode" which you can set to Instant Email Notification. That sends you an email every time someones replies to a thread you posted it. That can get a bit much, so there's also a "Daily Email Notification" option which should send you an email once a day.

10. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I often don't want to know if anyone has responded to any of my comments as the later in the evening I send then the less sense they make when reread. Sometimes if I've had a glass of tizer before going to bed I'll post quite possibly the funniest comment I have ever come up with only to wake up in the morning and see that not only is it not funny but it could be construed as borderline offensive. I have a feeling in a kind of meta sense that this may be one of them. Night night all.

11. Moral of the story.

Don't drink Tizer. :p

12. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    #12 slamraman, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    Very, very true.

Just saw Mene's post about his ban and actually feel it's a bit harsh too. Always reminds me of Evelyn Beatrice Hall's quote with bans and cemsorship.

'I may disapprove of what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.'

13. Sometimes when you get sleepy or drunk, you will have your messages misread. It happened to Madfinger in the famous Dead Trigger thread long ago here.