Wouldn't it be cool if apps had their own ads?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Slapshot, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Wouldn't it be cool if apps had their own ads? Like say your watching the news or ESPN and say an ad for Hero of Sparta comes up! Wouldn't that be awesome? I've already seen and ad for the Sims 3 for iPod Touch and iPhone on the TV. I think that would be great and developers would rake in alot more money. Devs what do you think if your app was on TV and had an ad? Discuss. :)

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    "In this age of revolutionary technology, the power of computers must be harnessed, that is why us, the devs of tomorrow, would like to introduce to you our breakthrough in modern science... iFART!!!" *cue mushroom cloud*

TV ads are a BIG no-no. Too many devs, too little time (and prime time slots are expensive), and too many stupid apps.

3. Slapshot

Jun 12, 2009
    True, but I'm talking about games! Not stupid entertainment apps! :p

4. Besides, at the current rate iPhone and Touch users expect devs to sell their apps at, there's no way they'd be able to make enough money to afford TV ad space. Prime time ad space on a couple of major networks can run into the millions or tens of millions for even a short campaign. EA can afford to blow that kind of dough on a Sims 3 ad. Most others can't.

5. Giggity

Giggity Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Looking For Job
    USA
    Yaa.. No

6. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Too costly id say for an iphone dev.

7. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Yeah maybe during the Superbowl.... but an ad on a regular wednesday night on a kids channel could be worth it.

8. bware218

bware218 Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2009
    software engineer, teacher, musician
    Bay Area, CA
    The system Apple has right now for showcasing cool apps with the 'There's an App for that' campaign is as far as I see this going. It might be cool if there were more commercials with more apps being showcased in this space but I think as it stands the indie developers (myself included) cannot afford the pricetag of an official TV ad for our game or utility application.

I think that there should be some more work done with iTunes to bring to the surface some of the cooler apps that are out there. Maybe an App Review blog roll or internet television show so that cool apps can get more visibility and face time . . . all of this inside the iTunes application would be useful IMO.

:)

9. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    LogMein Ignition has an ad that I see CONSTANTLY on Hulu

Not quite tv but pretty darn close

10. Slapshot

Jun 12, 2009
    Well, speaking of which, E-Trade Mobile has an ad and NationWide does too. That's all I can think of so far.

11. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    And all of these including EA, are because they are part of larger companies and have bigger budgets consequently. Indie developers can nowhere near afford this.

12. Superbowl ads can run over $2m a piece. One 30-second ad a week in a national slot on one network, while cheaper (comparatively speaking -- we're still talking a low-end of $100,000 for a national slot per 30 second block) will have minimal effect -- almost guaranteed not to be nearly enough to cover the cost of the ad in the first place for the average iPhone game. You'd better have a freakin' killer app capable of hitting 7-digits with the right marketing before you even think about it.

TV advertising is the most expensive advertising there is, bar none. It's stupidly expensive. EA can afford it. 99.9% of the rest of the iPhone developers can't.

13. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    When I watch some German TV stuff on my iPhone ifun.de/tv I see ads in between for example an German ad just for Rick Rocketson... cool somehow :)