What Ever Happened to Bioshock???

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by alexsmokin27, Apr 23, 2010.

1. alexsmokin27

alexsmokin27 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Seriously guys, what the heck happened to bioshock, the last we heard was well over a year ago about the dev talking about some sort of two or three part game of bioshock???

2. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    no info has risen since....im soo sad.

3. Salacion

Salacion Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    It was abandoned. Developers left it aside and focused on other apps. Sorry.

4. itman

itman Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    I am yet to see a 2K game on the app store but correct me if I'm wrong. I doubt it is 2K Marine as well.

5. alexsmokin27

Mar 14, 2010
    is there any written proof to support this hefty statement other than common sense?

6. mynameisjesse

mynameisjesse Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
  7. Salacion

Salacion Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Not even common sense really.

But this guy above me answers it perfectly, so there you go.

8. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Bioshock is one of the best games on any format, shame it won't be coming out here.

9. rooteboy

rooteboy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Student/Beta Tester
    Earth......for now
    hope it comes out soon

10. alexsmokin27

Mar 14, 2010
    that was the pretty good blog and for a regular phone the screen shot looked really good, but my question is, is there any chance at all of us seeing this on the iphone?

11. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    #11 writingsama, May 13, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
    I downloaded it for a Verizon Razzle (don't ask), it's a 220x176 screen, that's roughtly 1/4 the pixels. It's an 18-bit screen too, 6 bits per channel.

My impressions:
    1) It's a great adaptation for regular cell
    2) The frame rate is passable at best, but that's not the game's fault
    3) Enemies only come on one at a time. This is fine! It's the right pace for a cell game, but would want more for the iPhone game.
    4) Cutscenes are told in pictures
    5) The texture work is probably pretty good on a higher end device (should I spend $10 to try it on a LG EnV touch? probably not), it's OK here but there's no mipmapping so some text is hard to read
    6) It gives a pretty good bioshock feel and gameplay, MUCH better than I ever expected for a mobile phone! (for ex. Prey sucked)
    7) It seems to follow the level structure pretty well

Verdict: Good job bringing bioshock to cruddy cellphones. It's actually good I occasionally neglect my itouch for my cruddier cell phone to play it, because it has that atmosphere so well. I have no idea if this is 'part 1' I'm playing or all of it. *shrug*

If it were ported to iPhone, a few things would need to happen:
    1) Better textures
    2) Perhaps better character models, the environment models are pretty good
    3) More enemies at once

That seems like a *reasonable* amount of work to do; especially since the level design is done, and the character models need refinements and not complete re-dos. Also since it's a BREW game, it already uses OpenGL ES (like the iPhone), and the engine wouldn't have to be rewritten too much. However it's pretty well been abandoned. Maybe they'll pick it up considering this but probably not. Here's hoping.

The best thing about it I think is that it shows that full 'real' console FPS's can be 'ported' pretty well (a 4- then 1- person team did this!), even to a cruddy cell. Also e.g. COD:WaW:Z. So maybe we'll start seeing more of those (Bioshock 2 anyone?)

Reviews:

http://verizongamereview.blogspot.com/2010/03/kmgr-of-bioshock-3d-part-1.html

12. Aussie2

Aussie2 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Bioshock would be amazing for the iPhone, I can't believe 2K rejected the idea

13. alexsmokin27

Mar 14, 2010
    honestly, writingsama is right, it really wouldn't take as much work as you'd think to bring a better quality cell phone version to the iphone, they would make all of the money needed to break more than even in the first day of selling even if it disappears off the top 100 after 3 days it will still be totally worth it for both them and us