We changed the OpenFeint leaderboard (Achievements) into GameCenter one: was it the r

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by OstinGames, Apr 23, 2011.

1. OstinGames

OstinGames Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Developer, CEO of own company
    USA
    Hi TouchArcade community, fans and developers,

We’ve just released an update to one of our iPhone/iPod touch titles KissIsland 1.5.
    Now the game offers both GameCenter and OpenFeint support. When opening up a new game, GameCenter is active by default whereas all players (around 20,000) have been using OpenFeint before (previous versions).

Do you think changing the priority leaderboard was a right decision? Do you think it will help the game gain more popularity? Won’t OpenFeint fans feel offenced? :confused:

We’ll much appreciate your feedback!

:cool: By the way, if you would like to try out the game, go there:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=92060

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kissisland/id416247004?mt=8
    [​IMG]

2. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Without a doubt.

Game Center is now the premium leaderboard and achievement system and i know that it is much faster and easier to use than OpenFeint.

3. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    Completely agree. Game Centre is great. Never really been a fan of OpenFeint.

4. AP9TV1

AP9TV1 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2010
    YouTube
    Maybe instead of making Game Center the default, you could have given them an option when the game first starts up to either use Game Center or Open Feint. Then they would have the ability to change that option later.

5. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    As the Dev says....
    GameCenter should be activated by default. It is telling people that the game is better of being played with GameCenter. Some People just want to start a game and play it not have to set up the game network once they have opened the app.

6. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Just looked at one of your videos nice mustache :p

7. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

The right move.

GameCenter = the future. Apple has a keen interest in seeing it succeed.

OpenFeint = allowed to play for now, but only at Apple's discretion. Its success is a matter of indifference.

GC is also much more user-friendly. I dread having to interact with OF.

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I can't stand OpenFeint, but have a problem with Game Center due to being on an iPod and offline most of the time. Achievements simply will not pop unless I'm connected, which is either an oversight or a nasty bug. If that were fixed... Game Center would be my #1 choice. Easier to use, less intrusive, every iDevice sold/updated now has its icon displayed prominently on the springboard... and it's just plain better looking.

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Actually, this all depends on the devs. They're responsible for coding and incorporating GC into their games. Some games, like you say, don't count the achievements you earned if you're not online. However, quite a few games are "backward-syncing" and will indeed add your achievements the next time you open the game with an established connection.

But definitely, Openfeint just feels so messy. GameCenter wins in my book in just about every way. The only complaint I have is that you can't message friends. I get not being able to send messages to strangers, but once they're on your friend's list, you really should be able to communicate with each other.

10. AP9TV1

AP9TV1 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2010
    YouTube
    Haha, thanks ;)