Universal Devil's Attorney (by 1337 Game Design) [TA GotY 2012 Honorable Mention]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 10, 2012.

1. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    I love this game! Especially if you like humor. I'm currently on my 14th case and it seems to me there's still quite a handful of cases left (i'm curious to know the total number of cases). I can't really tell if it is retina ready, but so far it looks really good on my iPad 3rd Gen.

My only complaint with the game is the RNG.

2. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Wait, so we don't even require basic gameplay any more, to generate hype?

3. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    Totally agree with you, Gabrien: to me this seems like a major case of style over substance.

4. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    I'm into my 30th case already. I'm guessing 40-50, maybe more.

Btw, try playing the game on hard. I played the first 15 on normal, and the rest on hard. I've only lost bonus on 2 of the hard levels.

I do agree this is style over substance. I'd give this a 4/5 just because of that. But mind you, the style is massive. If you're into satire and what not, you have to get this game!

5. shakey_storm

shakey_storm Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Hello, uhm, may I ask about the mechanics of the game? :) I like how people mention the humor involved, and the numerous cases, but I still have no idea about the game mechanics.

Does it play like Phoenix Wright? You investigate and prep a case before going to the courtroom? Or something else entirely?

Even just a basic description will do. Thanks!

6. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Played like 10 cases so far, it's pretty fun but not what I expected It to be. It's nothing like Phoenix Wright which TA was comparing it to. However the style definitely is superb now if the gameplay was different I would give this extremely high praise. I still recommend buying it and I'm sure as the game goes on it becomes more challenging with the added attorney powers which you gain from upgrading your apartment or from gifts from your client.

7. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Never played Pheonix, but this is quite basic gameplay. You get 9 points for example - and allocate these points to powers to destroy evidences and kill witnesses. Once you're done, the prosecutions turn it is. They attack you, with evidence, witnesses and in some cases the prosecutor dealing damage to you. Then your turn again with 9 points.

The gameplay is more calculative and doesn't involve any form of lawyering AT ALL. Play it on hard and you get some challenge.

And you get to level up powers like in an RPG.

8. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Nothing like PW. It's basically a battle system like Pokemon I guess is a good comparison. You "attack" the witnesses, experts, attorney etc. it's turn based too so your openents do damage to you and each openent can have a special ability which affects its fellow members. It's basically a health points systems and if you lose all your health your client is convicted.

9. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    So when is this hitting the AppStore? Because Appshopper has it popped, but it dead links and searches bring up nothing....

10. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied

The link at the top of this thread opens the appstore fine for me....

11. shakey_storm

shakey_storm Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Thanks for the replies!

I must say I'm a teeny bit disappointed; I was hoping for something else entirely. I might wait a little bit before buying this then.

12. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    I would assume there are 45 cases, since based on the achievements, there are 3 parts, and part 1 ended at 15 cases.

The humor, soundtrack and graphics is really the selling point of the game. The strategy part is there, but is still not as deep and certainly not comparable to Phoenix Wright.

13. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    There are at least 57. There is an achievement for getting 57 bonuses.

14. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Well... I can't imagine anyone thinking PW is deep, gameplay wise.

I do wish there was more things to do outside of case, apartment.

Wish there were some background info about Max... or anything. World needs more.

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    To Defred and JCman... Thanks for the rundown on the game rules and concept. Im buying!

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    How big this is uncompressed?

17. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
  18. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

373mb

19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    And just like that...bought. *runs off to job interview* I'M SO FRICKIN' LATE!

20. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Is there a gameplay video anywhere, like a let's play? I can only find the promo video which doesn't show much.

I'm disappointed this isn't like Phoenix Wright, but I'm interested in the game still. It's hard to grasp how it plays from a written description.