NanoMechs Online Multiplayer [Submitted]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Theorian, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theorian

Theorian Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Hawaii
    Battle it out with players all over the world!

If this is the first time you've heard of NanoMechs; It is a high speed, multiplayer shooter for the iPhone. Which now features awesome real-time multiplayer action over the Internet. Gameplay can be compared to popular 1st person shooters, except as a platform game with gorgeous 2D graphics!!

VISIT THE NANOMECHS WEBSITE (high quality video)

low quality video

-Real-Time Online Multiplayer Action-
    -High-Speed game play-
    -6 people can battle it out in high-speed simultaneously!-
    -4 BIG Weapons (to blow up your friends)-

Flak Cannon <- NEW!
    Missle Launcher
    Particle Accelerator Cannon
    Plasma Cannon
    more to comeā€¦
    -4 AWESOME levels to master-
    Lava Tunnel
    Outpost
    Fortress
    Hive
    more to come...
    -4 NanoMechs to choose from and more on the way!-
    -Death Match Game Mode and more to come-
    -Single player Time-Attack Game Mode Against NanoBots-
    -Crazy Robotic Sound F/X-
    -Amazing graphics-
    -White-Knuckle Shooting Excitement!-

Visit us at Theorian.com and Follow us on Twitter

(Twitter sweepstakes rules coming soon, be sure to RT)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Wow, its been a long time since I've heard about this game.

3. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

guys
    i'm testing this and let me tell you: nanomechs online= WIN!

4. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    Before I start I would like to say I am a beta tester for NanoMechs v1.2 and will continue to test all future updates. If you haven't bought NanoMechs I highly encourage you to check it out, v1.2 will be a major update over an already solid game. Many of you may have never heard of NanoMechs or thought the project had ended, but let me assure you Arin has been working on this for a long time and the results show that without question.

I've decided to give the forum a full review of NanoMechs, it's not very long so if you are even considering NanoMechs I would highly recommend you read this as it will give you insight as to how the game plays and that is very important in deciding if you want to spend your hard earned money on an App.

Graphics/Environment

I was stunned by the graphics in NanoMechs, the graphics are amazing, one thing I find hugely important is the "environment" a game is in and how the assets complement (or fail to complement) that environment. NanoMechs does an excellent job of portraying the future with objects that have the futuristic feel to them. Nothing looks out of place and nowhere do I see anything that stands out. It all looks like it belongs. All the levels have there own graphics and they all are very well done and will give you the futuristic look as soon as you load the game.

Online play is the heart and soul of many iPhone games and NanoMechs although it offers Singe Player is best when played online. If you've played other iPhone games online you will notice lots of lag, this is quite common and in some cases it will happen with any game, but NanoMechs is by far the best online experience I've ever had on the iPhone and Ipod Touch platforms. Lag is never an issue and online play is as well done as I've seen and I've played a lot of games from the App Store. If online is something you consider important you will have no worries with NanoMechs, online is very well done and has exceeded my expectations even in the earlier betas. Before I leave the topic of online I should also note that each of the levels were designed with online play in mind so every portion of every level complements online play.

Single Player

Single Player to me can be a deal breaker in these types of games because if you're not careful you can end up focusing so much on the online aspects of the game that you either don't include Single Player or not much work is done on it. NanoMechs Single Player though is very well done, while it may not get much use with online play, if you want to improve online you need to practice and the bots are a great place to start. Each Single Player game includes five bots and the player, while these "NanoBots" aren't the strongest bot they do get the job done and will help you immensely with NanoMechs online modes. If for whatever reason you don't have access to the Internet with your Ipod Touch or iPhone Single Player is a very enjoyable experience and will keep you coming back for round after round.

Controls

This is where many games in the App Store fall short, they either focus too much on using the Accelerometer or they completely ignore it. NanoMechs is the best of both worlds, while you use the accelerometer to move left and right, you use two on-screen buttons for jumping, while I at first questioned the need for two jump/fly buttons I now see why they were needed and I think you will too, in NanoMechs shooting is done by tapping the screen where you want to shoot and if you were attempting to fly and shoot at the same time on the same side of the screen it would cause problems. The shooting in NanoMechs is really a good system as opposed to some games where you have to press a button, in NanoMechs you can aim and fire with little trouble at all. You won't find more responsive controls in the App Store and I've never had any problems with them.

That concludes my review of NanoMechs v1.2, I hope you know a little more about this exciting 2D shooter now and it helps your decision in buying it. I will be honest I do have a bias, but before you discount this review I would like to share some thoughts. I know many of you have a list of games either you're testing or you have tested, lots of you have a bunch of names and that's fine, but my theory to testing is quality over quantity, I don't test every game that's looking for testers I only test a few games that I'm very interested in, NanoMechs was no exception.

When I joined the NanoMechs beta in January 2010 it was after many days of learning about not only NanoMechs, but also about Arin Cranley the lead developer. I'm telling you this only because I want you to understand I went through much of the App Store and this is one of the very few games that I had any interest at all in testing. After looking up detailed information on the games I narrowed them down to two, Arin replied to my request sooner so I went with NanoMechs and I haven't regretted it since. My point being that while I do have a bias to NanoMechs, it was there before I even requested the position as beta tester so look at this as a consumers review, with a beta testers knowledge of the development process for this particular game.

Thank you again for reading,

Ryan Dale
    Beta Tester,
    NanoMechs

5. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

I actually think the bots are harder than human apponents:p

but I do agree online is the thing that really makes the algame awesome. I'm not sure I'd like I so much without online play.

6. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    It's about time :p Can't wait for it to be approved. Online play I think will be way better than single player... Btw in the other thread, didn't you say there were going to be customizable nanomechs??

7. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

Online play update has been accepted within less than 14 hours: he dev. Just told me. Enjoy guys!

8. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Can someone please clarify: is this a new game or has it been out for a while and this thread is just to promote the 1.2 update?

9. MystikSun

Dec 18, 2009
    It's to promote the 1.2 update.

10. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Thanks.

So how long has the game been out, and what's the approximate user base at the moment? I really like the look of it from the video but my concern is, at $4 AUD how many players am I likely to regularly find online?

11. MystikSun

Dec 18, 2009
    #11 MystikSun, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
    Well I'm not exactly sure... But since the update came out literally less than 5 minutes ago, probably not much at this point.

I just played a 1v1 with Theorian, and it was really epic, even if there were only him and I. But I'm not sure how to change my name on it, and maybe you can add leaderboards. edit: i found how to change my name, and turned from crimzon to indigo

12. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Well if this supported Open Feint as well it would be a must have imo. Too bad it doesn't.

13. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about that one. I've only played the beta and online multiplayer has just been added

14. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Hmm. Perhaps the dev could shed some more light on this then? I'm very tempted to buy, but just want to be sure there will be people to play this with.

And yes, I would think leaderboards at the least, is something that's required to hold interest long term.

15. MystikSun

Dec 18, 2009
    And still, in the first two minutes i already find about 5-6 people playing, with some people that still don't know about the update and people that are going to find out about the game.

16. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    I just located the original thread so am now up to date.

I have to say, my gut feeling is it would have been smarter to have kept the price at 99c at least for the first day or two, as that would have helped boost the player base considerably.

In any case though, I'll likely pick this up shortly regardless. See you online.

17. Theorian

Theorian Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Hawaii
    #17 Theorian, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
    Gabrien and all, thank you very much for your interest.

The original versions of NanoMechs has been purchased 1000+ times. So I believe that we're sure to see quite a few players online. Well, with those numbers, I sure hope so! :)

edit: ah yes and leader boards are on the way, we really want to get that in ASAP.