Need review... Do you think my game idea will work if I invest more money in it??

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by rajcobra, Aug 11, 2013.

1. rajcobra

rajcobra Active Member

Dec 4, 2009
    #1 rajcobra, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    Fantasy Trader is a stock trader game that lets you trade your very own stocks and shares in a virtual stock market.

THE GAME

Fantasy Trader is an upcoming game blending the Fantasy RPG, Trading and Tycoons genres. Players will be able to explore, take on goals, buy and sell commodities and businesses, and build a trading empire from the profits. Imagine Second-Life, Mafia Wars, with a much larger role-playing element, and you can get something of the feel!

Here are some of the planned features for Fantasy Trader:

* Classic MMORPG, including character classes, building your own empire, achievements, short term and long term goals

* Multiple exchanges where player can speculate their stocks

* Economic system based on supply and demand

What is an Stock Exchange?
    Think of Stock Exchange as a place that allows people to buy and sell things. In the case of stock market, an exchange allows you to buy and sell securities. Securities, more commonly known as stocks and bonds, are traded every day, all over the world with the goal of making money. In this case, its stocks and bonds in Brad Pitt and even yourself rather than precious metals or Chinese currency.

What are Fantasy Dollars?
    Fantasy Dollars are the official currency of the Fantasy Trader. When you join the Fantasy Stock Exchange, you are given Fantasy dollars to trade in the stock exchange. Your job is to use the money to the best of the best of your abilities on the Exchange and profit from it. There can be hundreds of traders on FT that have taken their initial stake and turned them into a billion Fantasy Dollars! If you play your dollars wisely, you too can become the next guru.

What factors make the stock prices go up or down?
    * Market Forces: As stocks are bought and sold, the stock price will react accordingly. For example, if a number of people are buying shares in a celebrity, their stock will go up. The same holds true for people selling shares.
    * Market Maker: An algorithmic bot that quotes both a buy and sell price held in inventory, hoping to match trades between users.

For more info:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1707530918/fantasy-trader-virtual-stock-exchange-game?ref=live

2. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    I think that would work, and I'd defiantly play it!

3. rajcobra

rajcobra Active Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Thanks!!! and how do you think it can be better??

4. Rainier

Rainier Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    That Kickstarter link didn't work, but I sure would be interested in this game!

5. WildSnake

WildSnake Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    WildSnake Software - Co-Owner, Co-Game Designer, C
    Isn't this funnier to play(trade) for real money? ( On real market ;) )

6. rajcobra

rajcobra Active Member

Dec 4, 2009
    yeah that is one more point against the game... but in real market it is not possible to allow you to trade players, teams or your own stock...

7. liteking

liteking Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Indie Game Developer
  8. rajcobra

rajcobra Active Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Nah!!! it is similar in a way that you have to place buy and sell trades.

In TradeHero you place trades on real shares and prices which reflect the real NASDAQ stock exchange but difference is use virtual currency instead of real money. You cannot trade in Brad Pitt or Aaron Rodgers or Tiger Woods or your Own stock. Fantasy trader lets you do all this including the fiction prices of all NASDAQ companies.

The prices in Fantasy Trader is based on buying and selling of the stocks by users. Also, you are given dividends (extra $$$) on stocks you have bought just as the real stock market. It is way more fun to play and compete with other players in the market with your voting rights of the stock. You can vote for the stock dividend to increase or decrease so that you can earn or smash your opponent with this feature.

You can cash out your profit and earnings for upgrades, level-up, prizes and status symbols like owning cars, Yachts, luxury vacation, etc.

9. rajcobra

rajcobra Active Member

Dec 4, 2009
    If you are aware of the stock exchange we have built a whole "Terminal" for users. Where prices are constantly fluctuating with the Market Maker.

10. whitestatic

whitestatic New Member

Jul 16, 2013
    So you can trade both in celebrities and company stock? You may be overly complicating the model. Personally I would choose one or the other not both. It will make it a lot easier to focus features, brand, and the story if you don't mix the two. Either one is viable, doing both seems like you'll dilute both. If you go the celebrity/content route (similar to hollywood stock exchange where you can invest in movies/shows and actors) I would look at blowing it out with better features. For example, besides stocks, what if I could buy options (puts, calls, etc) on celebrities as well?

11. poisenden

poisenden Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I don't think this will work. You need to tie it to something. In the stock market, you buy into a company. Unless you tie it to something it probably won't work.