GameClub Waking Mars (by Tiger Style) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2012]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 29, 2012.

1. David Tiger

David Tiger Well-Known Member

Hey Hudcrab,

Sounds like you hit a major bug. I'm really sorry about that -- it's not acceptable and I need to find and address that for the first update. Can you contact me over email so I can follow up?

You might try throwing the acidic spore at the location where the sentient is supposed to be? Which is at the top of the power station.

2. David Tiger

Hudcrab,

It's also possible you completed the quest and the power station has been repaired but the mission objective is just incorrect.. does the power station now appear to be glowing? And if you check your world map, how much core power do you have? The result of fixing the power station is that core power is doubled everywhere, so if you had like 12 core power and now you have 24, that would indicate that you're not stuck and can proceed with endgame stuff.

3. Hudcrab

Hudcrab Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Ah good, looks like I might be alright then -
    The Power station is glowing and core power is at 26
    I will play on. It was frustrating enough for the game to cut out at a clearly climactic point, but the thought of having broken it would have been enough to make me not pick it up again.

4. Radogol

Radogol Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    The blue ones turn yellow upon contact with acid drops and pools.

5. David Tiger

Oh man, that's a big relief. The scripting of that sequence is kind of a giant mess, but yeah, you're definitely on the right track. Sorry about that! And thanks for reporting the issue!

All you missed was ..
    a cinematic showing you the lit-up power station and ART informing you usefully that the core power was doubled -- you get 2 core power for every harvester level at biomass level 4, and 4 core power for getting them to biomass level 5

6. Hudcrab

Hudcrab Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Thanks for your help & concern. Have just finished the game. Great overall experience - I was a huge fan of Spider and, in terms of novel gameplay style and narrative, both games are exemplary. Can't wait to see what Tiger Styles has in store for us next!

I won't hear a bad word said about the character portraits either.

7. requieminadream

Apr 24, 2009
    Dude, how? I'm crazy stuck at Lethe Gorge!

8. thedollarhunter

thedollarhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    London
    Just bought this and am delighted - very refreshing yet relaxing gameplay.

Reminds me of Exile - which is no bad thing.

Nice work!
    MJ

9. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Wait, so how do I
    finish getting the Sentinels what they want? Do I have to just raise biomass everywhere?
    if so, that seems monotonous.

10. Konakuer

Konakuer Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Hello, first of all I have to say this game is awesome! When I saw the previews and videos I said meh... But after all the good reviews I decided to give it a chance and I don't regret it. :D

But I have a question. Is it possible to get stuck on a level? Because near the Broken reservoir, where the lava pool is I don't know what I did but now I just can't reach the score to get out of there. I accidentally (well not) killed some plants and I can't get enough green seeds to give to the guys who float around and carry them... Well I can, but they get eaten by a predator on the way and I can't remove it anyway...

I'm sorry if it's hard to understand what I wrote, I'm still learning english.

11. David Tiger

Well...
    What does your mission objective currently say? Have you been to the Helm? Fixed the Power Station? If so, you need to raise Core Power, which means raising biomass only in levels with harvesters. You don't have to raise it in too many levels before the first endgame becomes available.

12. Prophecy07

Prophecy07 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Quick question, since the dev seems to be on this thread:

Does this game, or will it ever support Cloud saving? Specifically, if I play it for a few minutes at lunch on my iphone, can I come home and pick up where I left off on my ipad?

13. David Tiger

We're not planning for it right now but I'm getting a surprisingly high number of requests on the topic. It's a bit complicated because we save a lot of data (it's an open world and we save all your changes everywhere). I need to look into it more.

14. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Where are all the harvesters?

15. Prophecy07

Prophecy07 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    In that case, do you recommend playing it on the greater landscape of the iPad2 screen, or does the smaller-yet-always-with-me iphone 4s do it enough justice that I can trade screen size for portability?

16. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    This is something I was wondering about when playing the game. My free disk space was gradually coming down as I got further into the game... just how big are the saves?

17. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    Hmmm debating on this

18. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Not very surprising at all, to my mind :) I posted on the subject a few pages back, but mayhap it was lost in the sea of praise, so here goes again:

Waking Mars seems brilliant, and will probably be my sandbox(y experience) of choice until Prevail hits, and perhaps beyond. (Also, somewhere in an iOS dreamscape, you fellas, Glenn Corpes/CM Games and JohnnyTwoShoes have teamed up to create a Waking Mars/Prevail/Topia hybrid, for the ultimate iOS sandbox ;) )

However, I feel I should comment on the possibility of iCloud support. As explained to me by grandmasters and black belts of the Way of the Code, with the new Documents & Data storage APIs, you can basically instruct your app to simply upload any file from the documents subdirectory of your app directory to iCloud, at preset intervals, or upon user interaction (manual backups). Apparently with surprisingly little effort, at that.

In this way, you could allow true cloud backups without having Waking Mars constantly try to backup huge a world database upon each player change to the world state. You could, for example, instruct Waking Mars to backup at large intervals, possibly when the player exits the app (though this is where my knowledge of the new iCloud backup options mutate into speculation), or include manual iCloud backups as an option for players to activate at their own desire.

I'll play and enjoy the quivering biomass out of Waking Mars regardless, but iCloud backup is (a bit too slowly) becoming a standard, and it is especially convenient and appealing for a game like this one.

19. overthrow

overthrow Member

Oct 18, 2010
    #179 overthrow, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
    A little help?

I've got everything but 1
    cephan
    zoa 'research pending'
    Abstract
    Spores
    Reproduction