Universal Dangerous (a.k.a Null Space)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by violentv, Dec 20, 2011.

1. �����

May 2, 2012
    That's awesome. Bloodily awesome.

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks a lot for the heads-up. Loving the game & support it receives :)

3. Bandimon

Bandimon New Member

May 13, 2012
    Trade bug and dock bug

I'm using the 1.0.8 on an iPhone 4s, And I've fondo that the trade ruote bug is still unsolved.
    Some times the transport ship just cant't dock, but now it lost all my money 2 times.
    Home : hekka/hub station
    Buy luxury geom. Washabo/ying
    (sorry for the spelling, I'm relaying on my bad memory)
    After a couple of routes, the cargo after dock at home just disappear.
    Since the game auto save each time i launch I've lost all ...

Another bug : if you have a cargo that can sell or upload in your ship,
    If you undock before reading the sell/unload message, you're stuck in space
    And can't dock or warp, since you're in space, but the game think you're
    Docked.

Can i recover my 180.000.000 value of luxury ? Now I'm broke And frustated :-(

The game is really nice, but with that trade bug is too much frustating ...

Thanks

4. Bandimon

Bandimon New Member

May 13, 2012
    Suggestion

May I also suggest to have the auto save function
    use a different slot from the system/save one ?

5. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    First of all, Dangerous made me signup with TA to post here. First game I ever did that for, and only one of a handful I felt strong enough for to provide feedback. So, congratulations on an excellent game!
    I bought it shortly after release, but put it aside after like 30 minutes of playing, being overwhelmed by all the options during tutorial already, and getting blasted by the first enemy I encountered outside the tutorial mission.
    What brought me back was the game depth I could see in the various posts on this forum, and the dedication of the developers to improve it, fix bugs, etc.
    Now I have ~15 hours on the clock, and wreck enemy battleships with a destroyer, without breaking a sweat.

Now, on to the feedback part...

1) As many others suggested here, change the name and the icon. For the name, my suggestion is "Nullspace: Dangerous(') Tales" . For the icon, something more fitting for a space game, like a picture of one of the stations, or of a Leviathan, for example.

2) Additional interface requests:
    In the hangar, a button to move everything from/to stock.
    When flying, a button to (de)activate all weapons at once. After a while, it gets tedious to repeatedly activate 7 turrets.
    In hangar and store: Several people commented already on how tedious it is to push the transfer button alot of times to get a bigger amount of stock moved. I suggest to change these buttons so that they transfer stuff as long as you press it, with the speed picking up incrementally. E.g. the first 10 items get moved at normal speed, the next 50 at double, then the next 100 at triple speed, and so on. Exact speed open for testing what works best, of course.

3) Longer and better tutorial.
    Writing on my iPad now, so I won't post a lengthy analysis for now. In general, I think the tutorial does not cover enough of the basics of the game. I got 28 years of gaming under my belt, and even I felt put off by the complexity and lack of helpfiles. I imagine it feels much worse for someone new to gaming, or the more casual gamer in general.

4) Game balance:
    As I said above, I can blast apart battleships with a destroyer, without too much risk. It takes some time, depending on which wingmen (of the 3 I have now) I bring. When I play it save, I take Grace and Kali to make sure I get healed all the time. When I feel a bit more risky, I use Grace and Akio. Only when flying alone and geared without any repair equipment I get defeated so far. I ventured to most systems in the 2nd ring, and all of the first, so maybe this changes when I enter nullsec space. But still, taking apart a battleship plus support should not be that easily possible with a ship two size classes lower.

5) Additional information:
    The faction overview should also list which skill/reward you got from wich faction for the loyalty quest, so you can look it up later.
    The starmap should show the anomaly shortcuts. I saw this is already on your todo list, so I hope this makes it into the game.
    An extra overview in your quarters, that shows what you have in storage on which station.

6) More saveslots:
    I really broke a sweat when I thought that my savegame got corrupted. Turned out the game hung up even after restarting it. Rebooting the iPad resolved the issue. But I don't want to go through this again. Having more than one saveslot would help alot to reduce that fear. Plus it would allow to try out different things more easily.

7) A way to reset all skills and redistribute experience points. Not for free, that would make it too easy to change your skills to whatever you currently need. Maybe as reward for a loyalty quest?

8) 2nd round of loyalty quests:
    For those, rewards could be special ships, or special equipment. E.g more of the elite level gear I found a few of already. On 2nd thought, ships would be a good reward for a 3rd round.
    Oh, and change the loyalty measure to whole numbers. The "0.49" stuff struck me as way too nerdy :) Just "49" is perfectly fine.

More to follow for sure. And if I find the time, I will try and contribute to the wiki that another poster so kindly set up.

Best wishes, hope your sales pick up enough for you to make it worthwhile and keep you at improving the game. Which reminds me to mention that at least I am perfectly fine with paying for an additional content pack. Some of the things you mentioned (like the boarding and free walking on stations, or multiplayer) could easily be part of content packs, instead of free updates, so large is the scope of what you are trying to achieve here.

6. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    #386 xStatiCa, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
    Any chance to support the iControlPad (bluetooth controller)? I just found out that it has dual analog bluetooth controls when the developer uses 'special packet mode'. It does not require a jailbreak for the dual analog controls.

I want to get one because games are starting to support the special packet mode like VertexBlaster 2.0. I sure hope this device picks up more developers because it sure beats other controllers that either are not analog or require plugging into the headphone jack. The iControlPad is bluetooth.

7. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    The "Master Trader" skill seems a bit oddly named. The description says "improves the yield of all your mining operations" . Does this only apply when I mine myself, or also include operations by hired pilots (I assume that corp. pilots you hire also can mine)?
    The description should be more clear on this, and the name should the skill effect better, eg. call it "Oremaster" instead.

Master Trade should give a bonus to all trading operations done by your corp. pilots, say 2% per skill level, for a max of 10%. I don't yet know of enough of the game's economics to really suggest a meaningful percentage here.

8. binaryhelix

binaryhelix Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Sorry you're running into these bugs. We have some fixes related to routing in the current build. To help squash any remaining bugs, the lead developer, Andrew, might ask you some additional questions.

This is not a bad idea. If implemented though, the problem would be training/educating current users that they now need to manually save. Or maybe add an option that controls how autosave works. Something we can look at after the priority and UI fixes.

Thanks for the feedback! What things do you think we should have added to the tutorial?

We're sort of in a holding pattern about the icon. If we're able to add the on-foot ship boarding portion, then the icon makes more sense. But I agree that a more spaceship oriented icon would work best for the current game.

As for the name, I agree that it does not describe the genre like "Freespace" does so well. But also consider other games like "Elite" and "Freelancer" don't exactly describe "space game" either. And I'm just a little tired of all the space games with "space" in their title. It just seems like following the flock, and we're shooting for a desktop class game on mobile. Also, the name seems arbitrary, but obviously plays a big part of the story right off the bat. So, your point is taken (and lots of others have given us this advice). I'm not sure it would do much for sales now (keywords seem to help people find the game and there we do have "space"), and I like vaguish names. :D It feels like honoring the "Elite" tradition by doing so. In fact, if you know your Elite ranks, you'll know that Dangerous was the rank before Deadly and then Elite.

Good suggestions. We'll try to add these down the road.

If there's anything specific you can tell us to add, it'll help.

We have two systems that can be improved here. The AI Outfitter creates ships that are challenging, so maybe the difficulty can be tweaked. Or maybe we can add more game difficulty settings, like: tough, and hardcore. The second system is the AI Director which analyzes various factors in space and works with the Outfitter to create challenging scenarios. So both can definitely be improved further.

Yup, definitely on our to do list.

This is a fair suggestion, though we'd also like to add a cloud save feature. This would also let you share your save game between different devices.

This sounds reasonable, perhaps in a content update as a special quest.

Yup, the system was designed for a second round, but we ran out of time. I'd also like to make each loyalty quest even more unique to each faction and involve more story elements. So there's a lot that can happen here possibly as content updates or mission add on packs.

Thanks for your feedback. Sales on iOS and especially the Mac App Store are weak, but strangely more consistent on Android. We're considering adding ads to the free version, some fun IAP (but we're not going free to play), and selling a "Space Bundle" among other ideas.

That sounds like a cool controller. Ultimately, we'd like to support them all, it's a matter of getting a device and finding time to add it. Unfortunately, it'd still be a low to medium priority. Since we use Unity, there's a chance someone else will offer a controller support package in the Asset Store sooner rather than later.

Good suggestions. I think the skill name is definitely a bug.

9. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    Some changes that we're probably adding to improve game flow. Let me know what you think:

- No more manual locking. Instead, all craft and enemies are automatically locked. The ones that are in front of the ship lock 3x faster than normal. Allies lock instantly since your computers coordinate and enhance locking. This lets us remove the Lock button from the UI. We'll also add locking-in-progress types of animations to ships on screen and in the Contacts list. It'll help you prioritize targets. This feature is not set in stone, so let us know if you think this would be good or detrimental to gameplay. Or you have a better idea...

- A cleaner UI with auto hiding of some elements when not in use. The speed and distance sliders could disappear a few seconds after you use them. And then reappear if you touch in the area.

- Radial control for modules. You'll press a button to bring up the radial control which arranges your modules into a circle with the hi-slot modules at the top. We'd like to add a "shoot all" button here so you can train all offensive modules at one target (this shoot all button might have to wait for a later update).

- Lasers will now be controlled by a big button in the lower right which is (mostly) always visible. Each laser or mass accelerator module you add makes the beams stronger. So you don't have to open the radial control to shoot your lasers, just press the big button or double-tap to engage auto-fire.

- Gravity Vortex Bombs will also work like the new lasers. Each gravity bomb module you add makes them stronger. The bombs will be launched with a button near the laser button.

- Radial control for Autopilots and Wingmen. You'll press a button on the left side which brings up the radial control that lets you pick an autopilot and/or control both wingmen.

- You'll be able to pause the game when either the Autopilot or Module radial controls are active. This is controlled by settable options.

10. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Sounds good if you make this toggleable. By now I quite like the manual locking. Plus, I do not need to worry about accidentally firing at an ally or neutral ship. Yes, I know there is the safety feature, but still...maybe it's old habits dying hard, but something with a lock for me means something to fire upon. Plus, with alot of ships around (I have seen 20 or so) in busier systems you could run out of locks.
    And I personally have the feeling that manual locking gives me more control, e.g. prioritising targets. Along the line of "Lock first, kill first".

Good feature, if the reappearing happens instantly. Don't want to wait for the slider to fade back in slowly when I need it immediately.

I worked with radial menus in an application only once, but I liked it alot. Definitely worth a shot on a touch device, to see if it works out. Can I suggest that you make the menu freely placeable? I would not like to have the menu in such a spot on the screen that my hand covers half the screen when using it.

Didn't dogfight yet, so I cannot say much here. Of course, a "fire all" button is always handy.

See above, radial menus sound like a good idea. If that is possible coding-wise, leave the old menu style in, and make it toggleable, with radial being the default?

11. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    More feedback for tutorial and helpfiles

@Binaryhelix: Nice, I really appreciate your attitude, that you listen and go into dialogue with your players. Keep up the excellent work!

Right off the bat, I miss helpfiles that explain the differences between the weapon systems, and for what combat scenarios following/orbiting/distance-keeping work best.
    I think in one mission briefing there was a brief mention that a high-velocity orbit helps avoiding turret fire. Things like that should be in an easily accessible in-game helpfile.

Next, the available weapons, systems and ships:
    Yes, it is fun to find out yourself that there are several tiers of weapons/systems.
    But in-universe, Mr.Dangerous would just ask someone before he spends a few thousand bucks on a missile launcher that does not fit on his ship.
    Or someone might point it out to him, a ship-techie in the hanger for example ("nice big gun you got there, fella. Bit too big for that tiny frigate of yours, if you ask me.") .
    It does not have to be a full-blown interactive tutorial, a helpfile would be good enough.
    You could even make this a book (well, file on a datapad) in-game that you can buy ("Weapon modules for dummies, 3rd edition" , "Ship systems explained in twelve easy steps", "Royal Navy Document RNY17289-ghda/4, appendix 7-12: Active conflict resolution components - configuration guidelines for line officers commanding combat vessels of the D-MM5 <"Missile-based Destroyer"> class).

For ships, the "Assemble, Package, Use" thing is not exactly obvious.
    When I first assembled a ship, then forgot about it cause I quit the game and continued later, I thought I lost the ship cause I did not see it at the next station when I checked my ship inventory.

Ammunition:
    Just a short entry which system needs how much ammo when firing continuously for one minute. I ask this cause the description of the laser ammo ("these crystals last for months..." or something similar") made me wonder if I actually need more than 1 or 2 (as opposed to the few thousand shots of missile ammo I fly around with).
    This could be part of the ammo and/or of the weapon description.

Corporate pilots:
    How to use them definitely needs a tutorial/helpfile of its own.
    By the way, is this intentional or a bug, that I cannot tell a piloted ship to "return home" when I am not in its actual home system? I can push the button in the details, but nothing happens. It only worked when I flew back to the homesystem, and did it there.

General things:
    Helpfiles/tutorial that explain some general game mechanics.
    For example, will the things I left in storage at one station stay there, or do they get cleaned up at some point?
    Also, a brief mention of how to use the Quest interface, mainly covering dynamic quests (took me a while to find this feature, as I never had a reason to call up the Quest menu inflight).

Will let you know when I encounter more things.

12. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #392 Sheinfell, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012
    I also noticed that some menus do not have a "back" button.
    For example the quest view you get when you "view" a company agent that currently does not offer a loyalty quest.
    Or in your quarters, when you go to "Factions -> Details": Neither the detail overview, nor the ship details I can access with the "?" next to the ship entry in the details have a back button.
    Say, I want to view the flightroute of 2 of my ships.
    Once I viewed the first, I cannot go straight back to the ship detail overview of my faction to pick the next ship I want to see. Instead I have to do the whole walk of "hit Factions, scroll down, hit Details" again.

And I sometimes encounter a bug where most to all of the weapons on my active ship switch their ammunition.
    Unfortunately it is not consistent enough (happens maybe 2-3 times in 5-6 hours of playing) that I can reproduce it. I experimented a bit (with things like restarting the game, switching ships, switching weapons, etc.) but could not find a trigger condition for this behaviour. So far it seems completely random.

13. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Ship outfits:
    I think that the Hades capital ship is a bit underwhelming. 5 weapon slots only?
    Unless I miss something here, the battleships are way superior in terms of raw firepower, which is hard to replace with anything else.
    The Hades is supposed to be the biggest and most dangerous ship around, and its outfit possibilities should reflect that. 10 weapon bays with 10 hardpoints for each weapontype, so you can mount whatever you want. Plus 7 or even 8 of mid and low slots.
    If I get my hands on the most expensive warship available, I expect that I get a chance to play around with all those nifty toys - e.g. energy drainers - that I could never fit on the other ships.
    The boni you get for it being a capital ship fit more for a support ship.
    If you don't want to add even more firepower, a bonus to sensor/lock range etc. always comes in handy.

14. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Was the update with the wheel menus submitted to Apple in the end?

15. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    Some excellent feedback, Sheinfell. Will definitely address your points in a later reply.

Not submitted yet. After some tests, we've determined that the autopilot radial menu works well and will be the default mode of operation, but the module radial menu won't. What happens is that you lose situational awareness when those modules are hidden. In the case of the autopilot radial, the button that triggers the menu now changes to tell you the current autopilot mode, and the new wingmen control make the autopilot radial effective.

After testing with the auto-locking feature, we determined that it took some of the fun away and caused performance issues. All the ships locking everything in sight ate up CPU cycles, and it also removed some situational awareness since prior to the change, it was just enemies that locked you. So auto-locking won't be in the update, but we did improve the locking with a small animation which helps you understand how long it will take to lock certain ships. Auto-locking may return as a module that you can install in future update though.

The graphics and sound effects are getting a boost. There's a new missile launch sound that is way cooler than the original "whoosh" sound. We're also adding beautiful ship explosions for the more powerful devices, and some other graphical improvements which I'll leave as a surprise. :)

Also, one of the big reasons this update is taking longer than usual is we're revamping the UI and adding a "fire all" button. This was prompted by feedback from quite a few fans, so thanks for prodding us in this direction.

Now, the buttons that affect the ships in the Contacts list are grouped below it. The fire all button is smart: if you have an enemy selected, it'll shoot all your offensive weapons. If you have an ally or neutral, it'll activate all your helpful modules like remote repair. It improves the flow of combat quite a bit. And for the times that you want to micromanage the modules against multiple threats, you can still do that.

Suffice it to say that I think people will be very pleased by this overhaul. And hopefully we can submit this update next week... Stay tuned. :)

16. Cromwell

Cromwell Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Selfemployed PC Service technican
    Cologne, Germany
    #396 Cromwell, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2012
    Sorry, when this has been mentioned before.

I have problems with the steering. When I press Up or Down, the ship is going in circles. Why is this so? It makes steering very difficult and I see no advantage in it.

Then I think that the brightness is too bright for a game set in space. I would like to have it darker. More like in other space games. Would be nice if you add an option the set the brightness of the background individually :)

Ok, now for somethin else:

Maybe my idea seems a little bit odd, but I would suggest that ZARKSOFT Empire of the eclipse and BINARY HELIX should team up, mix their games somehow and make an MMO something like EVE with a little bit less complexity, multi OS and Devices support. :)
    Ok, sounds ambitious and expensive. :)
    That might be a kickstarter project which could need a big name...

So, if you need a universe which is well know by space rpg players, then you could take ingZ Inc into the boat, they made Traveller AR (the AR feature is nonsense in my opinion, sorry for that @ingZ, but that is the bitter truth), which sadly is on hold at the moment due to financial difficulties. So they need money :)

Ok, maybe call me crazy, but it is just an idea which came into my mind when I was thinking about and searching for a little bit less complex alternative to EVE.There is NONE right now!
    Maybe Vendetta Online, but that is not complex enough for me. :)

17. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    @BinaryHelix Thanks for the heads up. Sounds fantastic! Looking forward to updating the game as soon as the update goes live in a few weeks ;)

18. Yolkfolk

Yolkfolk New Member

May 27, 2012
    I packed my ship somewhere in one of two systems, but I do not recall where. Is there a way to find out where I left it?

19. Cromwell

Cromwell Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Selfemployed PC Service technican
    Cologne, Germany
    Could someone plz give me a hint on how to steer the ship up or down without rotating in a circle? I have absolutely no clue...
    I really want to play the game, but this makes me crazy. :(

20. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    @Yolkfolk : Unfortunately not. You need to go back to where you packed it, and assemble it again.

@Binaryhelix : That would be a nice addition for a future update, to see where you have what in store. Not only packaged ships, but also things you left in the hangar storage.

@Cromwell : Which control method do you use? I use the d-pad, and never had any problems so far. But then I am lazy and use the autopilot alot :)
    Do you have Newtonian Flight activated?
    What might help is to reduce the control sensitivity a notch or two, and see if things go better.