What do YOU look for in a platform game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by DistantJ, Dec 15, 2012.

1. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    So I've gathered a few fans and followers with AWESOME Land and MANOS, and I another few are in the works for 2013, many bigger or more complicated, but I'm curious. What do you, personally, look for in your platform games? What makes them stand out and ensure that you buy them?

For me it's the structure - iOS games tend to do the Angry Birds thing, throw hundreds of tiny levels at you which go past faster than you can blink and rank your performance. I always think a platform game stands out when the developer shifts focus to the variety of the experience - so that you don't spend too long in one world, focusing on the same backdrops in a different layout for 10-20 different levels before you get to see anymore. I prefer the console-style platformer, where worlds tend to be varied and contain boss battles. Usually if a platform game on iOS shows screenshots of boss battles and variety then I'll pick it up.

But what about you? What makes a platform game stand out for you, and what do you think iOS is lacking in the genre?

2. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Console style platformers

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #3 squarezero, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    Basically I agree with you, but I would add a few things:

* personality: the best platformers have strong personalities. But also that personality is fully integrated into the gameplay. Examples: Super Mario Bros, Rayman Origins

* characters: there's a reason why Mario continues to be sell games, and why some of the most memorable platformers of the SNES era were Disney-based. They all have strong, identifiable characters. You root for Mickey in Castle of Illusions, enjoy Scrooge McDuck's antics in Ducktales. There's more to it than just getting from point a to point b.

* variety: great platformers constantly introduce new gameplay ideas, even as they provide variations of established ones.

* puzzles: not every platformer needs to be a "puzzle" platformer, but the best ones provide challenges that go beyond dexterity. They make you think, not just react.

* consistent and predictable physics. Bad platformers feel "floaty," with characters, enemies, and objects lacking the "weight" that we expect from them. That doesn't mean that the physics need to be realistic, but they should at least feel internally consistent.

* checkpoints: long levels are great, but a lack of checkpoints can lead to unnecessary frustration, particularly in a mobile platform.

Boss fights can be great, but they can also be deeply frustrating if carelessly designed. Longer levels give you room to explore, but I can think of games like Mini Dash that hook you with bite-size but wildely creative levels.

On iOS, I would say that the following hit most or all of those marks:

Wimp
    Nihilumbra
    Frogatto
    Oscura
    Terra Noctis
    Wacoon!
    Incoboto
    Shantae
    Jazz
    Mutant Mudds
    Crazy Hedgy
    Storm in a Teacup
    NyxQuest

I'm sure there are others.

4. DannyTheElite

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    You like mutant mudds so much you listed it twice

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Actually, I should have listed Wimp and Crazy Hedgy twice, too :D.

I'll add Paper Monsters to that list.

6. DannyTheElite

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Mikey shorts should be there

7. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #7 tops2, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    Lol..noticed that too. Think I finally have some time later tonight to pick up Mutant Mudds.
    My favorites is Frogatto, Mikey Shorts and Shantae right now...

I guess I'm more of a wimp in platformers so I prefer a lot of check points with infinite lives. Platformers that make you start from the beginning of levels are just too annoying for me.

8. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    For a touchscreen platformer, I find that auto-runners perform the best. That's not to say manual-move platformers are not good - you've got games like Nihilumbra and Waking Mars which are simply amazing. But I don't think traditional platformers are fun on touchscreens.

Among the best auto-running platformers:
    - Rayman Jungle Run
    - Polara
    - Wind Up Knight
    - Gear Jack
    - Totem Runner

9. I play primarily on an ipad, so moveable controls are a must like on Mickey Shorts and wimp.

10. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    I disagree, auto runners have been done to death, we need more standard Platformers and not based on speed runs (cuz those have been down to death aswell)

It should be something like Megaman or castlevania. Also puzzles, I'd like for a platformer filled with a good bit of puzzles to go along with fighting and maneuvering etc..

Story is important too... As well as music, graphics(don't mean 3d) and most importantly last appeal and longevity. I feel like most Platformers end too soon I'd like one that lasts twice or 3 times as long.

Epic Boss battles are another must...

Agree with the games listed above also I still define games with platforming and fighting as Platformers rather than action/adventure(I dunno I guess it depends but i feel like too many games are focusing too much on just the platforming aka Mikey shorts...not that it's not good its just not the kind of platformer I prefer)

I guess my favorite Platformers ever would be magical quest starring Mickey mouse, super Mario world 2 yoshi's island and Donkey Kong Country 2/3 there needs to be more games similar to these on iOS. The closest to it is I guess terra noctis, shantae and froggato.. But even those fall a bit short too the great console Platformers of old...

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Check out Vergence. It's the closes thing to a Metroidvania in the App Store.

12. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Thanks

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I LOVE platformers.

Its worth going over some of the best ones over the last 30 years, from Manic Miner to Sonic to Mario etc.

Variety is good in a platformer, eg i remember Batman/Mario Land on the Gameboy (mono), mostly a platformer, the odd section where you're in a vehicle and so you're constantly moving up and down and shooting.

Some levels need more platforming jumping skills, others more 'shooting' skills for the enemies. Variety is good.

Your Manos game i really enjoyed, i do think Respawn points are very important as its so frustrating going back through a long level or restarting again, make sure you can save your progress as well !

Both your platform games i've got and i do really enjoy. Again i think a variety, eg one level might have lots of enemies so its a bit 'contra'-ish so you have to shoot left/right/enemies above as well etc. Other ones more platforms so more jumping. Disappearing/crumbley platforms are always good.

But worth doing some homework (sure you are) and checking iOS games which get it right, Storm in a Teacup, Meganoid, Stardash, Paper Monsters, Little Acorns and others. Look again at Mario/Sonic and see what they did right (or wrong). To me Super Mario Land on the Gameboy (black and white) is one of the best platform games i've played, simple graphics, its all about the gameplay at the end of the day.

Look forward to your next platforming game though.

14. DistantJ

Jan 25, 2012
    Yeah, I love platformers too, I remember Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy and all this back on my Acorn Electron (BBC Micro), and these days I'm enjoying Rayman Origins and Sonic Generations and the like on my Xbox, and the Mario Galaxy series on the Wii was amazing. I would say my favourite 2D platformer ever was Yoshi's Island though.

Unfortunately on iOS there are certain budget issues. For example some people dislike how AWESOME Land has variations on the same boss rather than a different boss for each world, but when prices are a race to 99 cents, there's just not development budget in there to program multiple bosses if you see what I mean.

I dream of creating a Yoshi's Island type game, where I can just pour all my ideas and creativity into it without worrying, but the risk is that you can spend months or years on a project and end up making about $200 total on it, so unfortunately you have to play it safe on this platform =/ ONE day though!

15. I like all these:

Attached Files:

16. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Buttons...real ones.

/thread

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep some great ones there. Got most of them and i'll check out the others.

I've got (Ahem) 7 folders full of platform games so i'll have to list them at some point !! On screen buttons work very well on platformers (and also icade compatible !)

18. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Bean's Quest
    Mutant Mudds
    Soosiz

Those are among my very favourite platform experiences on ANY console in the last year or so.

Personally I like secrets in my platformer games. Secret walls that hide things, secret exits, secret levels. I love secrets! (Don't tell the wife).

19. DistantJ

Jan 25, 2012
    My current project is looking like it'll be a pretty epic platform game, but it's quite different in its gameplay as an attempt to create a deep platform game which doesn't use virtual buttons. Not a runner, not a platformer, something different altogether... It's extremely fun to play so far, I'm looking forward to unveiling it in the new year.

20. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Looking forward to it!