iTunes/review sites advertising

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by JCik68, Nov 26, 2009.

1. JCik68

JCik68 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    student
    Slovakia
    Hey guys,

my friend has iphone developer studio and he is gona to release his game first so he was thinking about some advertising.

Is it somehow possible to advertise your game in iTunes (see picture, in section 1 or 2?). I know you cant get to Whats hot etc... but what about others games in section 1 and 2 on my picture?

Also, what iphone review sites would you recommend to buy advertisement on? Thank you!

[​IMG]

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    None of that space on iTunes is for sale.

arn

3. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

Yeah I think Apple choose who gets to go there.

4. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

Yup, apple picks these. They usually go for the big companies like EA, Gameloft etc...or celebrities who release their app.

5. JCik68

JCik68 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    student
    Slovakia
    thanks for answers...
    so basically those application in section 1/2 are just some special VIP apps that arent in What New/What Hot/What We Are playing sections, right?

6. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    there seems to be a fair amount of overlap. it's not all "vip" stuff. usually it's stuff they featured they particularly liked or felt to be notable.

arn

7. dawvee

dawvee Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    iPhone Developer, DaVoid Digital
    Dublin, Ireland
    Yeah, as far as I can tell those sections are for Apple's benefit, not necessarily the developers of the apps that appear there. The purpose of those sections is to make the App Store in general look like an appealing and rich experience, so Apple picks anything they think will get a large number of customers (particularly ones who aren't already purchasing frequently on the store) excited.

8. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i am currently at an apple iphone developer kitchen event (stockholm) and i asked about these sections - typically, there is a "partnership manager" in each region who recommends applications (dont ask me how to find your local representative; i met mine at such events).. and the apple itunes team does the selection.. it is not always for VIP!!

some tips (to get selected now)

- utilize new features
    -- open gl es 2.0
    -- compass, et al
    - be unique (dont copy someone else's ideas)
    - push the boundaries to their limits

just because you have a good brand; dont expect it to be highlighted; apple wants to promote the newest hardware; so it drives sales.. (ie: people upgrade).. and thats the main driver behind these categories.

good luck :)

9. Thanks, mobile1up. That's the most detail I've seen on how people get selected for being promoted on the app store.

Any idea who the "partnership manager" for Silicon Valley is? :)