Debate:Most Influential iPhone Games(So Far)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iVaro, Apr 24, 2010.

1. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    We are nearing the 3rd year of the App Store and the category that has been hyped about the most, praised for it's variety and shunned for it's depth(or lack thereof) has been the Games Section.

I have started this thread now to ask: TO YOU what are the most(any amount) influential games you have come across on the iDevices? These games could

a) Have shown what the platform has been able to do in terms of performance.

b) Have shown what the devices have been able to do in terms of innovation

As mentioned in the title this thread is up for debate(please keep it clean :))

2. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    iDracula - It started the IMMENSELY popular dual-stick shooter genre

Modern Combat: Sandstorm - Proved that the iPhone could handle first-person shooters with great controls.

Flight Control - Single-handedly started the line-drawing genre

Zombieville USA - Helped to make zombie games on the platform popular

Eliminate - Really boosted the use of DLC, as well as the first online FPS, started the freemium trend

Brothers in Arms: Hour of Heroes - The first 3D shooter on the platform, before people even thought that the iDevice could handle gaming at all.

Assassin's Creed - The first well-known port of a game from another gaming device.

Call of Duty: World at War: Zombies - Proved how many games could be ported to the iDevice. Plus, it shot right to the top of the charts.

Those are a few that I think made some huge differences in the App Store

3. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    A good summary, but you left out GTA, which proved that extensive and detailed games can be provided with no cutbacks on the App Store, and Chaos Rings, which proved the beautiful graphics and in depth RPGs are possible on this platform.

Also, whether people like it or not, Pocket God was revolutionary, proving to devs that if u update your game a lot, it will be successful, causing there to be an increase in upgrades

And I feel Doodle Jump is revolutionary but I don't know why....:rolleyes:

4. Nokendo

Nokendo Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Tap Tap Revenge
    popularized idevice gaming.

5. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    true. Except now its an extremely stupid game...

6. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Who is the fanboy? ;)

7. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Yeah, I forgot about GTA... HOW COULD I!!!! Yeah, that could be one of the highest-profile games yet.

I have a feeling that Chaos Rings will be revolutionary, proving that going above the $9.99 limit, and it's doing really well. If it keeps up, I'll put it on my list.

8. frendil

frendil Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    New Zealand!!
    real racing, showed great graphics and a real racing game could work on the platform

And of course GTA:CW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Easily the best game on the platform, it showed good psp/ds games could work

9. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    What was the first shmup to have relative touch control? Because that's a pretty great control mechanism, which is in a ton of games to this day.

10. laladanger

laladanger Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    What about PapiJump - the first accelerometer based jumping game.

The longest game to stay in the top 5?

11. SunriseMoon

SunriseMoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I thought Doodle Jump ended whenever you died. The longest game would probably be something like...The Quest? I've heard people say it's 50 hours- without the expansion packs!

12. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Great list overall. I just have to correct you on a couple things. iDracula was not the first dual stick shooter but rather the first popular dual stick shooter. And eliminate was not the first online fps but rather the first one to do it right.

13. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Sword and poker
    All in one gamebox
    labyrinth(2)

14. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    He's talking about how the game is in the itunes top 5

15. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Well here are mine

N.O.V.A.- This clone of HALO showed that the iPhone was capable of many things. People who did not think much of the iPhone when seeing this said, wow. It also shunned the critics who said that FPS could not be played on the iPhone because of the controls.

Real Racing.- Similar to N.O.V.A. this game when looking from outside made you say "The iPhone can do that?" . The gorgeous graphics, multiplayer and controls helped too.

Hero Of Sparta- The first real hack n' slash game that could be easily compared to a PSP counterpart. It also showed that the iPhone wasn't a kiddie game either.

GTA: Chinatown Wars- This was the first big game made by a company known outside of the iPhone gaming scene that was not a "part-port" meaning that they had left out nothing too important out of the game.

Chaos Rings- Newest entry. Showed that the iDevices are capable of the big RPGs as well and it was published by another big company, meaning that more people are starting to take notice.

I'm sure that there are some I missed

16. Bok Choy

Bok Choy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Student
    I think Tap Tap Revenge opened up the eyes of devs to see what the iDevice could really do. Doodle Jump also opened up a flood of doodle-themed games. Eliminate was/is also really popular and a successful online FPS.

17. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. They were the first to popularize their genres.

And do you think we can add Kick-A*s for being the worst movie game ever? I havn't played it, but it's apparently awful.

Oh yeah, I'd like to add iZombieland for being the first movie game that wasn't a blatant advertisement and was actually a good game.

18. SunriseMoon

SunriseMoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I know, I just like to show people how incorrect grammar can be misunderstood :p

19. laladanger

laladanger Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    I meant the longest game to stay in iTunes Top 5. Correct me if I'm wrong.

20. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    How could this list get to 19 posts and no one mentioned Fieldrunners?