Google play better than App Store IMO

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jayg2015, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    #1 Jayg2015, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    I've had a galaxy tab for over a year and never cared to look at the google play store until this week.
    I noticed way more games and better prices.
    The amount of games for my favorite genre is crazy.
    I feel as if I've been missing out for quite awhile.
    Now if I really like a game I will , in the future, purchase it on both devices.
    Even some of the games I like are even free compared to $5 on Apple.
    Also a noticed a few of them are even updated more..
    Also it could be my excitement that I'm feeling this way right now because I just discovered it but this is how I fee at the moment.
    Also it has more suitable games that are for your liking and games they think you will like based on previous games. Apple has this but are never games I would ever play and half of them aren't even related to others I've tried

2. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    I stArted to use it, and it has better free games
    Now all we need is infinity blade in playstore

3. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Its been a few years now that I've been into both platforms. I prefer word or card games mostly but with some exceptions that are purchased from the Google Store that's played on the Nexus 7. Mostly I stay with iOS because of my genre of game preferences and the use of the larger screen on the iPad. But sometimes I want a particular game on a smaller screen and look to the Google Store (or even one saved for later play). So I do appreciate using both as each has their own strength and weaknesses.

4. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    I used to stick with iOS for games b/c my IpT is a gaming device, while my Galaxy s2/4 are my workhorses that makes calls, internet, GPS, etc. Recently, I've purchased some games for And instead on account of them being surprisingly cheaper, although if cheaper on iOS, I still do that.

In one case, with Galaxy Trucker, I figured the game would play and look better, and be less cramped on the gs4's 5" screen, rather than the IpT5's 4" screen that's very narrow (the game plays in portrait mode"

5. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I had the opposite impression about a year ago. Itunes had more free games, and prices were generally better. Maybe its different now.

6. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Every time I go to google play store it always has cheaper games and more titles for my fav genre

7. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Lol quite the opposite for me, everything more expensive and way less AAA games .

8. BenjFDC

BenjFDC Member

Dec 21, 2015
    France
    It's much easier to find content on iOs, we see more new stuff. On Google Play we always see the same games

9. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    For me this is one of the biggest issues! I'm into both Android and IOS and this is the most frustrating thing! You look up a title in the App Store and it comes right up at the top. In the Playstore you look up a title, and so many times you gotta scroll a hundred games down to even find it! I HATE that! Why can't they fix that? There's a lot more to be had there but they make you dig, dig, dig to find anything! Would be a game-changer for sure if you ask me! #

10. CrazedJava

CrazedJava Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    There is really no excuse for how bad the Google Play store is about not displaying new releases or its tendency to bring the crappiest games to the top. There is a lot of good content there but it is difficult to find.

Android tablets have finally matured to the point that I have switched back to one and couldn't be happier from a hardware standpoint. However, the "discovery" process of finding things new is simply terrible.

I think the overall design of the play store is perfectly fine and better than the AppStore in some ways. It is how they select the top results in their various categories that seems baffling to me. I will say that the search is much better on the Play store but this is Google so that is as you'd expect.

11. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    #11 Leegames, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    To make the topic really interesting, I would like to know:
    "What is your favourite genre" and "for your liking" or "fav games", as some of you said,
    Prices are often cheaper yes, due to insane amounts of pirating, and often with more IAP to follow.
    What made me quit Android after several tries were the "not compatible with your device". I really use mobile for a hassle free platform, and Android just does not deliver on that.
    Anyways... Gaming is fun, and so is discovering a new platform. :)

12. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    I don't really like play store interface so much since it's quite hard to find games, and appstore have better design in finding games.. I mainly use my note 4 for gaming now, and I liked gaming in android better than iOS because of manually backing up savedata, but the store is definitely better on the iOS IMO..

13. Preston Berger

Preston Berger New Member

Jan 19, 2016
    New York, USA
    Google launched the Android Market in 2008 with only a handful of apps. But it quickly grew. By 2009 it contained some 2300 apps and by the summer of 2010 there were 80000 apps available, and the total number of downloads had surpassed the coveted 1 billion mark. However it was still a long way behind Apple’s App Store. During 2011 Google hit three major targets, 3 billion total downloads, then 6 billion total downloads and then 10 billion total downloads. This trend continued into 2012 where the number of apps surpassed 500,000 for the first time and the total number of downloads reached 25 billion.

The Android Market was re-branded as Google Play on March 6, 2012, as it was merged with Google Music, and Google eBookstore. Google’s store managed to surpass Apple’s, in terms of the number of apps available, towards the end of 2014. As for 2015, the Wall Street Journal has reported that Google Play had 70% more app downloads than Apple’s App Store in the first quarter of 2015, but Apple’s app revenue was about 70% higher than on Google Play. The WSJ report is based on numbers from the App Annie Index: Market Q1 2015. The WSJ goes on to say that, “Google Play had 70% more app downloads than Apple, bolstered by demand in emerging markets such as Mexico, Turkey, Brazil and Indonesia. By comparison, Google’s lead in the third quarter last year was 60%.”

14. Freeway82

Freeway82 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    You cannot manually backup save data on Android either unless you are rooted.

Even if you are rooted and manage to extract the save file from the /data folder, there is no guarantee it would work once you restore it, especially if it is a Gameloft game. I know because I have Note 4 too.

On my jailbroken iPad Mini 2, I can extract every game save folder using Filza File Manager and whenever I restore them they continue normally, even if I restore the file to an updated version of the game I extracted it from.

Sorry but for serious mobile gaming, iOS is untouchable.

All my serious gaming are on iOS and my Note 4 is just for time wasting clickers for on the go.

It doesn't also help that almost every game that runs smooth on my iPad Mini 2 lags like crazy on the Note 4.

Maybe it is a Samsung shortcoming which I have vowed never to purchase a device from ever again.

It will now be either LG or Apple.

Oh and most games on the PlayStore are garbage.

I should know because I have been using Android phones for ages. From HTC Desire HD to Note 2 to Note 4.

Nevertheless, Android gaming is impressive on a capable device like the Nvidia Shield Tablet.

15. CrazedJava

CrazedJava Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Because I can easily install a Micro SD 128gb card on my Shield and back it up to a hard drive I don't have to worry.

Also, you talk about having to root an Android device but you have a jailbroken iPad. In other words, you can't manually back-up on either device out of the box.

I can, however, easily add as much storage as I want on Android, which is one of the reason I switched to the Shield this month. Plus, games are pretty much the same these days. There are a handful of iOS exclusives but I'm finding very little I care about that only runs on the iPad. In the meantime I've actually found quite a few gems on the Android that I hadn't seen on iOS.

So I wouldn't say it is "untouchable"

However, if Apple hadn't been so hellbent on keeping the iPad a closed system where you can't do something as simple as add an SD card I'd probably still be on it. I switched to the iPad because it just works.

But Apple's constant updates breaking everything and constantly growing app sizes without the ability to add to my storage space without an expensive hardware upgrade drove me to Android.

Which isn't to say Apple doesn't still have some advantages of the iPad is a bad platform, but it is no longer the clearly superior one.

16. Freeway82

Freeway82 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    #16 Freeway82, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    Lol. Bro for a starter, The Appstore games options is on a different stratosphere when compared to games on the PlayStore and I am speaking from the view of someone who owns a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 as his primary mobile phone and an iPad Mini 2 as his primary gaming device.

Off the top of my head, I can name 10 solid games that exist for ages on iOS but are yet to see a release on Android, if ever.

I am talking about games like Battle Supremacy, Last Inua, Lili, Bike Baron, 2K Drive, Bioshock, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Sky Gamblers Cold War, Oceanhorn, Bastion, Radiation Island, Transistor and an endless list of others.

Sorry but whenever I look at the Playstore, all I see are poorly made clones of other successful games that barely function well. Though you may come across some gem sometimes but that is so rare that it becomes a probability.

Secondly the reason why I mentioned Jailbreaking and Rooting in order to be able to extract save files is because the guy I quoted touted backing up save data on android as if it is a feature of the OS which it is not. You have to root to access the /data folder deep in the system where save files for most games are stored.

Then again there is no guarantee that your manually backed up save files would work if you restore them later manually on android but they work all the time if you restore on iOS.

Besides the iOS iCloud functions a lot better for backing up save games than whatever is obtainable on Android. I know because I have been using android phones for ages and still do currently.

Finally, games do not install on the External SDCard on Android but on the internal storage so I have no idea how you intend to back up save games from an External SD Card. The Ext.SD Card is only used for media storage and nothing more unless you are rooted.

I know the Android and iOS system with all their shenanigans like the back of my hand and have been rooting and jailbreaing since 2009 so I have broad knowledge on both system.

17. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    heh... It's only a matter of time before I'll be getting that on my IpT5. Ever since the IpT3, an improved screen was my main reason for upgrading, but int this case, the Iph and IpT diverged with the Iph6/+ getting the 4.7" and 5.5" screens. Nope. The IpT6 has impressive specs elsewhere, but a bigger screen was my main requirement. An Ipad Mini is too big to fit in my pocket.

I got the IpT5 back in late 2013. I'll be impressed if I can get another 2 years out of it. If it's not the battery, it's the constant updates that'll either require me to get a new iDevice, go without game updates, or just give up on iOS gaming on handhelds. I really loathe how these devices appear to have such short life cycles. Even with consoles being more expensive, and ditto with PCs, they're still cheaper in terms of value, and can last 7+ years.

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yeah, like Freeway's saying...I'm not so sure you know how the SD card works on Android. I had a Note 3 for a year and while it was a great device, it SUCKED being tricked into thinking you could have unlimited storage. I had to root my device and ended up using an app to "mount" apps on it. Nightmare. Frickin' nightmare.

Even though I'm sick to death of Apple, their Game Center problem and how anal they've become when it comes to backing up apps...screw Android.

19. GAMESHARQ

GAMESHARQ Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Earth
    Same here. That's why I chose an iPhone over an Android when I got a new phone. I looked up a bunch of games and significantly more of them were available on iTunes than Google Play. Also, games on iTunes go free often so I very rarely have to pay for anything. Just put it on my wishlist and wait.

20. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

It depends on what type of games you're looking for.