Post your game's before and after pics!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ReignDesign, Jun 7, 2010.

1. wkerslake

wkerslake New Member

Dec 27, 2011
  2. checkpoint2011

checkpoint2011 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Interesting thread!

3. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    Unity3D work - Just a tiny virgin Minigolf game, no fancy gimmicks ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Grizzlage

Grizzlage Active Member

I absolutely love threads like this. Heres a little contribution from my game [thread=119576]Stellar Stacker[/thread]

Early alpha
    [​IMG]

Version 1.0 - Initial release
    [​IMG]

Version 2.0 - Current release
    [​IMG]

5. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Here's a series of progress shots for RoboHero. Since this was our first title, it was all very "learn as you go" when it came to graphics and user interface and all that stuff. I think we pulled it off though with our limited resources!

Early Alpha:
    [​IMG]

Programmer Graphics:
    [​IMG]

Testing Tile Sets:
    [​IMG]

Testing User Interfaces:
    [​IMG]

Starting to implement higher quality graphics
    [​IMG]

And finally we have the current release version here:

[​IMG]

6. Johnny Photon

Johnny Photon Member

Jan 16, 2012
    mobile developer
    near Indianapolis, IN USA
    This thread made us look back and laugh

After looking through this thread we pulled out an old backup. Wow, I forgot it ever looked that lame. I guess it does show what we did with all that time.

This is our game Bash The Bankers back in April and as it appears in the App Store today.

The first shot looks like the bankers are out in the desert. The cannon has no 'butt' and no wheels. And check out that fancy user interface!

[​IMG]

Here's what the level looks like now (I forgot to turn off the frame rate display on the screen capture).

[​IMG]

The pedestals really look a lot better. The lighting has changed slightly but mostly it's because we baked the textures. Less geometry plus better looking!

[​IMG]

You can't really tell the bankers don't have ties because they don't face you. They really are like jackets with tee shirts. Those models don't look much different but the new ones have a lot less polys.

It's hard to capture on the still, but there is smoke and sparks from the cannon.

[​IMG]

The best part has no before picture because when you won the level, nothing much happened. Now the scene fades to dark, the fireworks start, and if you earned a trophy, it spins before you.

[​IMG]

For an old married couple writing their first iOS game, I think it turned out pretty well!

7. jeffsim

jeffsim Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Program Manager
    Seattle, WA
    Great thread! Here's Rainbow Link

Great idea for a thread, I love looking at other developers' before and after shots - it gives me hope for my many in-progress projects :).

I've just submitted Rainbow Link to the appstore - it's my first iOS indie game. It's come a long way in a pretty short time - here's what it looked like about a month ago:
    [​IMG]

And here's what it looks like today:
    [​IMG]

I've also got before and after videos up on youtube. Here's a link to a before video:

(plug) You can find more details about the soon-to-be-released game at wanderlinggames.com.

Cheers,
    Jeff

8. gormster

gormster Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Apple Crush

I love seeing peoples hand-drawn sketches!

Here are a few early sketches for my game Apple Crush, and how they compare to the finished product:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I doodled a random jumble of geometry to test out the level physics, and decided to keep the resulting prototype level in the final game.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I put together a template to speed things up, but all future levels came together in pretty much the same way.

9. Scraff

Scraff Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Well at the moment this is just a Teaser picture.
    I will sure upload the befores and afters fully in a week or so!

@ScottiStudios

[​IMG]

10. Maystorm Games

Jan 26, 2012
    #330 Maystorm Games, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
    That's "CELERITY". It's more or less a 3d tetris game. Goal is to get through the hole with your cube-object.

Early stages:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And two pictures of the released game:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Maystorm Games

11. Great thread!
    Here's a shot from my new game 'End Night' www.endnightgame.com
    showing the infected towns furniture store before and after an art/lighting polish pass

[​IMG]

and the lab (where the player brings the infected samples they collect) On the ipad 2 this blue light flickers on and off with the shadow changing, however for the ipad1 version have had to disable this effect.

[​IMG]

12. kiwicat

kiwicat Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Graphic Designer and Game Developer
    Spain
    Wooow, great topic, and really cool games ;)

13. ReignDesign

ReignDesign Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Can not believe this thread is still going, but love all the entires. I think this will be the first VIDEO before and after post!

This was our new iPad game Flockwork before...

:D

14. Aztlan.Games

Aztlan.Games Well-Known Member

Ha! Great thread :)

As our game Tesla Overdrive is nearing its release, let me show you some gfx!

Here is the game in a very early stage:
    [​IMG]

Here is the game now:
    [​IMG]

That is a difference!

You can see more here:
    http://www.aztlangames.com/teslaoverdrive/

15. nocanwin

nocanwin Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    <3 the thread!

Alpha

16. glaze

glaze Member

Nov 17, 2011
    iOS game programmer
    Finland
  17. CharredDirt

CharredDirt Well-Known Member

My game Charred Dirt Defense isn't close to done, so I'm not sure if this qualfies, but here's the 2-3 month progress from my first concept to where it is now.

P.S. Reign Design, my daughter absolutely loves your Pig Rush game.

[​IMG]

18. Kikekun

Kikekun Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Artist
    Ok, maybe is a bit early as our next game 'Supermagical' is not out yet, but here I post the first mock-up I did just to show the concept to my team mates.
    Note that the color-matching mechanic was already the core of the experience, although it was much less casual with lots of orcs and monsters, though, plus the choice of buying catapults and giant bows to defend your castle instead of using warlocks, as of right now.
    Also, the main character is kind of similar, although in the final version is a witch, not a wizard.

[​IMG]

And this is how the final game looks. Take a look into our thread ( http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=132577 ) for a video, info and more screnshots:

[​IMG]

Cheers!:)

19. JeremyTM

JeremyTM Member

May 4, 2012
    #339 JeremyTM, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
    Initial concept tests:
    [​IMG]

Getting there:
    [​IMG]

Release:
    [​IMG]

Check out Draw the Line on TouchArcade here.

20. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    @CharredDirt. I like your WAKFU art style. Looks really appealing to me.

JC