Universal Lead Wars - by DemonStudios

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DemonJim, Nov 19, 2010.

1. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Lead Wars v1.5 has just been approved!

What's New in v1.5:

• Staff Sergeant Campaign Missions
    • New Standard Map, 'Tribridge'
    • Pencil shadow effect
    • Minor bug fixes
    So anyone who had previously completed the Single Player Campaign and was on Staff Sergeant will be glad to hear there's 20+ new missions letting you now rank up to Sergeant First Class!

2. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Just a heads-up - Lead Wars will be going FREE for the first time EVER on 4th July for INDIEpendence Day!

Won't be free for long, so ensure you pick it up!

(Normal price is $2.99 USD / £1.99 GBP)

3. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Good to know! I already own it but I know my son old not mind having it!

4. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
  5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Still an amazing game. Best strategy app on iOS :)

6. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    This game is brilliant. I love the moving/shooting mechanic and the sound effects are great.
    Ive only done the tutorial and the first few missions but I can see this being one of my fav turn based games on my iPod.

7. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Thanks to this 4th of July free promotion, the game's getting about 500 new players every hour at the moment, so now is a great time to try out the LIVE online mode -- it's better in many ways than the normal (Asynchronous) online mode in that you get to watch your opponent's moves in true real time (even where they're looking!).

Also, if they quit out they surrender the game immediately, so there's always an end to the battle and none are left hanging unfinished like can happen with async games.

NOTE you can search for a Live online opponent in the background while playing the single-player Campaign or even asynchronous games - then as soon as it finds a live opponent it will auto-save and pop up and ask if you want to battle them.

Just ensure you click the "Online (Live)" tab in the Game Setup to start a live online search. Also, once it starts searching, you can even change the game setup for new games and it will remember what it was set to when you started the search for your online game.

Another tip: If you tap 'Invite' on the "Online (live)" tab, it shows how long roughly it will take to find an opponent.

Trust me if you like the game you'll love the live mode - it's way more fun than async mode! I'll be starting some Live game searches myself later on (in an hour or so) - so if you play against me LOTS OF LUCK!

Newcomers to the game, please try and complete all the Training before playing online - this game takes quite a bit of skill to be any good at it! But 10 minutes following Training carefully and you'll be a pro.

Lead Wars - full game free for a limited time - Happy 4th of July :)
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lead-wars/id393340337?mt=8

8. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Thanks for the promotion. This is so much fun :D

9. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    I'm probably going to end the promotion tomorrow, so this could be your last chance to pick the game up for free.

Lead Wars has had about 200,000 downloads over the last five days which is pretty great, and the other day it was the #1 Strategy game in 23 countries! So thanks to you all for playing. It's great to see so many people playing online, particularly the Live mode!

Thanks especially to those who've given words of encouragement and those who've taken the time to rate it and write reviews. If you read this whole thread you'll see the game itself has evolved as a result of feedback from reviews and feedback from you guys here on TA - so an extra special thanks to those who bought the game early on and helped me improve the game.

10. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Lead Wars v1.6 is out!

Lead Wars v1.6 just got approved!

What's New in Version 1.6:
    • All-new sticky note message system
    • Rank shared online with insignia shown in-game
    • New button click and message sound effects
    • Twitter integration - Tweet your victories
    • Minor bug fixes
    So yes I've finally got rid of those horrible blue standard system popup messages!

Attached Files:

11. markkimse

markkimse New Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Awesome.

Congrats to the development team for pulling this off.

I loved how you implemented the real life game into a mechanic that works in a video game. Kudos!!

~M

12. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Lead Wars gets update adding support for iPhone 5 and iOS6

Thanks Markkimse - although the 'team' is just me. I even have to make the tea. ;-)

A new version of Lead Wars has just literally just been approved:

What's New in Version v1.6.1

• Added full-screen support for the iPhone 5 and iPod touch (5th generation)

Note: Support for iPhone 3G and earlier, and iPod touch (2nd generation) and earlier have had to be dropped. But the good news is it still runs perfect on 3GS and iPad 1 and later, so hopefully this doesn't affect very many people at all!

Btw it supports full Retina Display on both iPad and iPhone too, so it looks as good as it can on all devices, and now in full-screen on all devices too. Enjoy :)

13. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Just a heads-up for people toying with the idea of picking Lead Wars up soon:

Lead Wars will be FREE for 24 hours on Tuesday 6th November 2012 as it's being featured by AppTurbo's App Of The Day app!

So be sure to grab it quick as it will be going back to the normal price on Wednesday.

PS. Good job there are no other big gaming releases on Tuesday... </irony> ;)

PPS. Anyone interested in what I'm working on now should check out www.demonstudios.com - Fliptomino is a 'fast action puzzler' that will be coming out early next year on iOS, Mac + other platforms! The best part - there's a pre-Alpha proof-of-concept demo playable RIGHT NOW on PC or Mac. I'll start an upcoming thread here on TA nearer release, just mentioning it here so Lead Wars fans get the first look :)

14. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    It's passed midnight in the UK now so I've now changed the price of Lead Wars to FREE worldwide for this App Of The Day promotion by AppTurbo!

It will go back to the normal price of $2.99/£1.99 on Wednesday evening at 7pm GMT.

(If it's not showing up as free give it 20 minutes or so for the price to propagate through the app store).

Enjoy!

15. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    #135 DemonJim, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
    Back to paid now - thanks everyone for picking the game up while it was free - all 211,003 of you! Big thanks to AppTurbo for the free App of the Day feature!

Note I'm planning on adding AirPrint to the game so you can print your maps out in hi-res and play real life Lead Wars! Then you can make up whatever rules you like (or have the often-requested boats and helicopters!). Pencil and safety goggles not included. :)

16. odaSoft

odaSoft Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    iOS developer
    Argentina
    Hi there,

I'd like to know about AppTurbo. Are those downloads real or they are made by bots? Could you confirm that you have 200K new users using the app? Or justo 200K downloads. Thanks!

17. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    #137 DemonJim, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
    They're real downloads for sure. I didn't pay AppTurbo anything for the promotion, they simply featured it in their App of the Day app, so it would make no sense and be of no financial benefit for them to cheat the downloads in this way. Plus it must be really easy for Apple to spot the patterns of bot-farm downloads nowadays (particularly as you need a unique AppleID for every single one).

Just by going free from $2.99 many downloads are from people watching price drop sites and twitter feeds as well remember. The game got an initial boost of about 150k new names on the Leaderboard, and 100s of new names are still posted daily, a week or so later (more than new daily sales, so is clearly people who picked it up during the sale and only just playing it now).

Basically, now is a perfect time to play Lead Wars online, particularly the live mode where you watch the opponent look around the map in real time!

18. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    New version of Lead Wars is now live, v1.7, which adds 24 Sergeant First Class Campaign missions, 3 new built-in maps (created by a fan of the game!) and the ability to import/export custom maps via the Clipboard.

I plan to have a map creator competition at some point in the future so get creating and stay tuned to the @DemonStudios twitter feed!

Happy pencil flicking!

19. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    In celebration of the release of v1.7 yesterday, and Christmas / the generic holiday season, Lead Wars will be on sale from $2.99 down to $1.99 / £1.49 from now until the New Year!

Merry Everyone!

20. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Sweet. I haven't played Lead Wars in awhile, but this sounds like a good reason to do so.