Shatter Alley : A Musical Multitouch Endless Brick Breaker

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JustinFic, Apr 8, 2014.

1. JustinFic

JustinFic Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    Game Designer / Programmer
    Las Vegas, NV
    #1 JustinFic, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    Update: Shatter Alley hits the App Store tonight, and is already going live in some countries! Promo codes are below if you want to try the game today!

Breakbeat Alley

Dojotron, LLC
    "Best New Games", "What We're Playing" - Apple "The style is completely intuitive to pick up and start playing in an in…
    $2.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    "Best New Games", "What We're Playing" - Apple "The style is completely intuitive to pick up and start playing in an instant" - Trevor Sheridan, AppleNApps "I love the game because of the addictive gameplay mechanic, simple and charming visuals, and upbeat tunes." - Christine Chan, AppAdvice "Frantic, endless fun for people who like a challenge." - Evan Killham, Cult of Mac - Breakbeat Alley a music-driven reimagination of the brick breaker genre for touchscreen devices where your fingertips are the paddles. Turn out the lights, put on your favorite pair of headphones and lose yourself in trance-inducing gameplay and mesmerizing visual effects choreographed to over 50 minutes of electronic music. Use multitouch to juggle limitless balls at once and aim each one with laser precision. And you'll need to. Because the bricks are coming at you ever faster and if they reach the Red Line of Death, it's curtains. And curtains it will be, over and over again. But before long, you will be banking impossible shots and scoring huge color-matching combos amidst a frenzied tapfest of light and sound, and it is then that you will reach blissful, brick-breaking nirvana. Welcome to the Alley. * Breakbeat Alley features: - Intuitive— yet frantically challenging— 3D brick-breaking gameplay - Gorgeous 3D visual effects hand-choreographed to over 50 minutes of electronic music - Fully customizable playlist— fine tune your game around your favorite songs! - Universal, Game Center, and iCloud support. Play and compare your scores with your friends across all your devices - A whole list of global statistics. See how the world shatters!
    Information
    Seller:Dojotron, LLC
    Genre:Action, Music
    Release:Apr 10, 2014
    Updated:May 04, 2014
    Version:1.0.1
    Size:64.7 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (3)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

-

Hey TouchArcade,

My name is Justin Fic of Dojotron, a one-man independent game studio in Las Vegas. I'm happy to announce and reveal my first game for iOS, called Shatter Alley.

Shatter Alley is a music-driven reimagination of Breakout for touchscreen devices. Instead of controlling a paddle, you will use your fingertips to hit balls back into play and smash a neverending wall of bricks that is always coming at you.

The game could be quickly described as a mashup between Breakout, Lumines, and Ikaruga. The whole game pulses and beats to music and uses different skins for each track, and balls will penetrate through same-color bricks for huge combos.

Shatter Alley features:

• • Frantic 3D brick breaking action — designed so any player regardless of skill can enter a heightened state of Flow within seconds and stay there for hours
    • • Gorgeous visual effects hand-choreographed to over 50 minutes of electronic music, ranging from trance to chill and a few tracks that are just wacky
    • • Fully customizable playlist — rearrange the songs you like, disable the ones you don't
    • • Universal App with Game Center and iCloud support
    • • Global statistics, with global achievements.
    • • Distraction free — no IAP, no coins, no upgrades, no missions, no Twitter/Facebook prompts, just 100% pure unadulterated gameplay

Shatter Alley has already been approved by Apple, and will go live this Thursday, April 10. The price will be $2.99 (no IAP.)

Check out the trailer:

Screenshots:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll be happy to answer any questions you guys have about the game, and would love to hear your comments/feedback. Thanks for checking out Shatter Alley!

2. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Very cool, I might have to pick this one up. Are there any power ups?

3. JustinFic

May 20, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Many thanks! There are no powerups in this one— I had a few planned when I started development but the game worked so well without them that I just ran with it. (I also didn't want to overdesign the game and make it TOO complex, which was the fate of my last project.)

The complexity instead comes from the color matching mechanic, and avoiding hitting the ceiling with balls (which speeds up the game.)

If you'd like to try it out for yourself, I'm including a few promo codes below! Let me know if you snag one and I'd love to know what you guys think of the game.

Enjoy!

933FX6M3AYFW
    9JJHYKFA67WJ
    AMWHAKPHP7RW
    4JKKTLKL6RTR
    LJM3FR9NR9W4

4. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    took 4JKKTLKL6RTR

5. i took the first promo code, 933FX6M3AYFW :)

great concept -- really enjoying this game so far!

6. Klonis

Klonis Active Member

Apr 2, 2011
    9JJHYKFA67WJ code taken.Thanks!

7. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thank you so much!
    AMWHAKPHP7RW

8. JustinFic

May 20, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    #8 JustinFic, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    Anytime! Hope you guys are digging it.

Just an update that Shatter Alley hits tonight, and is already going live in some countries!

Breakbeat Alley

Dojotron, LLC
    "Best New Games", "What We're Playing" - Apple "The style is completely intuitive to pick up and start playing in an in…
    $2.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    "Best New Games", "What We're Playing" - Apple "The style is completely intuitive to pick up and start playing in an instant" - Trevor Sheridan, AppleNApps "I love the game because of the addictive gameplay mechanic, simple and charming visuals, and upbeat tunes." - Christine Chan, AppAdvice "Frantic, endless fun for people who like a challenge." - Evan Killham, Cult of Mac - Breakbeat Alley a music-driven reimagination of the brick breaker genre for touchscreen devices where your fingertips are the paddles. Turn out the lights, put on your favorite pair of headphones and lose yourself in trance-inducing gameplay and mesmerizing visual effects choreographed to over 50 minutes of electronic music. Use multitouch to juggle limitless balls at once and aim each one with laser precision. And you'll need to. Because the bricks are coming at you ever faster and if they reach the Red Line of Death, it's curtains. And curtains it will be, over and over again. But before long, you will be banking impossible shots and scoring huge color-matching combos amidst a frenzied tapfest of light and sound, and it is then that you will reach blissful, brick-breaking nirvana. Welcome to the Alley. * Breakbeat Alley features: - Intuitive— yet frantically challenging— 3D brick-breaking gameplay - Gorgeous 3D visual effects hand-choreographed to over 50 minutes of electronic music - Fully customizable playlist— fine tune your game around your favorite songs! - Universal, Game Center, and iCloud support. Play and compare your scores with your friends across all your devices - A whole list of global statistics. See how the world shatters!
    Information
    Seller:Dojotron, LLC
    Genre:Action, Music
    Release:Apr 10, 2014
    Updated:May 04, 2014
    Version:1.0.1
    Size:64.7 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (3)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

To celebrate, here are a few more codes!

64XX4R9KAEXK
    FK4TPLJEFYT9
    L3T66HWJ6WFH
    EXTHFM3KPMY4
    J76LYLLRXFPY

And no one (at least publicly) claimed LJM3FR9NR9W4 from before, so that one might still be worth a shot too.

Enjoy :)

9. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

All used. Anyone that grabbed it got some Feedback about the Game?

10. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    What the heck? I swore that wrote a review and suggestions. I will have to write it again later. Dang it! Let's just say this game kicks ass!

11. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Did anyone else see the review? I swear I posted it. I hope I'm not losing my mind.

12. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Ok here it goes. This game is awesome! The music, gameplay, and graphics makes this game stand out well above most brick breaker games. Something that the app description doesn't tell is that you tap to activate the paddle, which is shaped like a circle. You can control the ball pretty well and that aspect is important for the way this game works. When I read the description I thought I could tap and hold and swipe wherever I wanted the paddle to go. Timing your taps are crucial to this game and if you tap and don't hit anything you will be penalized. This makes the game much more challenging than most brick breaker games. You can activate as many balls as you want. A problem for me is that I always press on the bottom of the screen when I want to add another ball and I get penalized because you are supposed to tap above the line. I love the flashy graphics and chill music. I highly recommend this to any brick breaker fan or anyone who likes twists on a classic. This is in my top 3 brick breaker games that I have played on ios and I have played over 20.

13. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Game Developer (iOS, Mega Drive, C64)
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Damn, I was literally just talking to the producer/designer of Shatter for PS3 about game ideas and he mentioned he wanted to do pretty much exactly this! You beat us to it! Haha. Looks fantastic, though, I'm gonna grab it!

14. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    LOL... How come lurkers get promo codes everytime?

15. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    Usually, I'm not into brick breaker game. Though the game looks like an usual brick breaker game, actually this game was a blast :D. It's a challenging brick breaker game. The level is endless, you can shoot the ball as many as you want here. However, if you'll be game over once you lost 3 balls. It'll be game over too when the brick reach the limit line. The music is really great, I don't have another word to describe the music properly :eek:. Every beat from the music really match with the blitz screen. Some people with epilepsy might be disturbed because of it, an option to switch it off may be better. There's achievement also Game Center leaderboard. If you enjoy brick breaker game, you shouldn't miss this one.

16. JustinFic

May 20, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thank you Sanuku for the gameplay video, and coolpepper43 and copaeci for the extended impressions!

This is interesting, I'm curious to know if anyone else got the same impression from the description. I've noticed that the first few games for a lot of people are pretty brutal before they get the hang of the controls, and I wonder if that's the reason. Anyone else experience this at first? (Thank you for this insight, btw!)

Only a few more hours left before launch... I've still got a few more promo codes if more people want to play it before then!

94XNMYPYTWRY
    J3R7LWYFNTXA
    3EEHKTTT6NNX
    7KTHJWNLRY4P
    WK7W3MA6JY3J

17. falco

falco Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Canada
    Great game just took me about 4 try to understand how it work.
    Its alright guys I'm loving it but for how long ?
    For now I will try to beat my score of 922,500.

18. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    The pleasure was all mine. Thank you for your generosity. I really hope this game becomes successful.

19. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    As a brick breaker fanatic who thought he's seen all this genre can muster, this game offers some uniquely cool gameplay with a bumpin' soundtrack. Great stuff!