RPG lovers and addicts need to get our fix, whats next...

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by aquatic, Feb 18, 2010.

1. aquatic

aquatic Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Professional Game Tester
    WA, USA
    seems like the RPG lovers have had some downtime since new releases..

don't wanna hear about whats coming in a few weeks or a months or what ever, wanna hear whats coming soon and I mean the next REAL RPG coming soon.

No posers that are just hack'slash posing as RPGs to sell more copies or some ish like that please (to many to name :( :( :( ).

Cool? I need my fix yo! :rolleyes: and when I say I need my fix, I mean I REALLY need my fix!

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Did you miss Across Age or something?

3. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    If you really are an RPG lover/addict I hope the iPhone isn't the only platform you own.

4. aquatic

Dec 20, 2009
    Professional Game Tester
    WA, USA
    something about running into mobs head first to attack them kinda killed it for me. Also finding my way around the mazes they called maps kinda killed it too and made it seem very linear. Also only two player classes, a warrior and a mage that you HAD to play no matter what didn't make it feel like the RPG I would really expect. If I am missing out on something, please let me know?

still.... need to get my fix, need to know whats next.

5. aquatic

Dec 20, 2009
    Professional Game Tester
    WA, USA

def not but it's the only portable platform I own atm

6. dicework

dicework Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Game Developer
    Finland
    I don't know how you define a "real rpg", but Rimelands might be worth checking out ;)

(we'll be starting a topic for it when we get couple of concept art pics ready)

7. Draycon

Draycon Member

Jan 29, 2010
    That looks good dicework. I'll be interested to see more about it.

There are entirely not enough turn based RPGs in the Appstore. It's something that always boggled my mind. Turn based seems to lend itself greatly to the portable genre. Take a turn, put it down and do something, pick it back up and take a turn... etc... etc

8. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    This is what's exactly been going through my mind over the past few months. No need to worry about controls, among over things. But instead, devs seem intent on making real-time, grindy RPGs filled with fetch/hunts quests. I mean, I like those games too, but by now, the genre's getting a bit saturated with them. Need more turn-based plz.

9. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    You obviously haven't tried Zenonia or Inotia 2.

10. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Agreed, my next several games will be turn based. Better to play on the go, and the controls are much easier to use on a small screen. Unfortunately the first one is still a ways out, if all goes well maybe it'll be ready by the end of March or early April! I've posted a couple of threads and teaser pics in my own forums if you are desperate for info. Otherwise, rest assured that an Upcoming Game thread and full details will be posted in the coming weeks, so stay tuned! :D

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #11 drelbs, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
    Have you checked out the recent Fighting Fantasy and Gamebook Adventures releases? They're what a lot of us RPG fans were enjoying 20 years ago... :)

12. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Well luckily for me my idevice does satisfy all my rpg needs. I never had sooooo many RPGs in my pocket at one time.

13. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I completely agree, but it seems the few times developers have tried (Wolfenstein and Doom 2 come to mind) all people do is complain about them. A lot of people even complained about The Quest, even though it's one of the most thorough RPGs on the App Store at this point.

If you need anyone for beta testing... :)

I'm playing Orlandes and Warlock Mountain right now, and they are both great, but sadly I don't think they would be much of a fix for people looking for any sort of "real" RPG. However, should someone decide to look into these I'd recommend the Fighting Fantasy books simply because there is more fighting. Now if you're looking for a good story, go with An Assassin In Orlandes all the way.

14. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    You must like older rpgs nothing wrong with that, but I was just pointing out how the iPhones library doesn't have a good selection of rpgs. Especially not for an addict of one, I find myself playing 3-4 rpgs at once. The iPhone certainly doesn't satisfy my needs.

15. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    There is also the case of quality over quantity...

16. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    #16 TheFamousEccles, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
    The Genesis emulator will have Shining Force, which is good news for all RPG fans. If it ever comes out that is.

I'm glad I'm not the only one tired of ARPGs. Thankfully we have a couple devs like CommanderData who share our frustration and are working on RPGs that consist of more than hitting a button until the bad guy dies.

Somebody should make a list of turn-based RPGs.

17. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    You're saying the iPhone has enough quality rpgs? I disagree, again if the iPhone is enough to satisfy someones rpg needs thats fine. However I have a ds, ps3, 360, and a ps2 which do not only have a higher quantity, but also higher quality rpgs.

I don't spend my time playing 3 crappy rpgs at once you know? ;)

18. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Uh, I may have been misunderstood. I meant the opposite, that the iPhone needs quality RPGs instead of the ton of monotonous ones that are in the market at the moment.

19. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    You just said out loud what i was thinking!

20. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    Ah yes I misunderstood you. My apologies :)