Paladin Studios aims to make iPhone game in two weeks!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by DylanNagel, Mar 20, 2010.

1. DylanNagel

DylanNagel Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Freelance game producer at Wild Card
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Hey everyone!

I am Dylan, cofounder of Paladin Studios. We're a game developer from The Netherlands, Europe.

We're about to begin one of our biggest challenges yet. We are going to make an iPhone game from start to finish, in just two weeks! Even though our team consists of experienced professionals, the iPhone platform is completely new to us. We’ll be working with Unity, a development tool that allows for great speed. We already used it for making our biggest game yet, EnerCities. But that’s for PC and Mac… the iPhone has rules of its own!

In the upcoming two weeks, we will share as much of the creative process as possible. We’ll be talking about our gameplay ideas. We’ll show concept art and in-game screenshots as we’re making them. We’re inviting you to share your thoughts on everything we do. We hope you’ll help us test a rough version as soon as we release it. And on Friday April 2nd, we’ll be submitting the game to the App Store, no matter what.

Think we’re crazy? Be sure to follow our adventures on our Dev Blog and on Twitter, and of course right here on our favorite iPhone games forum, Touch Arcade. Hopefully you’ll be as excited about this as we are!

2. rooteboy

rooteboy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Student/Beta Tester
    Earth......for now
    cool good luck

3. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

no, we dont think you're crazy because devs have made games in 72 hours
    still interested though!

4. iball

iball Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    So this is going to be EnerCities ported to the iPhone?
    What you're saying is you're porting a Facebook game to the iPhone?

Or is this a completely different game with new IP?

5. DylanNagel

Aug 22, 2009
    rooteboy - Thanks!

That sounds awesome! Which games and developers were that then? I'd love to see what came of it. And glad to hear you're still interested.

No, we're not porting EnerCities to the iPhone. We're going to make a completely new game in two weeks, to get to know the platform. Of course, we have bigger plans as well, but we felt we had to start somewhere.

Only one more day, Monday morning we'll begin production!

6. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

the game is called project72

7. alexsmokin27

alexsmokin27 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    well seeing as how two guys alone have made a game in 24 hours we wouldn't think a trained team of game makers are crazy for trying to make one in two weeks, taking two whole weeks to just make one game sounds a little more lazy than crazy to me

8. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I never understood the appeal of these "we made this game in two days" gimmicks. Do you really think end consumers care about that so as to flock to your game in droves?

9. Emme

Emme Active Member

Apr 27, 2009
    I'd say take 4 weeks :D

10. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with this. I mean, what I care about is a great game. If the game takes two weeks or a year, I don't really care as long as the end result is a quality game.

I also think the game is going to be a little on the simple side if the time frame is shorter.

11. Muscat

Muscat Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think that this kind of exercise is more for the developers benefit than the consumers. The upsides are that you get to really rapidly learn the ins and outs of the process, what is easy and hard to do, how the submission process works and all the rest. You learn so much on your first app, busting one out quickly is sure to be an educating endeavour.

If a good game comes out the end of it then that's just an added bonus!

I also have a soft spot for these kinds of projects. There is something very real about a game where you can imagine what it was like to develop. Its not perfect and has some rough edges, but you can kind of relate to the developer as well. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck!

12. DylanNagel

Aug 22, 2009
    Thanks for all your feedback people! I definitely appreciate your honesty.

Muscat, I think you put it into words perfectly. As a studio, our goal is to learn as much as we can, as quickly as we can. At the same time, we also sincerely aim to make a fun game, even though time is limited. Part of the challenge for us will be to be open about everything we do.

All that said - today we officially started our two week development sprint! I just posted a new story about this on our Dev Blog: http://www.paladinstudios.com/cms/iphone-game-project-start/

Not too many details yet. I hope to share much more in the upcoming few days. Cheers!

Attached Files:

13. DylanNagel

Aug 22, 2009
    Just a short message to let you know we're still working on our iPhone game! The concept and core mechanics are decided upon, next up is the main character. Also, the first working prototype is finding its way onto our iDevices.

You're welcome to check out our dev blog for a few extra pictures.
    http://www.paladinstudios.com/cms/iphone-game-random-pictures-time/

Attached Files:

14. DylanNagel

Aug 22, 2009
    Hi everyone!

First week of our iPhone game development sprint went well. If you haven't seen it before on the blog, allow me to introduce the main character:

[​IMG]

We managed to create a rough first version of the game, which I'd like to share with a few testers. If you're interested, please mail me your name, testing experience, type of iPhone / iPod and your device id.

Hope to hear from you!