Universal Payback² HD (by Apex Designs)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Hen14, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    This happened with another game, the Lo wang game I think, it went up to like $50 to prevent people from buying it, and then was pulled (a bug had been found, nasty one, I presume) and then came back a little bit later. I assume that's what happened here. I hope it is.

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I also hope it's this, or something similar...

3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I envy the optimism you guys seem to possess. Seems likely to me, given the current iOS climate, that they determined freemium would be more lucrative and dropped the paid version. The freemium version has pay per hour multiplayer, coin IAPs, pay for episode unlocks, and more so they can generate a lot more money if people actually want to play.

4. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Yes, but they did update the paid version a few days ago, and they could have kept the paid version at 30€ if nobody wanted to pay, no? Anyway, if in the end you're right, I won't get the freemium version and stick to the paid version, unless they make such an update that it looks as Payback3...

5. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Well, Payback2 HD is back in the app store, so for one, being optimistic was a good thing :)

6. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Oooooooooo.... On sale for $20....

=o/

7. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Never said it was on sale, just back to the app store :p I guess $20 is the sum of all the IAP of the freemium version, more or less...

8. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah... I said it was on sale. Showed up on my watch list dropped from $30

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    LOL. I must have missed this when it came out, but in no way shape or form does this look like a $20 game. I'm not cheap, but the original $3.99/$6.99 structure was more in line IF it's a good game.

10. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    So an update for this just came out on my devices but im kinda weary of updating because I dontknow if they messed up the balance or something. Is there anyone who updated already ? It now says its Payback 2 Pro so I assume it still is a full premium version but Ive been burned before.

11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Ha... Back up to $30

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I like supporting indie devs and have this game and do enjoy it

But whats with this crazy 20 or 30 dollar price ? Is this a joke ? Devs like this dont help themselves at all with that sort of thing, ridiculous

13. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I guarantee you this is the situation. They are only making money from the freemium version. In order to keep a premium version on the AppStore, they have to charge exorbitantly for it so that people spending 30 bucks on IAP in the freemium version don't have a cheaper alternative. Hey it's better than no premium version at all, as long as this version is completely IAP-free. I wish more devs would offer expensive premium versions of apps.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah i getcha. Does kinda make sense but still seems a bit bizarre. As you say it must be making good money freemium but not the paid version.

Thats whats so crazy about freemium, people wait for sales when a games 2.99 or so as they dont want to fork out 2.99, but if a games free they then seem to spend a lot more on IAP's when a premium priced game of 2.99/3.99 (with no iaps) they seem to avoid. Bizarre

15. jForsythe

jForsythe Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    I see people saying this is around the $8 mark but for me it says $84.99 I take it this is a bug hopefully.
    As I came here to rag on it for costing so much.

16. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #136 VirtualBoyFreak, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    When it was released it was $7 approx. I bought it for that price, and it kept like that for a few days. Then a freemium version arrived (I guess because the premium version wasn't doing too well) and the pro version went to $85, Possibly to make the freemium version profitable. Since then, price of the Pro version goes up and down between $40 and $80. Check App Shopper history to see how it's evolved.

I still use it sometimes. It's nice to do the daily/hourly/weekly missions, and it's always enjoyable to have a fight or two in the game. I really wish it was updated with the cities of the original Payback, but I guess I'm out of luck here.

17. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Huge update released today! All the Payback 1 story mode + original cities added to Payback 2, and they are remastered! + new events +... Tons more. Just go check it if you like this game. It was a great surprise waking up this morning and seeing this update available :)

18. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

This game is legit

19. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Mmmm… yes.

20. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Confused, why is this 80 dollars in the AppStore?