fun simple match 3 game for my mom?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by bizzy511, Jul 11, 2013.

1. bizzy511

bizzy511 Active Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Hey guys,

My mom doesn't really get into the complicated games, and she likes to play the match 3 type games. Our options are limited because she is still using an older 3g model and I think her FW is on 4.1.

She likes candy crush, but i'd like to find her a game that is not hampered by IAP.

Any suggestions? In the past she has really enjoyed bejeweled (I think that the name) and rise of atlantis.

Thanks

2. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Scurvy Scallywags is great!

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Puzzlecraft

My mom enjoys the following games and types of games too:

Fruit Ninja
    Angry Birds games
    Word Search games
    Pinball Games

4. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Those mahjong match games are fairly uncomplicated.

Mahjong Artifacts 1 and 2 are fun.
    Mahjong Elements

Other match-3:
    Kitten Sanctuary
    Azkend
    Piyo Blocks 2
    7 Wonders

5. bizzy511

bizzy511 Active Member

Mar 30, 2012

I really enjoyed scurvy, and for me this is embarrassing to admit, but even that game is a little too much for my mom. She doesn't really get into the whole level up and fight enemies concept.

she is old school and never really played any games until I gave her my old phone.

6. bizzy511

bizzy511 Active Member

Mar 30, 2012
    man my mom really played the crap out of fruit ninja and angry birds. Seeing her play a game for the first time was funny as heck.

thanks for the suggestions.

7. bizzy511

bizzy511 Active Member

Mar 30, 2012
    I think she would really like those games, thanks so much for the recommendations.

8. phongtt

phongtt Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2012
    But PuzzleCraft has IAP, doesn't it?

Anyway, I'm playing Puzzle Craft and like it too :)

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It does, but the game isnt hampered by it. My wife finished the game without any IAPs.

10. pdSlooper

pdSlooper Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    USA
    I second Kitten Sanctuary. Puppy Sanctuary, too -- it has one IAP, that is to unlock the full game.

Continuing with the animal theme, Cat a Lot is an adorable Samegame clone, and IIRC, it's free.

Slice It! and Doodle Fit/Doodle Fit 2 are two games that are quite simple in concept and execution, but I got a lot of play out of both.

TinyTower and Pocket Frogs are classic. Donut Games's apps are pretty simple, too, although some more than others. I like Rat on a Snowboard and Ruberth. I hear Bubble Pig is quite popular.

She may like some of the more laid-back brickbreakers like Anodia, or even some of the challenging ones like Hyper Brick Turbo.

Some fun word games include Frankenword, Textropolis, and Ruzzle.

Also, some runners are good for simplicity. RobotUnicorn, for example (the first one).

11. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Match 3

Chop Sushi - it has a different mechanic, but is very fun to play.

Zookeeper - great match 3 classic

An easy game that my wife and son play for hours and hours is Popstar! By Brian Baek (many many imitators) there is a lite version she can try.

12. Denzalo

Denzalo Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Candy Crush Saga.

Seriously, my Mom plays it (She's 60) and can't get enough.

13. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Problem with Candy Crush Saga is IAP - very deceptive, and too easy to purchase without knowing. Would avoid this game. Also, be careful about people who are brand new recommending games that are very heavy with IAP - they may be shills looking to promote a game. Not trying to dis you Denzalo, but its awfully suspicious.

14. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    #14 Tannorexic, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
    Have you tried word games?

My mum is terrible with technology, but she absolutely loves playing word games on my iPad.

FREE:
    7 little words
    Frankenword
    Bookworm heroes

All 3 have very easy interface, easy navigation, etc..
    And you can play for free for a very long time...

Oh and try this:

Blendoku- free

It's basically sodoku puzzles, but instead with color.
    It's also free, and it is very easy to play, and very relaxing and zen like.

Puzzle retreat - Free

More color/ zen puzzle games (but aren't free)

Color zen
    Liquidsketch
    Zen bound 2
    Zen3
    Color bind
    Wriggle
    Puzzle restorer

Freemiums, but fun, and IAP not necessary

Draw mania (like draw something, but much less IAPy)
    Smarter than a 5th grader (online trivia against others, extremely addictive)
    Say what you see (you have to think about what the drawing represents, for example, a 50c piece would be 50 cent (the musician) there are tons of canvases all with different genres like 80s music, 90s films, board games etc..and you don't need to buy an IAP at all, I highly recommend this one actually! If she is into those sorts of things..

15. pdSlooper

Apr 13, 2013
    USA
    I forgot about 7 Little Words. They have a French and Spanish version, too, if your mom's multilingual. I've had a lot of fun with the English and Spanish ones.

Blendoku and Color Zen are indeed great games. So are the PathPix games by Kris Pixton.

16. bizzy511

bizzy511 Active Member

Mar 30, 2012
    yea my mom likes this game too, but you are right, it is filled with IAP.

17. bizzy511

bizzy511 Active Member

Mar 30, 2012
    I personally love word games, but English is not my moms first language. She can speak (decent), but her spelling in English is not the best.

18. bizzy511

bizzy511 Active Member

Mar 30, 2012
    dang...I messed up. I purchased the cat game, but I didn't fully read the description and it doesn't support 4.1.

My mom does not need data, so I unlocked my old 3gs (4.1) so she could use on tmobile (without a data plan). I guess it may be too late, since there are lots of games, but they all require a newer model phone or updated firmware.

19. pdSlooper

Apr 13, 2013
    USA
    Dang, sorry about the game not working. You should be able to get a refund though (think you can get about 1 a year). I've never done it so maybe someone else here can walk you through.

I know Ruzzle (Boggle clone) supports a ludicrous number of languages, but it's probably all Roman alphabet stuff. I think it's free with an ad removal IAP. But it might require newer iOS.

20. dojit

dojit Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Birmingham
    #20 dojit, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
    She should give Totally Milkshake a try, its a free game. Very simple and gives you ideas for fantastic tasting milkshakes too