Game Promotion in Non US markets

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by trex08, Jun 5, 2010.

1. trex08

trex08 Active Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Hey folks,

We are the cusp of our new game release and we were wondering as to different ways and things to do for game promotion, that is when the question arose that what are the different ways to promote in other non US/UK game markets (if there is a difference)

1) Are there any PR agencies who send press releases to popular iphone gaming forums in different countries across the world (language translation etc)?
    2) Any special Marketing efforts one can plan for specific countries (any experiences)?
    3) Which countries have major iPhone/iPod touch Presence apart from US/UK?

Cheers
    Trex
    ---------------------------------------------
    www.rolocule.com
    www.twitter.com/rolocule

2. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Japan's economy is apparently doing really well, so the exchange rate is much higher there then either the US or UK. Though it fluctuates from day to day, typically we earn around DOUBLE the profit in Japan vs the US even when selling equal numbers. Europe and UK have very low exchange rates right now, so you make around 25-40% less in those countries then the US.

In terms of numbers (in Japan), 35 overall game will get you around 100 copies a day, #4 got us around 500-600 copies sold per day, so you do have to be pretty high on the charts to see any real success compared to the US.

As for strategies, we translated the iTunes app description in both Germany and Japan and saw little to no result, so I would suggest not wasting time there, though it can't hurt to try if you have easy access to the language.

This is a good topic and I'm looking forward to hearing other suggestions ;)

3. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Does anyone know some of the biggest iPhone gaming sites outside of the US? How about in the UK and japan?

4. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Uk- Pocket Gamer ---> www.pocketgamer.co.uk

5. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Unknown reasons are you're best bet for promotion outside of the US!

So many devs have talked about this. For no known reason one of their apps does extremely well in a corner of the world where they least expect it. The app just hits a cord with the locals. No rhyme or rhythm, it happens uncontrollably and the dev can't figure out why. My Caveman Test did this in Italy and I still have no idea why it was so popular. I had two extremely nasty 1 star reviews that might have caused people to be curious and take a closer look.

So you might get lucky in an obscure country if a high school kid starts showing your app around the school yard.

6. trex08

trex08 Active Member

Jul 6, 2009
    What next?

I am assuming there are active forums for iPhone gaming in Non US/UK markets, I could see some forums for pirated games :( but, hopefully they have a TA in Japan/Germany/France as these are quite major non US/UK markets.
    Here is some data from firemint (which is more than a year old so might irrelevant to current scenarios) gives an idea of top 10 markets in terms of volumes sold for ~1 month of their game Flight Control.

Country Sales
    US 334,021
    GB 96,978
    DE 25,886
    CA 25,183
    FR 20,430
    JP 17,401
    AU 14,205
    IT 8,613
    NL 6,151
    ES 5,945

Source and detailed report: http://firemint.com/files/FlightControl-SalesNumbers.pdf

Does anyone have current data of no of units of iPhone/Ipod Touches apple has sold worldwide?
    So what next any ideas as to how to reach out to other markets?

Cheers
    Trex

---------------------------------------------------------
    www.rolocule.com
    www.twitter.com/rolocule

7. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Sucks, my app doesnt seem to be doing too good in any market. :(

8. schplurg

That's the only one I know of. I asked because Daredevil Dave suddenly shot up to #10 Top Paid and I can't figure out why. I'm very happy about it though, of course! Was very sudden so I thought maybe some website posted a big review or something.

9. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Did you sign up for Google Alerts? Definitely the best way to keep tabs on whats happening with your game on the web.

Note: get ready to be depressed by how many piracy websites pop up every day with a new cracked version of your game :/

10. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Just get on and get them taken down.

Ow. And congratulations, Dave (motorcycle game developer, I can't remember anything but that).

11. schplurg

Ya I don't care too much. I mean the percentage of jailbreakers is fairly small, and out of that group, the amount of people who would buy a game is probably even smaller. It just comes with the territory.

12. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ah, then the only way to play a pirated iphone game is to jailbreak your phone?

13. schplurg

Shhhhhhhhhh....! Yes

14. Subatomic Studios

Subatomic Studios New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    #14 Subatomic Studios, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
    PR: http://www.dystranslations.com/3/Press.html

Translations: http://www.dystranslations.com/3/Press.html

Germany
    France