Console quality experience

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Solidfart, Nov 23, 2012.

1. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Nope, got the game and its quite good but its short on content and high on pushy iaps so that alone would kill the classic console quality definition.

Then again a lot of folks define console quality by visual quality so if thats your thing then yes, it could be considered that.

P.S. I showed Bladeslinger yesterday to a non gamer friend and he said that the game looked as good as a ps3 game, so there's that.

2. I'm still waiting for someone to come post here and say that angry birds is better than any console game and so should be console worthy. Anyone?

3. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    Angry birds sure is pc worthy, like it is on chrome.

But in no way is angry birds console quality to be a full game. Maybe a mini game that is downloadable from the Xbox live marketplace.

4. Solidfart

Solidfart Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Absolutely not. Lol

5. mkpred

mkpred Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Working at Sites
    Cyber Town
    Yup angry birds is sold under mini games section on the playstation network.for $3.99 i suppose ,( well atleast when i got it )

6. Stranded87

Stranded87 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Ultimately not only are there no console quality experiences on iOS but there are unlikely to ever be. The latest hardware may well be up to the challenge (though that will likely change too once the next wave of consoles launches), but most iOS developers are small indie teams who don't have the money or time to craft a console quality experience.

Even the teams that are big enough probably wont because storage restrictions mean they'd be way bigger than most consumers would be happy with and because for it to be worth while they'd have to charge console game prices (or certainly close to), which would be such a culture shock that not enough people would probably buy them.

Right now the only way iOS is getting console quality games is if it's a port, they're certainly not getting exclusives of that caliber and so far I'm not aware of even any console quality ports.

This will only change if the whole culture of iOS gaming changes- if people accept $50 or $60 price tags and if Apple release larger capacity devices for lower prices (or add a micro SD card slot or similar), none of which is likely to happen.

But I'm not trying to be negative- as I said earlier in the thread console quality isn't everything. Games don't need amazing graphics, motion capture and full voice acting to be good. They just need imagination and a skilled hand, tbh iOS lacks a little for that too imo, with most of the best games still being ports of old PC and handheld stuff, but there's no reason developers couldn't be crafting original, high quality games.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Totally agree. I also love the indie part of it, it reminds me of the early 80's when a lot of 'bedroom coders' could create a game which is released and make money from it.

Theres the mainstream games made by the big companies such as Gameloft, but theres a lot of great little 'gems' made by smaller teams which also need our money badly (i like to support these games and buy them asap).

Like you say they dont need motion capture/voice acting, just need to be playable.

And for us oldies just having a port of some old classics i love in the palm of my hand is a dream. Back in the mid 90's i was playing Doom/Rise of the Triad/Duke Nukem, just having them available to me instantly is a dream.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Looks like i'm one of the 'stupid' ones then.

I use my ipod/ipad mostly for gaming (and reading /watching movies) but its mostly gaming. Why is that stupid in your narrow minded view ?

In an ideal world i would have a room where i can have consoles all over the place, leads all over the floor. But i have a young child who wants attention, wants to watch a few of her programmes, i have a wife who wants to watch her programs and i like to have the house tidy so i cant keep cables/consoles all over the place and i'm also often out going to different places with my family or out on work trips at clients or the office so having an ipod or ipad with me is handy.

With a young child shes #1 so i try to fit in gaming where and when i can, if shes asleep i can then have 30 or so minutes on my ipad/ipod. Theres no 'clutter' around, i can quickly save a game i'm into.

Why on earth is that 'stupid' in your view ? Its stupid you cant see past your narrow minded view. I dont want to set up some console or buy $40 i would hardly play, due to time now i'm very happy playing 'quicker/shorter' games on my ipad but there is actually a huge range of much larger games such as RPG's and the like.

You dont know peoples circumstances so please cut out the 'stupid' rubbish.

9. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree shortage of time is a thing, i usually spend 2 more hours in the commute in business day, my ipod touch is my mainly gaming console now.

10. DoctaMario

DoctaMario Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    #90 DoctaMario, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    Depends on what console we're comparing it to. I'd say we easily have SNES quality games on here, and thats not bad at all considering iOS isn't primarily a gaming platform.

I think you have to consider thr audience. The marketplace is dominated by folks who only really need, want, and/or have the attention span for games like Angry Birds. Folks who are receptive to more hardcore games are the minority on the iOS platform. That said, I'd like to see publishers start using the iOS platform as a way to take more risks. The overhead would probably be a lot lower.

And to be honest, the quality of modern console games isn't all that great compared to the last gen. A lot of newer games are just prettier versions of what's come before. As lame as I think Angry Birds is, those guys broke new ground in gaming which can't really said for whatever latest Call Of Duty game just came out.

But I can play great ports of games I love like King of Fighters, Street Fighter 4, Marvel vs Capcom 2, etc, iOs originals like Dark Nebula 2 and Heroes of O&C, and even have a few emulators with old school console and arcade games I dig, and I can take it all anywhere. So in a way, my iPhone IS the ultimate gaming console even though I have a PS3.

I have to say though, King Of Fighters-i 2012 is an amazing game and probably closest to console quality port of something this gen that I've seen on iOS.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Only resurrecting this thread because Modern Combat 4 is out and it was mentioned... the fact they actually have "console-quality graphics" plastered over the App Store screenshot is almost offensive. What console are they talking about, Dreamcast? I can see where they've tried to make the game look "high def", but I can also see that most of the graphical effects are cheap smoke and mirror tricks.

12. Exaggerating much? If its such a problem, simply don't get the game. If you already have it, suck it up.

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Didn't say it was a problem, I was participating in a discussion. I'm not getting the game.

14. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Dead trigger 2, ashphalt 8