Universal Puzzle Craft - (by Chillingo Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 15, 2012.

1. tripleeyedsnake

Aug 20, 2012
    You mean every single tile on the board should be pressed for two seconds? The only thing I can imagine that Ars is referring to is the hint that you get when holding down an element for a short time: you'll see how much you have to chain for a new fruit/animal.

2. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    ArsThanea: Thanks for replying to everyone's threads. I wanted to ask about a couple of UI improvements to really put that extra bit o' polish on the game. For example, when mining or farming, it's difficult to see some of the compound elements at the bottom when trying to see what combo makes what. When your finger is pressed down to see the combination illustration, it visually runs off the screen on the right side. Also, have you thought about making the tools area at the top a slider as opposed to moving through the tools with the arrows? It's sometimes tricky to select items. Anyways, thanks for listening. We're all looking forward to any planned updates. Thanks again.

3. tripleeyedsnake

Aug 20, 2012
    davidovich is right, a slider (endless circle) for the tools would be great.

Another issue I have with the UI is that when we run out of moves and the window appears asking us "do you want to save that field?" the amount of money we have in our pot can't be seen. For me it is important to know how many gold coins I have left before I decide to save a field or not.

Now that Monday is almost over in Europe: any news regarding the "no string" error? Was your team able to see into it?

4. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Are you serious. 39 pages of great comments and you still want someone to hold your hand? Just read!!

And it's only a bloody dollar!!

Live a little... Buy the damn thing! ;)

5. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Any news on the no string bugfix? I'd like to keep my save : )

6. numinous

numinous Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Game Impressions

Congratulations on creating a very well-polished crafting/match-3 game with a persistent meta-town to furnish with upgrades. At first blush, it felt abit like Triple Town, but with a persistent "outside world" that kept the matching part of the game from being endless/meaningless.

I am playing it on a 4th generation iPod Touch, and it does occasionally crash on start-up (during the loading screen). Either restarting my ipod or closing it from the dock and reopening it fixes that though.

I am at about Level 15 now, and I am kinda feeling like the game might reach an "end" to it, in terms of ones mastery of the resources and unlocking all of the buildings and maxing out the workers. I haven't bought any IAP and have built a "buffer" of about 2000 gold.

One idea I thought of, is to have a "challenge arena" building that is unlocked at a certain level or that you can craft/buy. This arena would have specific challenges you would have to complete to earn a reward. It would cost a certain amount of gold or resources to take on the challenge. This could also function as a "special event" like a "travelling caravan" or "merchant" who occasionally visits your town. Perhaps you could also "bet" or "gamble" some of your gold or resources for a bigger pay-off. Once the player has reached a certain level of mastery, i think this would keep the player coming back for more.

I think it's been discussed to have another crafting arena, besides farming and mining. That would really extend the playability too.

Maybe it has been asked already, but what were your inspirations for this game?

7. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Good suggestions, and to piggyback on this, I had actually thought if you could see the layout of the board (for mining in particular) when evaluating whether or not to continue, it would be helpful.

Love the slider suggestion. At the very least, it would be nice if it remember the position we were just at the moment before (when using rakes or fertilizer a lot).

8. tripleeyedsnake

Aug 20, 2012
    So let's suggest a transparent pop up window for "do you want to save." I think you are right, it always bothers me that I can't remember if the resources are in a good position to continue or if the field isn't worth saving it.

9. ArsThanea

ArsThanea Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 9, 2010
    www.atgames.pl
    Warsaw, Poland
    thanks for your feedback. We will keep it in mind.

tripleeyedsnake, killercow
    We've tried to repro it and it seems that it happen only on iOS 5.01 + if you are lack of free space on your device. I think we will be able to fix it, but unfortunatelly I wouldn't have high hopes that after update save is correct. I'ts not confirmed 100% yet. We are strugling with this issue. I will inform you if I'm sure.

Also I noticed that we are nominated for Game of the Week on this forum, so if any of you like Puzzle Craft please give us your vote. Thank you so much for support!
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=148535

Best
    Bartek

10. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#390 killercow, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
    That's weird, i am on the latest firmware with 4gb+ of free space... That's really a damn shame though, i was pretty far, reminds me of IB II and how my save game got deleted right after i finished the game. I couldn't do it again afterwards.

11. KushyKush

KushyKush Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I'm liking how this game is getting progressively deeper as I move on. In the beginning the match 3 games were so easy it was painful but now it's becoming a lot more fun with wolves, rats, gas, etc.

12. scubi

scubi Active Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Ideas?

The town building is fun but seems.... static.

How about adding Knights and Weapons to battle random monsters that attack the town? They would not destroy a building but possibly slow down the timer and cost money to fix (or slowly fix over time?).

Giants, cyclops, dragons, orcs, you name it could be random (or select-able) events that attack. Knights and other defenses would help protect against them and the longer you play the more difficult they become? You could have a day or two warning before they attack to allow you time to build up an army. Different units might be better against different monsters.
    Giants=Slow so cavalry might be strong against them.
    Dragons=flying so archers...
    etc. etc.

It might add another layer of fun to an already great game.

13. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I love the game as-is!!!

There are loads of battle and war games if you like that thing, PLEASE don't add attacks, my wife loves this too and battles would put us both off it. its GREAT as it is!

14. KushyKush

KushyKush Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Does the town expand as you build it up more? I could see it getting full pretty soon.

15. scubi

scubi Active Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I understand where you are coming from and I agree this is already a great game (I even said so in my post). I didn't mean to say they must make it an all out strategy game, I was talking defense in the most casual sense.

I think what this game does best is bring many casual type games into one and give them to us in a casual, fun, and stress free way.

I think the same could be done with the town. A very light attack defense mechanism with little or no commitment. Heck even an option to turn them on or off. Then, the battle buildings would just be for decoration or give you tools for mining or farming. Making it optional would make everyone (those for and against it) happy.

I imagine it something like this photo I threw together.
    *note: these images I added as from google and are not, in any way, owned by me. They are for sample purposes only.*

While I respect other's take on the game, making an optional mode where a "light" defense mechanism was employed could only add to this already wonderful game.

Attached Files:

16. Shabbis

Shabbis Member

Jul 1, 2009
    #396 Shabbis, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    On the next release please fix the following issues:

1. When you are collecting the tools icons that are released from the buildings, if you click on the farming or mining action icon, the tool icons disappear. Way too many times have I missed out on a bunch of scarecrow items because they are released right on top of the farming action icon and that icon is triggered and I lose the tools.

2. Experience a lot of random crashing on my iPad 1.

Questions:
    1. Are the houses upgradeable like the other buildings? Seems like once I build a cabin, I am stuck with it. I can build house/mansions, etc as new buildings that take up a new space, but I should be able to just replace the lower level houses with higher level ones.

Also, for future enhancements, maybe add more match 3 levels. Like maybe a hunting match 3 or battling neighboring towns match 3, etc...

17. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    1) You aren't losing anything. Any items on the ground are picked up for you if you press the farming or mining buttons.

2) have you tried rebooting your iPad?

18. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    No it doesn't. You have enough space to place every building and still have extra slots left.

Just completed the game, great ending! :D

19. tripleeyedsnake

Aug 20, 2012
    I like scubi's screenshot. Let me suggest another way of interaction and name the battling 'exploration' instead. It'll make it easier for the girls I know to stay with the game. Battling is a no-go. But how about sending out explorers off the map as seen in FF: My Life As A King? It would be something like this: you recruit explorers and can send them off town. No more maps and action needed, this all happens off the screen while you continue working in your city. All you need is a simple world map to set way points where players can send their explorers. Think of caves, hills, forests etc where you send recruited explorers. Those can fail, so you have to level them up to succeed in exploring and survive traps and dangers. Har d to describe if you haven't played MLAAK. You do nothing but send them out, the game mechanics do the rest. Later you see who comes back and what reward they bring or who didn't return. So instead of letting others attack your city you send out explorers.

20. Jcheckel

Jcheckel Active Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Don't know if this bug has been mentioned or not.

After you get the building that allows you to match 2 animals, it will pop up the no more moves unblock or use tool option even if there are two animals that can be matched. Also, the collect 1000 coins from taxes never popped for me even though I have 2290 in taxes.