Universal Super Monsters Ate My Condo! - (by adult swim)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hypostatic

hypostatic Member

Jan 25, 2011
    REALLY? A high score mode with IAPs?

Devs, if you're listening, please do the decent thing and create a non-IAP high score mode for online leader boards.

2. sortvind

sortvind Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    IAP to actually beat scores is a big let down.
    rather pay more for a full experience without it.

3. KingPluto

KingPluto New Member

Jun 5, 2011
    Re: 2 minutes ...

My longest game so far is 7min ... but my highest score (during test) was actually done in a game that only lasted 1min 59 (at which point I toppled the tower ... d'oh)

4. LordFerocious

LordFerocious Active Member

Sep 26, 2012
    I can totally understand apprehension about IAP in a high score chasing game and that it shouldn't be required to win as you just end up with people paying their way to victory. IAP is definitely not required to get the best score in Super MAMC. The only IAP available (for real money) is coin packs and coin doublers. You can quite happily earn the coins you need to buy the boosts you want by playing the game normally without spending any extra money. There's heaps of opportunities to earn coins by making condos, piggy bank condos, prize wheel, completing goals and sharing on facebook/twitter. Purchasing IAP will just earn you those coins a little faster.

5. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    No, depending on how much you're willing to spend it will earn you those coins a lot faster. And some people will be willing to spend a lot of real money. Again, much as I don't share the hardline views of some people on this forum as regards IAPs, I will agree on one thing: if you are making a game where you have in-app purchases which directly influence the player's score, you either make a separate league table for anyone who's bought those IAPs at all or you don't do online score tables, period. Is it a big deal? Christ, no: I still play and enjoy Subway Surfers and Triple Town. Is it fair? No. End of story. No argument permitted.

6. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    1.99 for the coin doubler? O wow... Anyone might wants to interest a bet in how long it'll take for this to go free? I'm really getting sick of the paidmium games :(

7. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    How do the powerups work? Do you unlock them with coins and can then use them freely? Do they level up with multiple purchases? Or are they one time use you have to pay with coins each time?

8. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    #49 Snozberry, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
    Money talks. Money always provides a better experience.
    Of course someone who pays $10 is going to have an advantage over someone that pays $1.. Otherwise who'd pay $10? It doesn't matter if butthurt "hardcore" iOS gamers think it isn't "fair".. Is it fair to complain about a 99c pricetag when devs have slaved around making a game for many months.. ? is it fair if the poor dev doesn't get to put food on the table because people gather their pitchforks over a friggin $2 IAP?
    Just buy the $2 IAP and pretend the game was $3. The 99c pricetag is just for the casual gamers who don't care about leader boards. If you want to compete, just spend a few more bucks and be done with it. Or simply don't buy the game.
    It's not like the people who buy IAP Have exclusive items, anyone can earn them themselves through the game, which is already much more generous than what other devs offer, and anyone has access to spend a few more bucks to support the devs.. It's not hundreds of dollars we're talking about here..its not like some exclusive offer for millionaires only, making it unfair to the poor pheasants who can't afford the extra few bucks.(but can afford a 1000$ phone)
    And lastly, why the hell are people so obsessed with leaderboards? Do you really have to be in the number one position to feel competent? Does it make your package feel larger? I really don't understand the retarded stampede that happens in every thread about IAP and leaderboards.
    Just beat your friends highscore if your a highscore junkie, trying to beat some random Asian who stays up 23 hours a day playing MAMC really isn't beneficial to you anyway. The Asian wouldn't even use IAP, it's just a fairytale to make one feel better about their own lack of #1 skill.

9. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Highscore games are about the highscore, it is as simple as that. You should be able to compete in a leveled field, not leave it to an equation of highscore = a*skill + (1-a)*moneyinvested

(yes the equation is innacurate, but you get the grasp of it... i hope)

10. W4TSON

W4TSON Member

May 9, 2012
    Customer Service
    Aloha, Or.
    I loved the first game! I will definitely be buying this as soon as it arrives.

11. NevEagleson

NevEagleson New Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Seriously guys - this game does have IAP, but it in no way affects your ability to get a high score. The only purchases you can make with real money is to get coins - which you can get by playing the game. Everything else is available to anyone without any money. Boosts, hats, and skipping goals all use the in game coins to purchase. Getting a high score requires skill, time and a bit of luck - not how deep your pockets are. Even if you spend a lot of money to get coins, you will still have to play the game in order to unlock all of the boosts which are used to get the high scores. All it will do is reduce the amount of time played overall to reach a high score, not how high that score is.

12. LordFerocious

LordFerocious Active Member

Sep 26, 2012
    There's a total of 10 boosts to unlock via completing goals in the game. Once you have unlocked a boost, it is unlocked forever. You start each play by selecting up to 3 boosts for that one game. The use of each boost costs a certain number of coins for that one game. Some boosts help you earn more coins, some make the game a little less frantic and others help to increase your score.

The boosts are priced so that you'll likely always be able to afford to use at least one or two a game, but you might need to save for a few rounds to use all 3 of your favourite boosts in one game (or of course purchase a coin pack with IAP).

Boosts don't "level up" with multiple purchases in any way.

For example one boost starts you with an extra 30 seconds on the clock, another starts the game with the x10 power up active for the first 20 seconds.

Half the fun in this game is creating a strategy that suits your play style with different combinations of boosts =)

13. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Its great to have new condos and new hats and the score multiplier, but still not getting hooked... somethings off.... The original MAMC is too good for me to not look at this with a microscope

14. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    To sum up in just a few words, we can grind. Eh...nah. Pass.

15. SwimCeej

SwimCeej Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I help make iOS games!
    Atlanta, GA
    Available now in the US store!

How far have you played? And what are your high scores lookin' like?

16. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I'm throbbing just thinking of it. MAMC, along with Reactable Mobile, is the app I show off to everyone who wants to play with my phone.

...though I have a feeling Pugs Luv Beats, which I just bought, will join that list.

17. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    #58 mkaen, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    delete

18. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    WOOHOO!! Just broke a billion! 6th on the board... =oP

Those first couple scores are already carazy!

19. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Music keeps turning off for me. Playing on iPad 2 running 4.3