Universal Dream Quest (by Peter M Whalen)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 14, 2014.

1. Ben!

Ben! Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    How many people force quit the app if you lose during a good run so you can try again? I started doing it recently and now I feel like every game I do well in is tainted.

2. Hpmor

Hpmor Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Yeah, I wish I hadn't found out about this - the temptation is really strong...

3. Wehrwolf

Wehrwolf Member

Jun 3, 2014
    They are tainted, but since you made the first post in over 3 weeks, you're forgiven. It was getting lonely in here.

4. Dymonic

Dymonic Active Member

May 8, 2014
    Come to r/dreamquestios

You wont be to lonly

5. thesteamboat

thesteamboat Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Apparently they've started up a weekly contest r/dreamquestios: last week was play as priest. This week is play as monk **with no actions**. Seems like an interesting challenge...

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Call me an old man, but until searching on "r/dreamquestios", I had no clue it was a reference to the reddit topic of Dream Quest iOS.

7. Hpmor

Hpmor Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Whoa an update is coming with seeded play - haven't played this for a while but sounds cool!!

8. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/34540/app-news-galaxy-trucker-gets-private-dream-quest-m

You might know Richard Garfield from hits like King of Tokyo or RoboRally, but you might not be aware of a rather obscure game that he designed back in the 90's called Magic: The Gathering. It's a card game or something. I don't remember as it really didn't catch on too much. That's not important, though. What is important is that Mr. Garfield has at least a little history with card games. Now, he has history with Dream Quest, a fun digital rogue-like deckbuilder that you might remember for having fantastic art.

Dream Quest doesn't look like a top notch game, but looks can be deceiving. Brad loved it and I know a lot of other people who think it's the bee's knees. Try it out and I think you'll agree that there is a ton of game in the Dream Quest package.

Pocket Tactics is now reporting that Richard Garfield has taken a liking to the game and offered developer Peter Whalen some helpful tips. Mainly, the idea of saving your runs in order to replay them or share them with friends.

When you play Dream Quest now, each run will generate a 20 character seed number that you can use to replay that exact dungeon, or to share it with friends and see if they can do better than you did.

On top of that, he added some new difficulty levels to make the game easier and a host of other bug fixes and updates. The update has just been submitted to Apple, so expect it within the next week or two.

You can pick up Dream Quest for $3 on the App Store.

9. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Hi all, I am a new player and wanna ask is the icloud broken with IOS8? Uploaded my game on IPAD but could never download it into my iphone.

I went into my icloud drive and didn't see Dream Quest listed like other games that made use of icloud.

10. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    I don't have multiple iOS devices so I'm not sure about this, but others seemed to have this problem too, maybe it has nothing to do with iOS8?

11. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    #611 mkaen, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    Edit: sync is fixed with the new update!

Now to figure out exactly what's different about the new easier default difficulty.

12. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    How's the update? I am hesitant to patch. I actually like the original difficulty setting. Not that I am that good at it, I lost often but when I ended up with a deck with 3 equipment slots filled with Deck of Wonders, I felt special.

13. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The original difficulty level remains, so update away :)

14. Ben!

Ben! Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I can't say specifically why yet, but the new default difficulty is definitely easier. And yeah, if you prefer the default it's still here (as the hardest of the three levels).

It looks like the exploit where you could quit a game after you lost and then get another shot has been patched, which I like.

15. Dymonic

Dymonic Active Member

May 8, 2014

If you get bored come over to r/dreamquestios

16. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    #616 Wisely, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    Update: Thanks for the quick update, crash issue fixed.

17. Ben!

Ben! Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    A friend of mine is having that exact issue and I haven't encountered it once in the update. Weird.

18. Tiberius

Tiberius New Member

Oct 14, 2014
    I have encountered the problem a number of times now. It seems to happen most frequently when killing a lower value monster after a higher value one [perhaps after reincarnating] - but that may just be coincidence.

The error text runs: "A fatal error has occurred. Debug information is at [location]. The current game is probably doomed..."

This never ever happened before the patch.

[Otherwise - AMAZING game]

19. Hpmor

Hpmor Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Hotfix is out for the crashes.

So default difficulty is easier, but how? You get more money and healing it seems, but the monsters behave the same? Can't put my fingers on it but it definitely is easier.

20. DezTheSpic

DezTheSpic Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2014
    I'm usually quite fussy with graphics but will give this a go due to all the positive reviews on here