Longest RPG on the iPhone?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by KushyKush, Aug 12, 2010.

1. KushyKush

KushyKush Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Chaos Rings looks great and it gets great reviews but 8-9 hours of gameplay isn't quite enough to warrant a $10 purchase even if it's on sale. I know it's silly because I spend that much every day on all the games I buy but still when I buy a big ticket game I want a LOT of gameplay.

What can you recommend as a big time sink RPG either turn based or action on the iPhone? WRPG or JRPG doesn't make a difference to me. The more gripping the story is, the better.

2. Stranded87

Stranded87 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    The Quest has about 30 hours of gameplay and when you factor in all the expansions your probably looking at around 200 hours. Easily the longest RPG on the Iphone, it's also quite deep in an old school sort of way. The story isn't that compelling though.

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Correct. Directly after this is Crimson Gem Saga with 50+ hours. Recommended.

4. Kai555

Kai555 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Student
    8-9 hours is only to finish 1 couple. You have to play all 4 couples to fully appreciate the story.

Total gameplay in Chaos rings should be around 30-40 hours.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    There's also The War of Eustrath and Shining Force, both SRPGs, both 20 hrs + (plus decent replay value).

6. KushyKush

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I can't get over The Quest's graphics and gameplay style. Really not my cup of tea. I downloaded War of Eustrath when it was free, it's decent.

I might have to check out crimson gem saga.

7. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    When was that ever free???

8. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    Only in his dreams :D

Appshopper:

The War of Eustrath HD:
    Jul 19 '10 Version 1.2
    Jun 20 '10 Version 1.01
    Jun 10 '10 $3.99 -> $7.99
    Jun 04 '10 New App: $3.99, v1.0

The War of Eustrath

Aug 02 '10 $2.99 -> $5.99
    Jul 28 '10 New App: $2.99, v1.0

9. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    If you truly mean that... you have to get Chaos Rings. Also, like someone else said you have to beat the game with each couple then something really cool happens and the whole story comes together; it's remarkable.

It takes about 20hrs to beat the game if you rush through it with everyone, and if you don't want to complete 104%. If you are a perfectionist def. close to 30hrs.

10. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008
    I think he means Battle for Wesnoth? JUst a guess :p

11. KushyKush

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #11 KushyKush, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
    my bad I got it confused with mecho wars, give me a break guys its 5:31 AM here :p

Right now it's a toss up between CR and Crimson Gem Saga

argh help me decide! will I want to keep playing either one after I finish the story? I'm also kind of working GTA: CW into this mix because in another thread someone said they played it for 100 hours. Basically I want the game that will last me the longest with a deep story.

I actually bought Battle for Wesnoth and it is great but that's a whole different topic lol

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #12 squarezero, Aug 12, 2010
    That's my guess, too. The War of Eustrath has never been free (legally, anyway).

Edit: Sorry, didn't see your correction. CGS is more the traditional JRPG, so there's plenty to do and explore besides the main quest. Chaos Rings is more focused by design.

GTA:CW is great, but it's story structure is very episodic and open, and it just didn't have much of a narrative drive for me.

Definitely look into WoE, though.

13. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008
    Well I own all of those games. GTA has the highest replay value because of it's sandbox gameplay. CR is on sale now for $10 for only two weeks then it will go back to $13. I haven't finished Crimson Gem Saga but so far I'm loving it. Maybe this will help you:

Crimson Gem Saga: Pro: Very old school style RPG fun characters and a great localization thanks to Atlus, also nostalgic graphics. Con: over 700MB uncompressed; currently has control issues (but an update has been submitted apparently. Since it's old school, there is nothing ground breaking it's just a very solid RPG.

Chaos Ring: Pro: Extremely deep story (only if you play everything through) Gorgeous Graphics and the controls are solid. Soundtrack is also a huge plus. Also the game is very portable friendly. Con: If you are an RPG expert the game is a bit on the easy side, but with a story that good... you'll want to play everything through again. I have played it through twice.

Grand Theft Auto CTW: Considered one of the most intricate and advance GTA games ever made (second to GTA IV). Takes the DS gameplay and mixes it with the PSP graphics (The best of two worlds). Amazing characters and a deep story. Cons: There really isn't any.

Hope that helps!

14. KushyKush

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #14 KushyKush, Aug 12, 2010
    Dammit Maythius this post is going to set me back $30. I hope you're happy.

edit: apparently GTA isn't in the app store anymore? Only the lite version?

15. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008
    sorry :p

16. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008
  17. KushyKush

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    weird that it wasn't showing up for me. I got the lite version earlier and it was awesome, a true throwback in terms of the isometric view which I enjoyed in a weird way.

I think Chaos Rings will be my other purchase. I got a $60 parking ticket today and after this it's making out to be an expensive day haha

18. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I think I'm really interested in Chaos Rings all of a sudden. I hope it's all right if I jump in on the "What should I get" train with you :p

Does Chaos Rings have an actual exploration mode? Where you can run around the world, inside buildings, etc.? I thought I heard it's just an arena game, and I hate arena games.

What got me interested is "if you're an RPG expert, it's a bit on the easy side". And I'm not an RPG expert, so... that easiness might be something of a positive for me :eek: Who knows :)

19. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    What sandbox gameplay? Kill walking people, drive stuff that are supposed to be cars but that requires a lot of imagination, take some cars (I don't call that steal), do some drive crash, harass some policemen. What else if you hadn't the missions and the main story, that aren't at all sandbox beside the few elements I quoted above. Did I haven't notice some subtle points of the sandox features?

No sandbox isn't enough to guaranty quality it depends what's behind.

I don't mean that GTA isn't good even if I didn't like the lite because of controls feeling. There's clearly missions, a story with some flesh, a high level of polishing and details, and more. But its sandbox gameplay is very very basic.

20. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I've never liked the GTA games for this reason. They are incredibly linear and have ten minutes' worth of novelty after the missions.