Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Urg I'm So mad the didn't bring over the UMD passport program or whatever its called. Theres so many games I want to go back and play but I don't feel like paying full retail price again... So dumb

2. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Sorry for the double post but everyone knows PSN is down today right?

3. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    Hope there's something big coming otherwise that would be beyond stupid, closing the entire network for a full-day maintenance on a weekend right after the launch of a new console.

4. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Oh poop :( just got a code or SuperStardust and wanna play! :(

5. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Go quick it starts at 12 EST!

6. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

strange, it still seems to be working for me (well I could go into the store, haven't checked anything else)

7. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    It starts in a half hour. Everything will be offline for mantienence

8. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Lol im in UK should get home in an hour-is that enough time? Lol

9. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Actually I think so I mis read apparently its noon pacific time so you should have a few hours

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #670 squarezero, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
    Man, I had just written a multi-paragraph assessment of my Vita experience so far and I lost it by mistake. So I guess here's a summary:

Vita: better than I expected; memory situation bogus -- hoping for a major price drop on 16 GB+

Rayman Origins: Gorgeous, but played only through the first couple of chapters

Uncharted: pretty but vapid, with shallow combat, linear "platforming," and Sci-Fi channel level action. Nowhere near the quality of its equally-priced console cousin, but still fun and somewhat engrossing (again, like a SciFi channel original). Aiming kind of sucks -- Modern Combat feels more precise. Touchscreen mini-games are kind of embarrasing, especially compared to those of games like GTA:Chinatown Wars. Still, the game is damn gorgeous, though would have sacrificed some of the eye candy for a more consistent framerate and not-dumb-as-bricks AI.

Demos of Unit 13 and Katamari: not impressed.

All in all, much prefer the Vita at launch over the 3DS (which I sold back to GameStop). Nevertheless, even after spending over $100 in software (including re-purchasing Legend of Heroes), the best game I bought last week is still Incoboto ($2.99). Looking forward to Gravity Rush in June. I hope that we start seeing some major RPGs soon, but not holding my breath. Ni No Kuni would be a dream come true.

11. matthewwhatever

matthewwhatever Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2010
    government
    Ottawa, Canada
    If the PSP is anything to go by, I'd be shocked if the Vita wasn't swimming in RPGs within a year or two. For that matter, if you go by backwards compatibility, it's swimming in them now: Ys Seven, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Ys: The Oath in Felghana, Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together...it's a pretty long list.

Even if not, there's a new Resistance title (Burning Skies) coming in May, and also a Vita version of Little Big Planet sometime in the next few months. As for Killzone, no idea, but they're announcing the second wave of titles in a couple of days!

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I've played/owned a lot of those already, and I am not interested in repurchasing them (picked up Legend of Heroes because I didn't have a chance to beat it before I sold my PSP). I'm talking about new RPGs that take advantage of the hardware to deliver more open-world experiences. Unfortunately, given the utterly lackluster sales of the Vita in Japan, we may in fact not see much coming from that market.

I could dig a new Resistance title (I thought the previous PSP title was a decent game ruined by the single-stick shooting mechanics). Frankly, though, I would much rather see something along the line of Daxter. I'm looking forward to the second-wave announcement.

13. We should see some more RPGs at the Game Heaven broadcast. So far, we already have indications of Persona 4, Trails of Zero Evolution (new Legend of Heroes), Phantasy Star, and Super Robot Wars being shown on Friday. I'd imagine there will be a few surprises too.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Already knew about Persona 4 (yeah!) and Legend of Heroes 2 is pretty much a no-brainer. Unfortunately I hated the last Phantasy Star, so that's a no-go for me.

I guess what I would love to see is an RPG that involved real exploration, not traveling between nodes or in a boring/empty overworld. Doesn't have to be a western RPG like Skyrm -- something like Demon Souls (with a stronger RPG component) or, from what I've read, Xenoblade would do. Most PSP RPGs have felt cramped and linear to me. With the more powerful hardware I would love to see things open up.

15. Gravity Rush is open-world, although that's more of an adventure game with RPG elements. I'm not a huge fan of WRPGs, but something similar to Demon's Souls would be a nice addition to the Vita's library of games.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Gravity Rush is already preordered :).

17. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011

Loving Final Fantasy Tactics but how do i get some new classes? Is there more than the initial 4 or so?

18. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    By getting other jobs to higher levels. Here's a job tree that helped me out.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/937312-final-fantasy-tactics-the-war-of-the-lions/faqs/50312

For a lot of the jobs you need more than 1 requirement. For example, the Ninja requires that you need to level up thief to level 5, archer to level 4, and geomancer to level 2. "M" means you have to learn every single skill that goes with the job.

19. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Wow thanks alot Mystik!

20. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    No problem :p