Universal [Soft Launch - NZ/AU] Board of Boxes: Novation (by George Novozhenin)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by GeorgeNov, Apr 14, 2015.

1. GeorgeNov

GeorgeNov Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Developer
    #1 GeorgeNov, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Board of Boxes: Novation

Egor Novozhenin
    Genres: Games Board Puzzle Entertainment
    Free ​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Supported Devices:
    • iPodTouchFourthGen
    • iPhone5c
    • iPadThirdGen
    • iPodTouchFifthGen
    • iPhone5s
    • iPadMini4G
    • iPad23G
    • iPhone-3GS
    • iPad2Wifi
    • iPhone6Plus
    • iPhone4
    • iPhone6
    • iPhone5
    • iPadThirdGen4G
    • iPhone4S
    • iPadFourthGen4G
    • iPadMini
    • iPadFourthGen
    Minimum iOS Version: iOS 6.0

Download Size: 8.7MB

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

2. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    I hope the soft launch period is short! This looks like just the sort of game I like.

3. GeorgeNov

GeorgeNov Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Developer
    Thank you, I will try to make it as soon as I can. Just need to add some levels and refinements.

4. Valentia

Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    Very cool, thanks for responding. :)

5. GeorgeNov

GeorgeNov Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Developer
    If you have any questions just ask me:)

6. Valentia

Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    #6 Valentia, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    Thank you for giving me the opportunity to test this.

I think it's great. I played the first 32 levels of the puzzle section last night after I got it, and I got up at 5 a.m. and started playing it again. I usually like to read in the mornings, but I really wanted to play this some more--now that's a good puzzle game!

The things I really like:

First off, it's clever. I like "push blocks around a board" games a lot, and have quite a few of them, but this doesn't feel like just more of the same. Having to maneuver two blocks at a time, at all times, really makes it interesting. And needing to do it within a certain number of movements is a good challenge.

I love that there's no time limit on the puzzles. I like to consider possibilities and enjoy taking time and relaxing with a puzzle.

The tutorial was very easy to understand. The puzzle levels start out easy and increase in difficulty slowly. I like this because it makes me feel comfortable in the progression. By the time the 4-move puzzles started I had gotten used to "thinking in pairs" and felt confident that I could enjoyably handle them. I like that a lot more than when a game's difficulty increases very quickly--that can just be frustrating to me. And there are many levels, all nicely categorized by board size and then difficulty, so someone who likes a faster progression of difficulty can go for the larger, harder puzzles if they like.

There is Game Center integration, and a multi-player option. I know that's something that increases a game's appeal to a lot of people. I have not checked out multiplayer yet. I will eventually, but right now I am all about the puzzles. :)

I've used the hint system a couple of times. It's nice that it will show you step by step what to do if you want that. I've just looked at the first move on a couple of levels and then hit the reset button to solve it on my own after seeing how to start. I notice that you can replay the hint for a level (without having to use up a new hint) even after you've restarted that level--I think that is great.

I like that the puzzles have an incremental undo button as well as a reset button.

The graphics are nice--crisp, clean, and attractive. That's always very important to me.

I was right when I first read about the game--it really is exactly the sort of game I love.

I've only addressed the puzzles section so far because that's where I've been spending all my time. I have played a few Points section games, and I am very intrigued and will comment about that aspect another time. I think it's great that you included modes that will appeal to solitary puzzlers like me AND gamers who like a competition. Clearly, a lot of thought and a lot of work went into this game.

Suggestions: I might have some eventually, but I can't think of anything at the moment. Oh, maybe include color theme choices in a future version? Like background skins? I know I'd be happy to purchase the ability to change the background to suit my mood at any particular time.

Well, that's it for now. The puzzles are calling me back to play now. :)

7. GeorgeNov

GeorgeNov Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Developer
    #7 GeorgeNov, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    You can't imagine how I appreciate your help! You have done a very clever and deep review of the game!

Having read that I come to some questions I want to ask you.
    The hint. I can make the hint system stops after the showed move is done by a player. After that player can touch the button to continue showing next hint move or just play and try to find solution. How do you think, would it be better experience?

What do you think about music in the game? Do you just mute it right after game started or not? I didn’t place the background music during gameplay sessions since I thought it would distract the player. But I can be wrong, maybe I should put some music?

Have you seen the levels map in each pack, did you understand how to find it?
    Did you like the pack select scene?
    You notice that in every pack you should go with every level in sequence. One after another. But I can open some packs so player can choose any level he would like to play without playing sequentially. And is there a huge difference how level packs are situated? Because I think that the second and third packs could be a little hard for beginners so I could place a little easier pack after the first one.

Thank you for testing my game and answering my questions!

8. Valentia

Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    #8 Valentia, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015

I like the idea you have of modifying the hint system. I think what you mentioned would contribute to the game being even more elegant.

Music: I might not be the right one to ask about game music! With only a very few exceptions, I generally dislike game music very much. I find almost all of it awful. As long as I can turn it off, though, it's ok. What I really like is to hear game related sounds when I'm playing, and listen to my own music. That's the best, for me!

Yes, I understood about the level maps right away. I love how we can tap the larger image and go straight to the level we've been attempting, or select a different level from the pack selection section below. That whole page is pretty, too. I love the colors.

I also really like that ripple effect on the opening scene. Concentric rings are pretty! In fact, I'd love to see them on the pack select scene, too!

I would love for some packs to be open so one can play non-sequentially! Sometimes you just can't get a puzzle and you get a little frustrated when you can't move on. I've found that when you CAN move on, you can come back to the skipped level later, and it very often is accomplished with ease. So, yes, that would be great. EDIT: You know, making non-sequential level play as an IAP would be fine, I think. I think reasonable IAPs are perfectly acceptable for non-consumables. Paywalls and timers I hate, but am perfectly happy to pay for no ads or for sequential play.

I've only completed the first pack and half of the second, so I don't know how quickly the difficulty ramps up in the later levels. However, if you think adding another easier pack is a good idea, it's often wise to listen to yourself. :) It certainly cannot hurt! I know you need to strike a careful balance in order to neither bore experienced puzzlers, nor to frustrate inexperienced players. That must be hard! I do like the idea of adding in one more easier pack the more I think about it.

What do you think of adding some achievements for Game Center? I never really care about the leader boards, but I absolutely love it when I have achievements to attempt! I think that is very fun.

I'm just having so much fun playing this game! :)

9. GeorgeNov

GeorgeNov Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Developer
    #9 GeorgeNov, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    Great to hear thoughts from you! Thank you very much. I take under consideration all the things you said.

Now I am going to change my map structure from what you have seen(a path structure) to low/column table structure. I think it would be better and more clear to see which levels you’ve solved and choose a right one.

Also I need to integrated some sort of shop. What would you think about that? The place where players could buy more hints, packs, themes, whatever I put there. And how do you like the idea of putting paid packs in the game?

My level packs contain 50 levels each. And I have one of 100 levels. 50 doesn't seem to be very few for a pack, does it? Or it's normal for your pace? When I was designing that I came to a thought that 150 levels would take too much time to solve and complete a pack, so I decided to go with 50.

When your are leaving the level scene you go back to the pack selection. But I can change it to going back to levels map scene. Not sure about that.

As for achievements. I have already thought about that. I can integrate them through Game Center. But they will be like «You have passed 25(75, 175, 325) levels», «You have completed the 1(2,3,4,5,6,7,8) pack».

By the way, about making non-sequential level play as an IAP. Should I pay for each pack if I want to unlock levels in it or I just pay once and get that feature for all the packs I have? I am not very greedy, but here is the thing of a balance. I am afraid that players could lose interest in case of opening all. On the other hand users can get frustrated of the monetization.

Thank you very much for you time, for you thoughts, answering my questions and playing my game! I am so much glad you like it!