Need recommendation for iPhone games like The Jim and Frank Mysteries

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by y2kmp3, Jul 29, 2010.

1. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I have been playing on & off The Jim and Frank Mysteries – The Blood River Files on the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, and I have found the game to be quite charming.

It is a great Professor Layton clone.

I like to get other games that are like this. Can you please post your recommendations here? I looked through both iTunes and Chillingo catalogs but my search skills are too poor to be useful. :(

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

There really isn't, that's why Jim and Frank's release was such a big deal. :)

3. iSwiss

iSwiss Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Simon graham my dear;-)

4. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out.

Is there some consensus judgment on "how big" a particular game release is? To be honest, I learned about this game from a message on this forum, but I have little knowledge of "how big" this release was supposed to be. What made this such a "big deal"? Is there a list of these most wanted games somewhere? I found the iTunes recommendations to be terrible. It will be great if you can share your list so I can benefit from these recommendations too. :) :)

5. WingedDevil

WingedDevil Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Luxembourg
    Try Azada, it has a good story and a lot of puzzles ;)

6. ManofAegis

ManofAegis Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    California, USA
    There's a game called Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent by Telltale games that is supposed to be released soon for iPhone and iPad. It was supposed to be released by now, but I guess the developers have been taking their time on it. :confused:

7. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I love Puzzle Agent! I bought it for the PC and finished it. Yes, that is the type of the games I am looking for on the App Store. There are plenty of hidden object games, but they are not the type like The Jim and Frank Mysteries or Professor Layton.

8. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #8 Cilo, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
    Mystery Mania and Nick Chase had puzzles and interesting plots, ever tried em?

Edit: Don't bother with Nick Chase, looks like they abandoned updates and it's not compatible with iOS 4. Was a cool adventure though.

I can't wait till Puzzle Agent is out, looks good.

9. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I have heard that "Simon Graham and the Extraordinary Timepiece, Book I" is a game in the same vein. It has a Lite, too. I didn't try it yet, though - too many games, too little time...

10. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    There are the two Laura Jones games, in no way they can compare to JFM but their puzzles aren't classical puzzles you could have already played (particularly for those having already played Prof Layton games). Also the story is less kiddish but less developed, it's still a fair part of the enjoyment.

Both aren't pure hidden object games and are much more than that and a lot more fun than pure hidden object adventure game. There's some hidden objects, some search difference, but there's also an inventory with items to pick and make interact with other.

Another difference is that puzzle are really merged in the adventure. And also all puzzles have a logic, for example a search difference has a reason and a thematic, or a find item has some logic and is often merged with inventory and objects interaction mechanism making the puzzle a lot more fun than a pure find item game.

11. jeb ory

jeb ory Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
    CEO of The App House
    Chicago
    Simon Graham...

You should try it! All unique puzzles and storyline.

12. 99Games

99Games Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    New Udupi, India
    Hi guys! An update of Jim and Frank Mysteries will be out on the App Store soon with 5 new bonus puzzles and the ability to listen to your iTunes playlist while playing the game. We've also updated few of the puzzle descriptions based on user feedback. :)

Until then, don't forget to participate in our contests to win iTunes Gift card and promocodes of the game!