iPad Dungeon Raid (by Fireflame Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by freedog, Nov 15, 2010.

1. chuboi

chuboi Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    mmm very addicting game. the rpg aspect really gives this game legs, nice work devs! one question and one suggestion:

often in the late game even though i have a lot of shields, the skulls bypass this and do a ton of damage to me. is this a pierce ability they have? this really needs to shown on the skull otherwise it just feels random when i die.

please move the special skull text down further. yes i could move my finger a bit to see, but good UI should not make me put in the effort.

overall great job and keep up the great work! :D:D:D

2. King Muumuu

King Muumuu Active Member

May 4, 2011
    #1782 King Muumuu, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
    I have been sprucing up the Dungeon Raid Wiki the past few days, adding the missing skull types and creating pages for every class. I also had the same question as you, so I e-mailed the developer (very nice guy btw) who kindly explained me all about it, thus I could write the article below. If you still don't understand just tell me and I'll make it more clear somehow :)

http://dungeonraid.wikia.com/wiki/Armour

3. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Yeah, I have come to understand this too. This also means, when you have 90% durability, as long as you repair your armor every 5th turn (e.g., when Boost Armor recharges), your armor will never be more than 50% damaged and so you'll never need more than 50% of your current armor in repair points to repair it with a single shield.

4. fireflame

fireflame Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2010
    David's right, the tile bonuses actually create 1 more tile (i.e. if you collect a coin and get a bonus coin, it's the same as collecting 2 coins, rather than one coin worth double points), which in the shields case will go either to fixing up armour or adding upgrade points

5. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Thanks for clearing that up! Makes sense.

Also nice update there! I like the small tweaks to the specials and it's always good to squash some bugs.

6. Buttons

Buttons Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Not sure that's the relevant comparison, since you can't increase weapon damage when leveling up. (The +DMG from a level-up increases base damage, not weapon damage.)

I guess the question with +DEF is whether filling your armor with one shield versus three is worth passing up all the +DMG to do so. If your maximum armor is, say, 75, that's 50 points of base damage you passed up for a pretty minimal improvement in +UP efficiency.

7. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    Something confuses me though about how bonus works.

Earlier I was playing a halfling raider in dungeon sprint. I should be getting 100% bonus any time I have a chain 10+. So I was making chains that were well over 10 and it was saying things like bonus points of less than 10. Bug?

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Ohh, I get this!

Remember bonus pieces only kick in at 4+ pieces, so even if the chance of the bonus pieces is 100%, the first 3 still won't ever be eligible for bonus pieces.

9. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Awkward question - why should I upgrade from the free version???

I'm not asking as a troll - just the opposite!!! My kids and I are really enjoying the trial version!!!

But what's in the paid version to justify paying for?

And to the dev - if you have many people not converting from free to paid versions, my question is designed to help you learn why :)

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    A fair question as it looks like you're getting a fairly complete game in the lite, but it appears to be based on the v1.0 of the game as the full version adds:

★ 10 character classes to unlock & customize (not to mention their 10 associated races as well as the 20 perks & flaws this system introduces).
    ★ 2 challenge modes (in addition to the 4 difficulty levels).
    ★ 77 achievements to unlock (mainly related to the character classes).
    ★ 40 diverse abilities to help you and hinder your enemies (10 more than trial).

The big draw is the new class/race system that allows you to really customize your play experience!

Each of these classes comes with its own perk, flaw, race (which gives you some additional special passive bonus but in turn comes with it's own unique mortal enemy), and its own set of skills to choose from when leveling up.

The game, at least at this point, only has 40 skills total, but, depending on the class you choose, you will be restricted to a selection of 20 of those skills which includes a skill unique to that class. While having less to choose from might sound like a bit of a disadvantage, it actually is kind of a good thing as it means you'll have more control of which skills randomly come up.

You don't get all 10 classes right off, you'll need to unlock them via continued play. Not only are there then the 9 classes to unlock (you at least get to start with the Adventurer right off the bat), each of those additional 9 classes have 10 levels (not to be confused with your character level when playing a game of Dungeon Raid). When you first unlock a class you need to play it as is (the race, skills, perk and flaw are all locked) but as you level that character class the more you can customize that class (changing the 20 default skills, perks, flaws, and even race) for future runs.

11. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Lordgek -

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and thorough reply. I'm a casual gamer, as far as rpg's go, I played d&d a bit back in the day but never got, or wanted to get, deep into it.

To the dev: The idea of 40+ classess etc is more complexity than i want. I am resisting buying as buying would *force*? me to deal with complexity that is thankfully(?) not present in the trial version.

It's possible I've got all of this wrong - but from the marketing messages and the gameplay of the trial version, it feels like I (and many others?) are better off with the free version.

12. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    I had thought of that. I made a chain of 18 coins and only received 9 bonus points though. So something is still wrong.

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Sure, is the trail version unlimited or does it have some sort of level cap in there?

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Oh...than this is weird and probably a bug.

15. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Three points:
    1.) The added classes and races do not add any complexity, they just add flexibility. They serve to open up strategic possibilities in the game and to provide a carrot on a stick. They really do make the game more fun.
    2.) You don't have to play those classes if you do not wish to. So if you wish to support the developer and give him reason to make more games or to continue to make this one better than there really is no reason not to.
    3.) To each his own, but personally I feel the developers who make decent games deserve some compensation. That being said he does offer a free version and if you enjoy that and do not wish to spend money to support the game, then that is ultimately your decision.

16. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    I've not encountered a cap or limit, then again perhaps I've not progressed far enough.

And I'm all for helping good developers - that is part of my motivation in asking. Perhaps the trial version is giving away too much?

17. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Yeah, I said this slightly wrong, but my point was that if I'm playing an upgrade-heavy strategy, and I'm up to 100+ damage per sword, then adding some extra base damage seems pretty insignificant. Of course, you can argue that repair points are also pretty insignificant, and on doing the math I do think I should probably put an even lower priority on repair than I already have been doing.

18. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Frankly, I think you're right. Right now, I'd recommend the free version to most people, at least unless you really get into the game and then get really excited about additional features.

He seems to have lots of plans to add more features to the full version, though.

19. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    I'd say the best argument for buying the game is that you would feel the money was very well spent. There are many worse things (and games) you could spend $2.99 on. If you hang around the boards a bit, you'll see how active and responsive the developer is. That's what sold me (...along with the super-positive reviews and testimonies).

20. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    I think this came up before, and the answer was every item over 10 gets the bonus. So items 1-3 have no bonus, items 4-9 have normal bonus chance, and 10-x are all at automatic bonus. In the case of skulls with bonus xp, it makes it important to chain swords first, then skulls later, when possible.