About to launch a game... any advice?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by AlexProbst, Jan 17, 2014.

1. AlexProbst

AlexProbst Member

Hi! Me (designer) and my friend (Programer) are about to launch a kickstarter to raise money for a marketing campaign for the puzzle game we are doing.

So I come here in all humility to ask everyone for tips, advice.. anything.

I'm not looking only to get game developers opinions, I want gamers too.. so everyone is welcome to spit it out..

Thanks a lot guys!

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Hard to give any useful advice without seeing the game other than keep your expectations super low.

3. binaryhelix

binaryhelix Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Best advice: don't launch on mobile. Kickstarter works better for PC games. Aside from the ridiculous competition on iOS and Android, mobile games typically don't cost that much after you launch, so it's a harder case to make on Kickstarter.

We're going to launch a Kickstarter for an updated and enhanced version of our flagship title, but it'll probably be desktop-only unless a stretch goal is reached or the fans truly clamor for it.

As for general Kickstarter tips:
    - Build up your community first (Facebook or Twitter). The larger your following, the much greater the likelihood of success
    - Kickstarter is more of a funding vehicle for almost finished games, or those who can make some snazzy demos. Sad but true. Game ideas alone rarely ever get funded.
    - Make the video as polished as you can, and generally no more than a minute long. And grab their attention within the first 5-15 seconds.

We're way behind on social media, so our hope is with the game's features and video when we launch.

4. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    The way I get aware of an upcoming game of from the upcoming games forum right here on toucharcade.

5. AlexProbst

AlexProbst Member

Colorino

We went to kickstarter not to fund the game it self but to get money for marketing, We'll see how it goes, the game will be launched anyway.
    This is a trailer - tutorial I did for it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYGie0_VgJ4

Let me know what you think!
    Thanks all for the replies!

6. Games TV

Games TV Member

Nov 26, 2013
    I like it, basic concept, which is what makes people play and play again.
    I also think the trailer is a good way to show there's more behind the simple concept.

7. AlexProbst

AlexProbst Member

Thanks! really appreciate it dude!

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    That was a really really well made trailer, made better by the fact that the game looks super awesome!

9. AlexProbst

AlexProbst Member

wow! THANKS dude, thanks for the words, I'm glad you think that!

10. RetroCrumpet

RetroCrumpet Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Dundee
    Hey Alex,

I've done a little digging into this myself recently, it's not a route we're going down but I was really interested in the process. The best advice I can give with my limited experience on the service is to find quality benchmarks. Find those products, NOT limited to games, that have done well and use that as a starting block to build on.

You'll need to do a lot of unique activities to build your own identity, but a lot of the groundwork has been done by those out there already.

11. BlindAlbino

BlindAlbino Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I am Co-Founder and Art Director for Blind Albino,
    La Habra Hights, California
    Very classy trailer for a very stylish game! I would imagine there's much potential here my friend.