New Membership Title

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Kris Jones, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    I think that arn, or anyone with master power over the forums, should implement a new series of member titles.

Right now we have Junior Member, Member, and Senior Member.

But everyone knows that a good set of hierarchy makes things much more interesting, so her is my thought on the new titles, starting from newest to oldest member.

1. Junior Member = Initiate
    2. Member = ?
    3. Senior Member = Master Member
    4. Moderator = Overseer

Feel free to add your own on what you think. We are all pretty much gamers here. Why not show that even more?

2. MattH

MattH Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2009
    i think we should have developers with a "developer" title.

3. Marioman619

Marioman619 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    +1
    Definitely agree

4. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I like the names idea. How about this:

Junior member - Lite Version
    Member - Bargain Title
    Senior Member - Premium Title
    Developer

:D

5. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    no
    get rid of it all together

seriously
    spammers trying to become the next greatest title
    no one gives a **** about how many posts you have
    other then danny of course.
    who with me?
    scratch post counts forever!!

6. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    You probably don't get this too often, but I'm gonna agree with you. :)

Do we really need more spamming so people can get to post 100, then 500 then 1000?
    Do we need a "developer" title? I personally don't think so.
    With all due respect, who cares if you're a developer, and who cares if you have 1000 posts. None of it makes your post more worth while than someone who only has 100 or isn't a developer.
    It's the quality, not the quantity.

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Gah, I couldn't agree more about ditching titles all together. I'm sure you guys know as well as I do how annoying it is to see people try to post with some kind of superiority over someone else because they're a "Senior Member".

Congratulations, you spammed a Pocket God thread for a few days, as a Senior Member you're a true asset to the community! ;)

Post counts are meaningless, like most things in life... Go for quality not quantity!

8. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    +1. Although I do think the Moderator title is necessary, and the Developer title would be nice as well just so people can tell.

9. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Moderator title I agree is quite necessary.

Just my 2 cents, but as for the developer title, just indicate the app you've developed in your signature, along with the link to the app, and it's pretty much self explanatory that you're the developer...
    Why does a developer need a title? They're the same forum member as everyone else with the same powers.
    Only mods have power here so that's why only they should have a title.

10. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I posted this in another thread from last week about titles which I think is worthy of a repost:

Just throwing this out there, but how about we just get rid of the entire ranking system? I could care less if you've been here since the early days or have 2000 posts, and my guess is most people don't either. I come here because I enjoy talking about games, sharing ideas, and hearing what others have to offer. From what I can tell, this is becoming more complicated than it needs to be.

This forum is about games which are supposed to be fun, but honestly, there are times I think people take themselves way too seriously whether it's attacking newcomers or just being straight up bullies who think their view is more important than others.

In some ways, not having a ranking system is probably better than having any ranking system at all. If you're going to have one, then I think it goes back to why you need one and what do you hope to accomplish with one.

11. taran420

taran420 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Moderator titles are used to distinguish between a staff and regular members, not everyone can have a mod title, and it comes with several privelages which, im sure, arn wouldnt want some of you to have

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Mostly just a ton of email as people incessantly report posts. ;)

13. taran420

taran420 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    hahaha, well thats part of it along with a ton of PM's. it comes with some other cool perks, im a super mod at a sat site

14. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Damn IBITF Im with you! ;)
    Friend...? :D

15. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I forgot about the Pocket God threads. Each of them there gets like 500 + posts from the same 10 people. It's spawning senior members who are still babies. I like the idea of not showing your post count, etc. Maybe arn could get a setting to show whether you want it showing or not.

16. crimson.

crimson. Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    I don't see the point of post counts or member titles (except mods/admins). It's not like we get extra features for becoming a senior member or anything like that. They're pretty useless IMO. It seems to me that this gives people the insentive to spam their way to 100 posts just so they can say "Hey you junior member, respect me cuz I'm a senior!"

Just my $0.02.

17. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Yeah, it's becoming a problem. Usually, though, the spammers get bored and just kinda die off. Of course, new ones come to take their place. Maybe it'll slow down eventually? ... yeah, if the site starts picking up more traffic (which is important), then probably not.

But we sincere-contributing members know each other :p

18. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #18 Coldar, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
    I'd expect to see more traffic whenever/if there's a price discount on the Touch/iPhone or the release of the new ones later. Then we'll see a lot more. I'd already posted my viewpoints on the other thread and won't go back into it. But can't help but noticed more/more newbies wanting that high post count (like it really means something) and spam the crap out of these threads that some aren't even worth reading imo. I can pick out the spammers fairly quickly when reading from thread to thread by the way they bounce around with little value/quailty contributing to the initial thread but some are pretty savvy at faking their posts to think its of worth but I'm pretty good at reading between the lines (no pun intended) to see where their coming from and what they want to accomplish (more post counts). Oh and I'm sure there are a few who just like to talk like its instant messaging (such as I at times) and post counts are not on their agenda and understand this because it is after all a forum and games are the discussion.

Sorry to get waaaay of subject but my mind does wander when writting........oh and I needed a good reason to fake a post to get that HIGH post count.(for those who don't know wit......that was it)! It's almost like a game of who can get the highest post count. Wouldn't be surprised if a dev makes a game from it.

And just who IS this guy I'm quoting anyway?................j/k
    (regarding your last sentence)

19. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Wow, the king of spammers complaining about spamming? How ironic.

20. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    You know, I see very few people with a join date that goes back to the middle of last year (like Rocketmans does) than I used to when I joined in Dec. They've posted less till I haven't seen but only a few.........where'd they all go?........back to their consoles...heh. Most TA members I seen have beginning joining post dates from the new year and on. Even my join up date is considered "older" now without many previously fellow TA members posting with even older join date to make me look like a newbie.
    Sorry to get off subject but Rocketman's post got me wondering again about this.