Universal Super Monsters Ate My Condo! - (by adult swim)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 26, 2012.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Loved the first game so definately putting this down for tonight, but am a little concerned about how the 2-minute mode will play.

2. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Sounds really good! Although I wish a mode like the original comes someday too to Super M.A.M.C.

3. SwimCeej

SwimCeej Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I help make iOS games!
    Atlanta, GA
    Oh! I forgot to mention another way to extend is winning time on the chance wheel at the end. You can win +15 and +30 seconds there, as well as free boosts and coins (doubled if you buy the doubler - which is a pretty nice perk).

The 2-minute limit keeps games shorter but more intense. As mentioned, sometimes people would spend an hour playing the original game, carefully swiping condos. When you only have 2 minutes you really gotta be quick without toppling the tower. It's pretty excellent. :) /biased

4. dadamlamim

dadamlamim Member

Sep 17, 2012
    OMG. Instabuy!

5. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    MAMC is an amazing game but what does this change from it except the title?

6. toshiX

toshiX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Ya I'm wondering the same thing. I love the first game and I think I have bought almost all the adult swim games. That's why I'm looking at this thread now... and I'm kinda disappointed. Correct me if I'm wrong... The gameplay is the same except that it's now 2 min and we have iap to purchase coins to boost scores?

Feels kinda like adult swim is doing a crapcom, no? Maybe I should hold on for Super Monsters Ate My Condo! Arcade Edition!!! :D

7. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #27 TheFrost, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
    I really want this game.. please time roll on sooner (7 hours left)

8. SwimCeej

Dec 10, 2008
    I help make iOS games!
    Atlanta, GA
    Lots, actually.

New condo types (good and bad), boosts, hats, chance wheel (w/Helga), a new level-up/progression system, sync progress via iCloud, Events (with the chance for higher scores), dog condo which activates 2 monster powers at once, slightly tweaked rules around matching, and the 2-minute time limit (which can be extended through play and/or boost). I'm sure I'm forgetting some things.

When you boot it for the first time you might not notice much has changed, but here's the thing: We found with the original game - anecdotally from people telling us, looking at leaderboards and then bringing in some play testers - that while people liked it many didn't "get" some of the core game mechanics. They went through the tutorial but didn't read the dialogs so they didn't know what they were doing even if they enjoyed the game. With Super Monsters, the leveling up progression and mini-goals along with a few new interactive tutorial bits will help reinforce strategies that many never picked up on. We hope that will mean a lot more people enjoying the game!

So - when you start it'll feel similar to the original, but we stack and pile on new concepts and more advanced play styles as you go along. There's also a much deeper How to Play section that spells out more advanced techniques and game info.

9. SwimCeej

Dec 10, 2008
    I help make iOS games!
    Atlanta, GA
    I hope that people will like what we're offering here. There's a bunch of new content and ways to enjoy MAMC more than before - it's not the same game! :)

10. SwimCeej

Dec 10, 2008
    I help make iOS games!
    Atlanta, GA
    Re: 2 minutes - I'm testing an update of the game (that fixes the twitter pic when you post and a couple other small things), and just went for 3 minutes 50 seconds - https://twitter.com/superpac/status/250996680038682624

And, this wasn't my best round. :cool:

11. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I had thought that MAMC was one of the games I'd like to see update for iPhone 5's larger screen.

But a MAMC full of consumable IAPs? No thanks. Especially when you have to pay for the app up front. I don't care how unnecessary they are. They exist, and especially in a high score game that means to truly compete with high score you'll need to buy a bunch of power-ups.

I understand these developers need to make money, but it saddens me that we've gotten to a point that this is the only way they can make money.

12. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    but you can put a spaghetti-pot on mr. shigotos head... thats well worth a buck (at least for me) ;)

13. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Honestly, I kinda lost my excitement too. IAP and high-score games don't mix for me. I'll probably pass.

14. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    I will pass.
    I loved the first, but this have time limit and i hate game with time limit becase limit ;) my strategic option.
    Why make the two minutes mode the only one, why it's not an optional game mode?
    It's also full of IAP.
    Mmmmhhh... No thanks, sorry.

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I'll reserve judgement until hearing more from people playing the game. But IAPs that can affect leaderboards is a big no-no with me as well so I hope that's not the case.

16. playpunk

playpunk Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    Teacher, curator, author, artist
    San francisco
    Two minute mode sounds like "two minutes to take your money mode " to me. And then there's the next two minutes, and the next two minutes, and the next two minutes, etc big pass big fail. :(

17. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Ok I need this! Yes IAP, but I dont care, I'm not aiming for high scores anyway

18. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I prefer this as an update to the original (even with iap to unlock). Now i must have one game for the survival (high score) mode and one for the blitz mode on my phone...

19. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    holy awesome !!!!

20. madebymadison

madebymadison Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Artist
    I wonder if there are still games out there without IAP.
    Even the ones that never had it get upgrades to milk you for cash.
    I saw the title and was super excited. Then I saw this for what it really is, like SO many games these days. So no. I'll stick with the first MAMC which is an iOS classic executed to perfection.