Universal Gunslugs by OrangePixel

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by psj3809, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Was just playing now and survived the first world without running out of ammo or feeling like a chicken without a head. What a Great game. I'm very impressed with this title. Glad I got it:)

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #62 awp69, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
    Wasn't sure if I was going to pick this up, but reading the comments here, I couldn't resist.

Note to Ravenous Games - this is how you make a retro shooter/platformer (was disappointed in Random Heroes). Great game!

Only minor thing that bugged me was that you can't re-enter a building once you've been in it. My own fault for pressing to go out, but just made me wonder why you couldn't go back in.

Other than that, having fun and loving the random generation of levels.

3. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Finally got a chance to play and I like it a lot. This would be an endless shooter I think... the music is catchy and awesome, controls are perfect, different endless levels with random generarion, plenty of ammo and health and the best part: the endless gunning and destruction. OrangePixel has done it again.

4. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Just got my best score so far, made it to the third area. Blowing up helicopters with mines is a good tactic. ;)

5. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Why isn't this game getting more attention? It really deserves it!

6. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    You guys are awesome!

(But that's still beside the point, isn't it?)

7. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

You call running out of ammo a game design flaw..

Does that mean that if you lose a life in a game that's also bad game design?

There's no point in having an ammo counter if you expect the game to always give you ammo anyway, that's like an energy bar that never runs out!

The game design is simple: ammo and weapons are spawning all over the place, if you manage to run out.. you might have to shoot more accurate or manage your bullets more. I guess you could call it some tactical game play.

8. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I can't believe you are trying to defend this or that I actually need to spell it out to someone who makes games. "Running out of ammo" is not bad design. Giving the player no choice but to suicide IF they run out of ammo is bad design. Give them a melee weapon. Let them hit stuff with fists. Make it so underpowered in comparison to guns by all means, that they would never choose to go there and will still attempt to avoid it at all costs. But for crying out loud, don't make the player have to stand in front of a crate with no way to break it and instead have to either quit the game or run around looking for a monster to kill them. That's just ridiculous. And I'm done with this topic.

9. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    @Gabrien Ammo boxes are everywhere, when you get new guns their ammo is full, when it gets empty (do it on purpose with the grenade launcher) the weapon you had before is full of ammo... It adds to the strategy of the game and its balance. You must be really bad at this game :p

10. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    @ Gabrien Thanks for calling me awesome! It was short lived though because I've died quite a few games within the first world. I wasn't paying enough attention to my life meter and game over. Because of random stages I've had some where I felt like a chicken with........
    I guess I'm just not put up on a pedestal material!

11. orangepascal

@Gabrien

But there is still a choice if you run out of ammo.. there are landmines all over the place, that's the design I put into this game according to my own vision and humor (running without a gun having all those enemies following you is a pretty funny image imho).

You might not like the gameplay design in the game, that's fine, but don't call it "Bad design" because it's not the way you would prefer it or want it.. I'm sure once you create a game according to your grand vision there will be plenty of people telling you to do it different, cause you can't simply create a game that everybody loves and likes 100%.

good discussion tho!

12. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I'll side with th majority here. I was the one bringing up the running out of ammo thing first. It was weird when that happened the first time - it was in the world of the first boss.

Since Pascal stated that that's how the game was designed, I accepted it and tried playing the game with that in mind, and it really is just a matter of not keeping the thumb constantly on the fire button. There's plenty of ammo around.

I'll concede that the whole "use mines to kill people if you run out of ammo" is really not something that could be easy to do, since you'll have lots of people running after you to shoot you before you find a mine.

That being said, it's a design choice that I don't disagree with that much, in the sense that it doesn't feel unfair so far, and also because you can always try to scavenge ammo in different buildings, but there could certainly be a case for a small alternative. In most games where you run out of ammo, there's usually a weaker and less effective weapon that you resort to - usually a knife, or punches, or whatever. I certainly don't think that would fit this game, but if Pascal wants to consider doing something about it, some tactics I've seen implemented are either to lose the automatic fire, so that you literally have to press the button for each bullet you want to shoot, or maybe have the ammo being restored very very slowly, like say, after 10 seconds you'd get 10 bullets, and that would be it - like if the soldier had spent all his automatic munitions and now is just using a manual charger, and that's the time it takes to reload - and that's also why it's capped at 10, so that people don't just stop at a quiet place to restore all their ammo.

Just some thoughts, and only really because I wondered, in the level of the boss where I ran out of ammo, how would I be able to survive if I had run out of ammo before killing it, because there are no mines or alternatives around.

Otherwise, I am comfortable with the current way it is designed. I'd just ask Pascal to make sure that there are really no places where you can run out of ammo easily and get into a dead end, in those boss stages, or for him to put some ammo being dropped down in a parachute if that happens in those situations :)

Have a great weekend.

13. Personally I purposely try and use just the mines to kill as many as possible, something more satisfying about it!

14. orangepascal

that's the reason that every boss stage at various points in the boss-cycle spawns a bunch of soldiers ;)

if you are low on ammo during a boss stage, best tactic is to avoid the boss, wait for the soldiers, and attack them for ammo and medikits (and a weapon if you are lucky)

I do like the dropping of ammo as idea tho, cool enough to put on my list! Could make the general add some text containing words like idiot, loser, etc ;)

15. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #75 Andy C83, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
    Gah, delete.

16. Flame thrower is my favourite too!

17. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Haha, I like the way you think!

I have run out of ammo once in all of my games, it happened during the first boss fight. In my defence, I didn't actually know that you could run out of ammo at the time, otherwise I'd have taken a different approach. Now I'm much more careful and considered with my precious bullets. ;)

I'm at a point now where I can regularly complete the first area with continue intact, a bit harder to do that in the jungle area, but I'm getting there. The flame thrower is my favourite weapon so far. ;)

18. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Sorry, delete this please. :)

19. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #79 syntheticvoid, Jan 19, 2013
    Yeah... I just woke up then... Delete

OH MY GOD IM TURNING INTO A REDNECK!

20. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #80 Andy C83, Jan 19, 2013
    Sorry, just had a bit of a 'mare replying to a post... son. ;)