Universal Pocket Planes by NimbleBit - Join Flight Crew #TouchArcade

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 13, 2012.

1. selcouth

selcouth Member

Mar 25, 2011
    #521 selcouth, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
    Are the monetary gains from managing layovers worth it vs hopping airports on a long route for someone who can't play full time? It seems you'd have more idle planes with shorter trips compared to an ensured profit from a long trip.

Another thought: If I have airports A B C D and I'm trying to layover D destinations at C so I can send a full plane, the profit from A to C is reduced if I'm just dropping people off. I know you get the bonus for C to D at the end but does it significantly outweigh the profit from straight A to D?

2. tf58

tf58 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Another possible bug: I just upgraded Calgary from a class 1 to class 2 (it's serving as my hub for western Canada). But when I look at the airport details, it is still saying it is class 1, yet it has a layover capacity of 10 (it was 5 before the upgrade). Also the overall airport scenery is that of a class 1 with the chainlink fencing, instead of the class 2 airport scenery with the small flight info monitors hanging from the ceiling. And the upgrade button for Calgary is now saying upgrade 3.

3. selcouth

selcouth Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Upgrading an airport does not increase its class. It adds more jobs and layover slots.

4. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    #524 visionwebs, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
    I wish i could show you my iPad, using layovers can be useful and I went cross Atlantic so have half planes flying local fast for small money, and big planes flying across the sea for slow but lots of money :D

Il see if I can help you recover and send you a few plane parts later, dont have many bux but could spare one or two in gifts.

Edit: hey I sent you 3 parts to make a simple plane, it's not that good but for 4bux to build it I guess you could turn it into a profit if you need something cheap and nasty to get out and fill up a slot.

5. araziza

araziza Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    NICE! Turned level 8 and bought New York!!! but now I'm broke...

6. chankz3910

chankz3910 Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Is anyone else having an issue with their game stats page? My graph showing revenue/miles/flights shows nothing aside from a small pink blip in the upper left hand corner even though i've been playing for about 3 days.

7. sooz

sooz Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Seattle, WA USA
    Yep. I see the same thing - no graph.

8. sooz

sooz Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Seattle, WA USA
    Random thing that is helping me...

I'm painting my planes according to their general range. (I can't figure it out by the shape of the plane.) So 500mi range planes are primarily blue, 700mi range planes are primarily orange, 1000+mi range planes are primarily purple. That way when I go to pick cargo/route I have a quick visual cue that helps me more quickly select the right c/p for that plane.

If there are markings or screen annotations that already give you the range info on the airport screen or the cargo selector screen...I haven't seen them.

9. iDakota

iDakota Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Love Pocket Planes aside from the issue when I deleted the app I had to restart my game, unless I did a restore and backup from iCloud.

The only issue is the Flight Crew feature is broken and crashes the game.

10. tones4e1

tones4e1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Hi, I need some help here, I am lvl 10 already but game center still put lvl 7, how to make game center update?

11. TopherW

TopherW Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    So, should we all take a day off to give the 2nd and 3rd place team a chance?

It looks like the two groups should join forces then it would actually be a close battle. Right now, if they joined we would only be up by 573. Pretty impressive though that our score is higher than the next two teams combined.

12. thezman

thezman Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    How good is New York?Im Saving up to buy it but to connect it I will have to get some others airport (I'm in southwest US)so is it worth the 51K to get it?

13. akpak

akpak Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Here are a few tips I've picked up:

1. Jobs that pay Bux are worth more than gold jobs. It will look like you're taking a loss, but a Bux is worth ~500g (more if you're exchanging more). So if you immediately go swap that Bux for cash, it's a gain.

2. It is sometimes worth it to "deadhead" (fly an empty route) to a busier airport. You can offset the cost of flying the empty plane by watching for coins/bux while in flight. 1 bux picked up will still be a profit.

3. The number of layover jobs for each airport show on the map. If I have a layover job in Tokyo, the map will say "1L" next to the airport.

4. Try to group jobs going to similar places. You get bonus g for a full plane where every job is going to the same place. Use layovers to manage this.

5. Don't try to spread out too fast. You'll go broke upgrading the range on your planes.

6. Don't be afraid to close airports to maximize routes.

7. Name/color code your planes so it's easier to see at a glance what type they are.

8. Don't worry if you don't have Calgary, or can't get there. There will be other events closer to "home," and you'll make it all up then :)

9. Buying the parts for planes and building them yourself costs less than buying complete planes.

10. If there aren't enough jobs in an airport, or the wrong types, look at the top of the screen. It shows you how long until the jobs are refreshed. If you load your plane partially before new jobs, you can fill out your manifest for bonuses. Any job that's already boarded is "safe"

14. Dimsum

Dimsum Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Some tips which I thought might be useful to some people. This is just for those who may not be aware.

1. It is cheaper to build a plane through parts than buying it outright. You need a body, controls and an engine to build a plane. For example:

Airvan-m = 23 bux (to buy outright with no building)

Airvan-m Body = 3 bux
    Airvan-m Controls = 4 bux
    Airvan-m Engine = 4 bux

So a total of 11 bux + 4 bux to build it = 15 bux. A saving of 8 bux.

When you are in the Market - if there is a part that goes with a part you already own, then it is highlighted in green. So if say you have the body and an engine appears - the engine will be in green text.

2. You can get parts several ways:

-2.1 By buying airports (you will be given a random part)
    -2.2 By checking the market every 10 minutes. The items change every 10 mins, so if you don't see the part you want come back in the time stated on the top bar " NEW ITEMS <2MIN" to see if a part for a plane you want to create turns up.

3. Also additionally,
    [plane model]-c = CARGO
    [plane model]-p = PASSENGER
    [plane model]-m = MIXED (CARGO & PASSENGER)

15. akpak

akpak Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Jinx!

16. xkiller006x

xkiller006x Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Can anyone clarify how xp works? Is it based on the money for the trip or something like distance?

17. akpak

akpak Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Dang. I think the forum ate my tips post.

18. brighteyes74

brighteyes74 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Harrow , England
    Am I missing something?
    There is no iCloud sync between devices. Because someone put in there review great that it syncs between devices too.

19. Craddlecat

Craddlecat Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2011
    How do I use the layover system effectively? All I know it that you drop someone off at another destination. Thats it

20. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Should I save up and just buy the big airports?

Started of in West Coast US so I have:

Phoenix (4.2m)
    San Diego (3.1m)
    Las Vegas (2.0m)
    Salt Lake City (1.1m)