iPhone Yggdrasil for iPad - Ludonaute

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, May 3, 2012.

1. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Depends on your 12 year old ;). For me it's mind-bending and terribly daunting. But I think if I can get it, I'll be in love. And if I can figure it out, I think it'll be a gem for me. Personally I like that it's a solo game if you want it to be. That makes Me very happy.

Anne (is it okay if I call you that?), the game is great so far. I really enjoy it. But you HAVE to fix the text. For a game based on deep and complex rules, and a significant price point, having constant misspellings like "ennnemies" and weird disprgaized bolding/graphical disorganization in the text, it needs to be fixed. Badly. If there is any way I can help, I'd like to. I see tons of potential there, but this 'little' thing is a major put off.

Also, I read a few reviews that talk about changing the rules easily, but I see no way to change anything here, really.

The text in the game is something of a difficulty as well. Things are really small, and I'd love to see things at least a bit larger.

Lastly, I know this isn't possible so I don't know why I am even asking, but Landscape mode?? My lord I would love Landscape mode.

This would be really really really really really difficult. The text is tough enough to read on an iPad, and would be impossible on an iPhone. Maybe not impossible, but very close.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, I think an iPhone version would only be possible with a lot pan and zooming options.

3. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Fired this game up last night and had such a good time, my heart was pounding. It has an even greater sense of tension than Elder Signs as you see the Enemies inexorably advance and you know they get stronger with every step. I managed to squeak out a win with three gods.

I found this game a lot easier to grasp than Ghost Stories (which I still don't have my head around), but still not as easy to understand as Elder Signs. If you like Elder Signs but you want to try something a little more challenging, get Yggdrasil!

4. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I have yet to win but I admire the elegance of this game. With all of it's complexity it literally just boils down to pushing the baddies back from their advance on Odin's Stronghold. You can quickly see at any point how many steps they are away from ending your game as well as exactly what benefits they'll get with each step forward they make. Also, even when the baddies have advanced to a game ending position you still get one final turn to try to turn things around.

5. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I agree completely. I've played around 5-6 games, and have yet to win. Unlike Ghost Stories though, I feel like I know what I'm doing, and will eventually win. The satisfaction will be very high once I do break through. Honestly, I don't think I've even gotten within 10 enemy cards of winning, but somehow I don't feel frustrated. I think I may need to experiment with different Gods. I'm picking ones that seem to have obvious strengths, but I haven't won yet, so I may just switch things up and see if there are some other benefits that I haven't caught on to yet.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I liked Ghost Stories a lot, so obviously this one is on my radar too. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but it's just a matter of time.

7. famousringo

Jul 25, 2011
    For what it's worth, the three gods I won with were Frey (4 actions), Tyr (rolls twice), and Odin (draws two enemies and puts one back). I can see how Thor's +1 bonus and Freyja's ability to do the same action twice would be pretty nice, too (e.g., use swap to load Freyja up with vikings and beat back two enemies in one turn).

As for strategy, I made sure to visit the dwarves a lot at the start of the game until each god had two +3 weapons specialized against each enemy and I spent a fair amount of effort booting fire giants out of Midgard so viking recruits were plentiful. I also didn't allow any frost giant to cramp my style for long.

One thing I think I relied a little too much on were elves. A lot of die rolls failed to produce even 1 combat, so I used a lot of elves to make up the difference, and I can't help feel that it would have been more efficient to forget elves and just harvest and commit more vikings to the fight.

8. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Whoa. Progress is not saved? You start anew each time you open the game? Or am I missing something?

If I'm correct, why is there no save game? The amount of data needed to save all positions is minimal. Arrrgghh.

9. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Any clue why one game I played as Thor and Tyr was letting me occasionally pick between two enemy cards? If this is Odin's power and I didn't have him in the game why would I get his ability kicking in?

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Crap, I guess so and it seems odd as they have that "exit" button I just kind of assumed it was saving things when you hit that key UNLESS you want to start a new game.

11. ioticus

ioticus Member

Apr 19, 2012
    The lack of a save is something I've noticed with a lot of these iOS games. It really irritates me and I don't know why developers feels it's not necessary or important to include.

12. famousringo

Jul 25, 2011
    If you're talking about being able to pick which target an enemy power effects (eg, which island gets submerged by Jormungand), I noticed that from time to time, too. It's distinct from Odin's power, which might give you a choice of whether Hel or Loki advances this turn, and let's you either leave the other enemy on top of the deck or put it on the bottom.

I think it's a hidden power of Tyr. If Hel advances on Tyr's turn, a die is rolled (hidden to the player) to determine which island she kills some Vikings on. Since it's Tyr's turn, that die gets rolled twice and he gets to decide which result to take, unless they turn up the same.

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Ahhh, so these are symbolic die rolls he's choosing so it is still fairly consistent with his power. Makes sense.

14. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Ugh! Closest game so far ... 4 cards left! Haha this game is intense. Great fun for sure

15. famousringo

Jul 25, 2011
    Oh yeah, just smoked a game (on super easy) with Thor and Freyja. Freyja can arm up fast at the dwarves and then proceed to push back two enemies every other turn, as long as the other players help keep Midgard well-managed with easy vikings. Thor's combat bonus not only lets him reliably keep one enemy outside Asgard using only a +3 weapon and one viking, he's great at keeping the frost giant population under control.

I think the key to this game is not relying on die rolls. If you're counting on a lucky roll to win the day, you're not only gambling with the lives of your vikings, but with your precious limited actions. I never expect more than +1 from a die roll, and even then I keep an elf in backup. You might even be better off ignoring elves and dice and focusing on harvesting enough viking souls to guarantee a win (unless you're Tyr).

Time for me to start ratcheting up the difficulty.

16. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Ugh, I want to buy this, but spelling errors drive me crazy heh. Are there as many as it seems from reading this thread? Has the dev commented on whether they will be cleaned up?

17. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Spelling errors are absolutely NOT a reason to pass this up. They are not pervasive. The only one I know of is "ennemies". If you are interested in the game, get it.

18. sladeums

sladeums Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE

Aside from the tutorial/rules ... in game there are really only two occasions of having to read text - the 'you win' or 'you lose' screen.
    Both have a different typo.

During the bulk of gameplay there is really no text to read, everything is interpreted by symbols or runes.

But yes, there are typos/mistranslations (roughly 80 percent of them are 'ennemies' instead of 'enemies' nearly everywhere it occurs)...if these will seriously detract from your enjoyment of the game I would take a pass for now.

I've seen no committal statements from the dev regarding any updates.

19. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    To those of you having success winning games: are you using more than one god? I've only used one so far. Never occurred to me to use multiple in a solitare game lol

20. sladeums

sladeums Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I've got one win using just Thor and several using some combination of Thor and someone else.

Been trying to make it using three gods with no luck so far.