Castaway Paradise - (Stolen Couch Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by arta, Jun 11, 2012.

1. BMH

BMH Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
  2. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    The art style is great! Will there be an iPad version?

3. chubbypillow

chubbypillow Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    NY
    An animal-crossing like game done right. Finally! The iOS is the perfect platform for it too! Just hope its as good. Dig the artstyle :)

4. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Looking great!

5. BMH

BMH Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    iPhone 4 and up, iPod Touch, iPad 1 and up, Android phones & tablets, PC & Mac :)

6. FDDT

FDDT Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Looking forward to this game!!! I hope it gets multiplayer! Great work, guys! :D

7. BMH

BMH Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Thanks!

8. Underwater

Underwater Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Atlantis
    Looking forward to the release! The art style is wonderful.
    Watched the trailer on your blog, good trailer. But I'm disappointed that it is a freemium game :(
    I'll probably buy some IAP, but I rather pay a lot of money for a game without IAP.
    Still really looking forward to the release, great work! :D

9. Jxsgamer

Jxsgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    USA
    This looks great, and I like the ability to free-roam.
    Artwork reminds me of LoZ: WW and Happy Street.

10. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    What's the release date?

11. Whiteplayer3d

Whiteplayer3d Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Czech Republic
    Graphics is realy, realy nice ;)

12. BMH

BMH Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Thanks people!

About the release date: we won't announce it until we are absolutely certain. But it's months away.

13. BMH

BMH Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    By now, you all probably have been wondering what the game looks like when you are actually playing it. You probably even want to play it! Alas! That, we cannot offer you. What we can offer you though, are some nice screenshots from the latest build of Castaway Paradise.
    It has been a long time since we started developing Castaway Paradise. Ok.. not dinosaur-age kind of long, but still, since-the-discovery-of-Higgs-Boson-particle kind of long. By the way, did you know the word ‘dinosaur’ means ‘terrible lizard’? Weird, is it not? Dinosaurs are not lizards. But hey, who are we to argue with Wikipedia!
    Anyway, we have been working hard on the game and of course want to keep you updated with the progress of the game.

The latest addition to the game, of which we showed the sketches in the last update, is the Town Hall. Our designers have been implementing the new building into the game and we can now show you this architectural masterpiece through the player’s eyes.

[​IMG]

In this picture you can see the gold colored vault door. Look how shiny it is! It would probably not surprise you that this vault has been designed by Impenetrable Gold Colored Vaults Inc. It may be expensive, but hey: if it can stop Tom Cruise from entering, it is worth it, right?

[​IMG]

If you did not know of the fact about dinosaurs, you may as well not know about the following fact: llamas are amazing upsellers. Before I met Marcèl, I did not even know I liked sunglasses and now, as you can see in the screenshot, he sold me this fabulous pair of hipster sunglasses designed by a llama designer company all the way in France of which, according to Marcèl, you probably never even have heard of.

[​IMG]

The third and last screenshot shows what the inventory will look like. This particular inventory is only half full, but as you spend more time in the game and complete more quests, you will get many more items to fill your rucksack.

As you can see the game is getting into great shape. The basic mechanics of the game are as good as finished, but there is still work to be done: more quests and dialogue have to be written, objects, clothing and other cool stuff has to be designed, etcetera, etcetera. We are working hard on the game and we hope you like what we have done so far. If you have any feedback, please let us know in the comments!

Ps.: We found Marcèl in real life!

[​IMG]

TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5auLb0IL8g

14. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    #35 tso5818, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
    Will we be able to choose from a girl or a boy character and also choose our look like skin tone, hair, etc?

15. BMH

BMH Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    You can choose boy/girl. Skin tone cannot be changed. You can change your hair! :D

16. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Any timeframe for release yet? Super excited to see how this turns out...

17. shining jade

shining jade Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    :) I have some questions for you :)
    1. So what inspired you to make this game or to come up with the idea?
    2. You said real time, meaning night and day, so is there weather effects?
    3. If multi player is added, can friends help you with your little paradise?
    meaning can they give you items or leave them for you to get?
    4. I am wondering is there energy? If so if you want to play longer you will need to find a way to replenish it, with food or sleep? Or does this use IAP?
    5. It uses real time, so that means any plants you plant or quests you do that say 30 minutes or so, will be real 30 minutes am I correct?
    6. Is there or will there be a wide and large variety of items in the game, like clothes and other stuff ?
    7. What was the inspiration of the graphics?
    8. Will this have to use a facebook account to sign up or will Game-Center sign ins be in this game?
    9.Is this available to use, without a solid WiFi connection, or is it a online game only?
    Thanks for reading my comments the game looks cool reminds me of Animal Crossing and Happy street merged with Harvest moon in a way.:)

18. BMH

BMH Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    After we finished Ichi we wanted to create a different type of game. Something more people would enjoy. It would have to be super accessible, have lots of customization and would have to be potentially profitable to make :). After a short brainstorm session we came with an idea that was very much like Animal Crossing meets Zelda Side-quests. As the project progressed we incorporated a lot more things from games like Animal Crossing, harvest moon, farm ville etc.

This was originally planned, but cancelled. We do use real time for events, like christmas, halloween. But also things like the stock exchange, crops farming and planned events like when a traveling merchants comes to your island.

There will be 2 types of multiplayer. First is a-synchronize. You can visit someones island do activities etc. You won't see the other player. Later we will add full simultaneous multiplayer. This means you can interact with each other in many cool ways.

To balance the game out the watering cans do have water. Other items do not have energy.

Yes.

Oh yes! We have already made HUNDREDS of items. And when the game launches world wide there will be more than a THOUSAND items.

The cuby style we made for the game was conceived because we wanted the game to run well on as many devices as possible. The player can place as many objects as he wants on the island, which means that the polygon count per object must be quite low. We found a style that is both very cheap to render but also very appealing.

Game center = no. Facebook = yes. We use facebook not to spam, but to connect to your friends. For example, when you catch a fish you can immediately see how your fish compares to your friends'.

We do require an internet connection to play the game. This is because we push a lot of data to the player.

19. Back2funk

Back2funk Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2010
    England
    Oh dear :( was looking so, so good until this point. :(